New to Princess Anytime Dining Summary

dcdisney

We just took our first cruise on Princess on the Star and as much as others talked about waits for Anytime Dining on various ships I didn't really get it. So for other newbies the term ANYTIME dining It just is not true. If I called for reservations they only had 5:30 or 7:30 or later available which basically were the same times for traditional dining except you could switch between early and late with anytime. If you wanted to eat at an in between time it wasn't possible. They filled the only early anytime restaurant with people at 5:30ish and then they were not done until 7 or later. This impacted on being able to attend shows. They were honest about it though which I appreciated. We had thought we could go like at 6 and even if we had to wait 30 minutes no big deal get a drink but no at 6 the wait was an hour plus. At 6:30 it would be 45 mins. You get the idea. Just realize it will need to be 5:30 or 7:30 or later. The only benefit to anytime is being able to switch between early and late. Do make reservations that day though as it does make things quicker to be seated. We did find maybe just bad luck that the wait staff in the anytime only dining room was the least skilled as compared to the dining room that is early traditional and late anytime. So if you can wait until 7:45 hit that dining room rather than the anytime only one.

I'll be really upset if I experience what you describe on my upcoming Royal British Isles cruise. In fact, I already have a big cruise on Princess in my head for next year. If I experience what you did, I won't be booking it.

You must have missed the other Anytime dining room that is open from 5:30 on. You can show up at anytime and if there is seating available, you will be seated. If it is full, they will give you a beeper just like a restaurant on land.

One Anytime dining room has an early traditional seating at 5:30. If you want to eat in that one, you have to arrive after 7:00.

We have never made a reservation on any Princess ship. When we are hungry, we go. We have not waited either.

There are 3 dining rooms on the Grand and Royal class ships One is exclusively Traditional dining, two are Anytime with one of them holding an early traditional dining at 5:30

Edited by Mom33

Me thinks someone gave you the wrong information. We never make reservations. The Star as well as most of the other ships (not all) have 3 main dining rooms. The one on Deck 6 aft is for traditional dining. There are two mid ship on decks 5 and 6. One is Anytime from the time it opens and the other is Traditional from 5:30 to 7:00 (I believe) and Anytime after that.

We just took our first cruise on Princess on the Star and as much as others talked about waits for Anytime Dining on various ships I didn't really get it. So for other newbies the term ANYTIME dining It just is not true. If I called for reservations they only had 5:30 or 7:30 or later available which basically were the same times for traditional dining except you could switch between early and late with anytime. If you wanted to eat at an in between time it wasn't possible. They filled the only early anytime restaurant with people at 5:30ish and then they were not done until 7 or later. This impacted on being able to attend shows. They were honest about it though which I appreciated. We had thought we could go like at 6 and even if we had to wait 30 minutes no big deal get a drink but no at 6 the wait was an hour plus. At 6:30 it would be 45 mins. You get the idea. Just realize it will need to be 5:30 or 7:30 or later. The only benefit to anytime is being able to switch between early and late. Do make reservations that day though as it does make things quicker to be seated. We did find maybe just bad luck that the wait staff in the anytime only dining room was the least skilled as compared to the dining room that is early traditional and late anytime. So if you can wait until 7:45 hit that dining room rather than the anytime only one.

I've been on the Star a few times and totally get what you are saying. The dining room on Deck 5 opens at 5:30, but it fills up fast. If you aren't in line by 6:00 pm at the very latest, you won't get a table because they are all taken. I agree with you that the service is more rushed there and not on par with the service in the Deck 6 dining room.

We usually get anytime dining now, but we get in line around 7:30 pm for the Deck 6 dining room. Sometimes they open the door early. That gives us plenty of time for a leisurely dinner and to still make the show.

Another option is to skip dessert, see the show, then come back and have dessert afterwards. Sometimes we go back to the dining room, or one can go to the buffet or the IC. Lots of choices.

Most Americans like to eat early, but if you take a European cruise, you will be less likely to encounter a long line when the dining room opens for dinner.

I'll be really upset if I experience what you describe on my upcoming Royal British Isles cruise. In fact, I already have a big cruise on Princess in my head for next year. If I experience what you did, I won't be booking it.

Then you may want to book traditional if you want a set time and no wait.

Thanks for the comments.

I've had Anytime several times (5-6x) since it was introduced in 2001 and it's been pretty much as the OP described it. For me, it's never been "any time" no matter which dining room we went to or whether I made a reservation for the same table at the same time for the entire cruise. Always a wait and often, a long (45-min+) wait. Even with a standing reservation. I pretty much stick to Traditional now although on the Royal, we like to eat in the buffet.

Edited by Pam in CA

Something's off about this.

I am a cruise "newbie" and I never took traditional dining. With 7 cruises under my belt, I never had any issues described above, across 4 different cruiselines. I completely hate the fact that with Traditional dining, we have to show up at certain time. It's a vacation, I'd rather not follow another schedule (yes, yes, I know, shore excursions, shows, etc).

Longest I was made to wait was 15 minutes on Oasis of the Seas, in a fairly comfy waiting area, with wine available for purchase. And since we do not keep schedules, we came at peak and non-peak times. 15 minutes was longest I ever had to wait... No reservations, nothing.

I think the issue is when you choose to dine. If you go at a time we would consider early (any time before 8:00 ;) ) you are much more likely to have to wait. In addition, if you request a table for two you will probably have an even longer wait. However if you go at 8:00 or later there's usually not a wait, even for a two top. That has been our experience in 10 out of 11 Princess cruises (the 11th being on the Ocean Princess :) ).

On our one non Princess cruise (NCL) where everyone has Anytime (Freestyle) Dining there was always a wait and sometimes a very long one (that's what bars are for :) )

Edited by msmoger

You must have missed the other Anytime dining room that is open from 5:30 on. You can show up at anytime and if there is seating available, you will be seated. If it is full, they will give you a beeper just like a restaurant on land.

One Anytime dining room has an early traditional seating at 5:30. If you want to eat in that one, you have to arrive after 7:00.

We have never made a reservation on any Princess ship. When we are hungry, we go. We have not waited either.

There are 3 dining rooms on the Grand and Royal class ships One is exclusively Traditional dining, two are Anytime with one of them holding an early traditional dining at 5:30

Agreed , 1 Anytime dining room is open for the entire dinner hours , the other only after 7pm or so .

We always choose Anytime and have never called to reserve a time .

No reservations are needed .

Something's off about this.

I am a cruise "newbie" and I never took traditional dining. With 7 cruises under my belt, I never had any issues described above, across 4 different cruiselines. I completely hate the fact that with Traditional dining, we have to show up at certain time. It's a vacation, I'd rather not follow another schedule (yes, yes, I know, shore excursions, shows, etc).

Longest I was made to wait was 15 minutes on Oasis of the Seas, in a fairly comfy waiting area, with wine available for purchase. And since we do not keep schedules, we came at peak and non-peak times. 15 minutes was longest I ever had to wait... No reservations, nothing.

As you can see it depends on the ship.

What you describe is fairly common but not because there is a problem with anytime. Rather, many people like to eat early -around 5:30. As you say, the MDR fills up and is occupied pretty much for a couple of hours, when a lot of the diners are done.

We usually eat around 5:30, so we have never had a problem with anytime (except for one time, which I think was caused by a large group. They would come to the anytime dining room whether they had anytime or traditional and take up all the seats. So we had to wait...)

Other that that experience, we've had no problem. Now, I can see where if you show up at 6 or 6:30 you could run into a full dining room.

As others have pointed out, anytime is just like a restaurant. Get there when the place is full and you will have to wait. That does not make it bad per se.

The Star has been mostly on the West Coast for awhile now. She's been doing California Coastals, Alaska, Hawaii, Mexico cruises. The majority of the passengers are American. Most Americans like to eat early.

If i'm in the Caribbean, that's three hours ahead for me. This makes 8:00 pm like 5:00 pm on California time. I love having dinner at 8:00. I can stay up until midnight and it's only 9:00 pm.:D

Now if we are on a ship where the time doesn't change for us, we go to dinner earlier. Imagine what it's like for all of those East Coast and Mid-West people. When it's 5:30 pm on the West Coast, it's 8:30 pm for them. They must really be starving by 5:30. I know I would be.

Anyway, IMHO, this is why the Star is having more of a problem than some other ships/itineraries. Sometimes, after the first few days, the early eaters might go a little later, or try the buffet. On a seven-day cruise though, there's less of chance that one's appetite will adjust to the time change.

Agreed , 1 Anytime dining room is open for the entire dinner hours , the other only after 7pm or so .

We always choose Anytime and have never called to reserve a time .

No reservations are needed .

I think you misunderstood. The one dining room open at 5:30 for anytime dining would completely fill before 6pm and then none of those tables were re-opening until sometime past 7. The other anytime dining room did not even open until 7:45 so if you wanted to eat before 7:45 there was only 1 anytime dining room open and you could either go there by 5:45 or after 7:30. Part of the issue I'm sure was that many of the cruisers were adapting to the time change from the US so even 5:30 felt late. It was also a very early to bed cruise crowd so after 10 pm except for a few specific locations the ship was totally dead most nights. Even Skywalker's we frequently sat to read and watch the scenery and it was dead until we would leave around 11 but maybe it picks up later? Clearly not everyone can eat at the same time but selling an option as ANY time isn't really true on some of the ships in some areas. Knowing that as people plan can be helpful to prioritize dining room meals vs entertainment for example. I did not realize that was a choice we would have to make every night being on the anytime plan.

As you can see it depends on the ship.

Could be. Or I could just be that lucky. Out of all my cruises, I was never on the same ship. It was new ship every time, and spanning 4 cruise lines.

The "Anytime dining horror story" keeps coming up every now and then. and I guess I am just lucky I never experienced any wait, or bad staff.

We were not fond of the traditional dining experience on our first cruise, so on the Ruby British Isles, we chose Anytime. We tend to eat a little later, especially on the intensive port days of this cruise, and we never ever had a wait. Loved the option of choosing to sit with others and meeting new people or sometimes requesting a table for two.

We are happy with traditional dining, table for two. At breakfast and lunch we like to eat in the MDR and share a table with others. It works for us.

We did try anytime dining ONCE. On formal night we had to wait to be seated with a beeper. Never again.

We were on the Royal in May for the British Isles. We always ate in the Anytime dining room on deck 5. It opened around 5:30 (so says the Patters but I really think it opens a little bit earlier because we have walked by it and people were already sitting down). We usually went between 6-6:30 pm but sometimes a few minutes later. Rarely did we have a problem. We always asked to share a table. A couple of times they took us upstairs to the traditional dining room as there were empty tables there. You may see a line of people but really they are just waiting to be seated and therefore the line goes very quickly. We never waited more than 5 minutes or so.

Our previous Princess cruises were also Anytime Dining. Same experience as on the Royal.

We usually eat around 5:30, so we have never had a problem with anytime (except for one time, which I think was caused by a large group. They would come to the anytime dining room whether they had anytime or traditional and take up all the seats. So we had to wait...)

This is the biggest complaint about Princess ATD. Letting assigned time diners into the ATD MDRs.

We were on the Royal in May for the British Isles. We always ate in the Anytime dining room on deck 5. It opened around 5:30 (so says the Patters but I really think it opens a little bit earlier because we have walked by it and people were already sitting down). We usually went between 6-6:30 pm but sometimes a few minutes later. Rarely did we have a problem. We always asked to share a table. A couple of times they took us upstairs to the traditional dining room as there were empty tables there. You may see a line of people but really they are just waiting to be seated and therefore the line goes very quickly. We never waited more than 5 minutes or so.

Our previous Princess cruises were also Anytime Dining. Same experience as on the Royal.

We observed this on the Star last year. We had early Traditional, and sometimes they would seat Anytime diners in our section. There were a couple of tables that seemed always empty unless someone came from AD to sit there.

I think the problem is in the name. It's not Anytime you want to eat, it's just not an assigned fixed time. Meaning, come whenever you want and we will seat you on a first come, first served basis.

It fits us perfectly because we usually eat between 7:30 and 8 p.m. and we generally go to the dining room that had first traditional dining and then changes over to Anytime. I love not being on a schedule or having people wait for us.

If we do have a wait, as someone said, "that's what bars are for".

I think the problem is in the name. It's not Anytime you want to eat, it's just not an assigned fixed time. Meaning, come whenever you want and we will seat you on a first come, first served basis.

It fits us perfectly because we usually eat between 7:30 and 8 p.m. and we generally go to the dining room that had first traditional dining and then changes over to Anytime. I love not being on a schedule or having people wait for us.

If we do have a wait, as someone said, "that's what bars are for".

Good post above! ^^^^

We love Anytime and have never had a to wait more than a few minutes ... but we are happy to share a table with others with any waiter. :)

LuLu

• 3 weeks later...

WE were on the Ruby Princess in Alaska last week and the Anytime Dining was a disaster. If we did not make reservations every day, we waited for at least 45 minutes. We have used AD on other ships in the last few years and it was great. So, not sure what the major change was on the Ruby. Also, they had two days which were Open Seating. Meaning that anyone who wanted to eat in a dining room, just showed up and took any table they wanted. That was a real problem for people who had Traditional Dining and wanted to eat at their same table every day. If they did not tell their waiter the night before that they intended on being there, they showed up and their tab;e was taken. The thing that I found so strange about this is that the last night was Open Seating. When we have used Traditional Dining and had a waitstaff that was exceptional, we always took them an extra tip envelope on the final night. For those that did not get their reserved table on the final night, it made this kind of awkward for both them and the waitstaff and could inhibit their final tips :confused: