No Venice next year?

trvllin1

I just read through the 2016 Europe Sailings and noted that Princess doesn't seem to be calling at the port of Venice AT ALL next year - let alone on the Island Princess, which they are supposedly altering in the upcoming dry dock so that it could sail into that port! Does this mean that they might possibly be reconsidering that disastrously ill-advised redo? Well, I can hope...

I just read through the 2016 Europe Sailings and noted that Princess doesn't seem to be calling at the port of Venice AT ALL next year - let alone on the Island Princess, which they are supposedly altering in the upcoming dry dock so that it could sail into that port! Does this mean that they might possibly be reconsidering that disastrously ill-advised redo? Well, I can hope...

There is conflicting information on what Venice is going to allow in ship size restriction . Princess never has really done Venice on their cruises in the pass.

There is conflicting information on what Venice is going to allow in ship size restriction . Princess never has really done Venice on their cruises in the pass.

Dunno... their Grand Med cruise has, for years, sailed between Venice and Barcelona with overnights in Venice...

Pacific is your only option if you want to stay with Princess for 2016. We're doing Rome to Venice on Celebrity. And I have no idea what Kamloops50 is talking about as the Grand Med of Barcelona to Venice has been a staple in their itineraries for years.

Edited by Cruise Junky

I'm not sure what you mean, but we sailed from Venice on the Royal in 2013 when it was brand new. Fab cruise and now is one of my favorites.

But what I heard is Venice is no longer allowing cruise ships in the Grand canal. I understand why but think it is sad at the same time. There is nothing like sailing from Venice. So stunning

I'm not sure what you mean, but we sailed from Venice on the Royal in 2013 when it was brand new. Fab cruise and now is one of my favorites.

But what I heard is Venice is no longer allowing cruise ships in the Grand canal. I understand why but think it is sad at the same time. There is nothing like sailing from Venice. So stunning

Cruise ships have never sailed down the Grand Canal.

Island will be in Alaska 2016 and I've read the redo is not about sailing into Venice.

The Pacific Princess will be doing Med itineraries and small enough for Venice, right?

Yes, we are looking at a 13 day cruisetour to Alaska in 2016 and the date we are looking at shows the Island Princess. We too thought the refit was all about Venice but that is apparently not the case at all. I'm kind of bummed about losing the public viewing areas due to the refit. It seems like they would have been really nice on the southbound voyage home.

Cruise ships have never sailed down the Grand Canal.

Lots of people have that misconception. They sail past San Marco square in one of the shipping channels. (It has a name I forget.). I don't think any cruise ship would fit in the Grand Canal. LOL

Yep. Best. Sailaway. Ever.

Venice is allowing the large ships in, the law was overturned, or withdrawn or something, but I did read that the cruise companies would voluntarily not send the big ships in until the new channel was dredged.

Cruise Critic covered the overturning of the ban in January and Princess is a CLIA member:

"A spokesman of P&O Cruises told Cruise Critic, "CLIA [Cruise Lines International Association] acknowledges and respects the verdict […] and its member lines have chosen to voluntarily refrain from bringing ships above 96,000 tons to Venice until a new navigational route becomes operational." They also added, "we are looking forward to welcoming a final decision by the Italian government on the alternative route for big ships in Venice."

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6140

Edited by Astro Flyer

Cruise ships sail along Canal della Guidecca.

Thank you for correcting me. I did not know the name of the canal and just thought is was all part of the grand Canal.

I still have vivid memories of being on a vapareto near San Marco square and seeing the Royal for the first time. What a sight that was.

Edited by timetravler

On Golden in 2002, the ship & tug were trying to back out while all the small boats of Venice came to play dodge-ems with us. Captain Andy kept backing, the tug kept tugging, and somehow there were no collisions. I guess there's an art to driving in Italy.

Steve

Actually, Princess has ALWAYS done Venice in the past. We personally have been there 3 times with Princess in the past 4 years.

Venice is dredging a new port on the mainland, but it's not completed yet. Meanwhile, the city would like to severely limit which ships can sail into the Giudecca Canal. The big ships are doing too much damage to the island. The cruise lines are voluntarily refraining from sailing the big ones in.

Edited by tothemall&beyond

Cruise ships have never sailed the Grand Canal. They sail the Giudecca Canal which is the waterway between Giudecca Island and the southern side of Venice. We always stay on Giudecca because it's so much quieter and real (all residential) than Venice itself, and the views of Venice are spectacular. There are several vaporetto lines that go there, and the hotels have their own shuttles as well. We got to repeatedly see that same view as the sail-ins and sail-aways.

Edited by tothemall&beyond

I've done four Princess T/A's sailing out of Venice.....

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G