Hawaii excursions...

Oceansurfcb

Hello everyone,

Future hubby and I will be going on a cruise to Hawaii soon for our honeymoon. First time on Princess.

We're trying to decide on which excursions to take.

Here's what we've selected so far:

Hilo : Helicpoter tour, waterfalls and hawaiian BBQ

Honolulu : Hollywood movie sites, ancient fishpond and tropical garden.

- will we really see movie sites that are that visible?

Kauai : Na Pali cruise and snorkel

- we were hoping to see the kauai coffee plantation but can't find it anywhere. The snorkel might be more interesting anyway. Can always find coffee somewhere else hehe.

Maui : Atlantis submarine

We really need your opinions on these. It will be our first time in Hawaii and we're hoping to make the most of it :)

Thank you all in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello everyone,

Future hubby and I will be going on a cruise to Hawaii soon for our honeymoon. First time on Princess.

- we were hoping to see the kauai coffee plantation but can't find it anywhere. The snorkel might be more interesting anyway. Can always find coffee somewhere else hehe.

We really need your opinions on these. It will be our first time in Hawaii and we're hoping to make the most of it :)

Have you joined the roll call for your cruise? :)

Have you joined the roll call for your cruise? :)

Yes, join your roll call. Folks there will have specific advice. You will love the Hawaiian cruise. Lots of sea days coming and going. Congratulations on the marriage! :)

Not sure what "movie sights" the tour shows you, but I would definitely put a tour of the Pearl Harbor Memorial before any other while in Honolulu.

If you do the PH visit as part of a shore excursion that includes a Honolulu city tour by bus, the one I took years ago took us past Iolani Palace and Punchbowl cemetery (where Hawaii 5-0 and others have filmed) as part of the tour anyway. I'd check for updated info on this tour to be sure.

Enjoy your honeymoon cruise! Hawaii is great for newlyweds.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78
clarity

My fav memories....

• on the Big Island... must do volcano activities.... by land, sea, air, or a combo depending on how much time you have... lava sightings are not guaranteed, but it's such a bonus...
    http://www.bluehawaiian.com/bigisland/video/Big_Island_Intro
  • On Oahu... I'd like to learn about the culture and history of the people... The Polynesian village is a must stop for a first timer. Love the night show.... Although it is a significant distance/time from Waikiki.

U5n6vUceBjU ADdDVsIYbls 2rsFmFDczYQ oW3pnLy-OIc dAbexBZiJY8

I live on Oahu... You asked for opinions, so here it goes.

Oahu: The "Hollywood movie sites" is most likely referring to Kualoa Ranch. Yes you will see real sites from Jurassic Park, Wind Talkers, Lost, Fantasy Island and countless others. It's a beautiful place. However, I agree with another poster who says to visit Pearl Harbor. Hitting the Arizona Memorial followed by a visit to the USS Missouri is "must do" for your first trip to Oahu.

Polynesian Cultural Center is great, but you need a full day and into the night (10:00 am until 9:30 pm or so) to fully experience it. Save it for a non-cruise or pre/post cruise experience.

Hilo: make sure you see Kilauea. When else will you see an erupting volcano?

Kauai: What you've selected is perfect.

Maui: Atlantis is neat. Haleakala is neater.

I hope this helps.

P.S. For Maui, I would recommend renting a car so you can do other stuff on the way to/from Haleakala. You might just get your itch for a coffee plantation scratched, along with a visit to the sugar museum, experiencing a no kidding Hawaii country store, some shopping, and a break from all your fellow cruisers. You probably wouldn't have time to drive to Lahaina too, but if you did, it's well worth it.

Agree with kama aina - adding maybe:

Maui: snorkel Molokini - beautiful!

Kaua'i: Seeing the Na Pali coast is important and beautiful - but snorkeling is dicey - we've tried 3 times and never got in the water (weather, temps, winds, whatever). But Ziplining! Woo Hoo! Or a visit to Hanalei Bay / Pier, or a helicopter tour are our choices. Kaua'i coffee is so good, but I've not seen a recent plantation tour advertised.

Oahu: You may be on Oahu long enough to get some garlic shrimp at Giovanni's on windward side on your way to Dole Plantation.

Of course, stop at an ABC store for some Spam flavored Macadamia nuts

Oahu: The "Hollywood movie sites" is most likely referring to Kualoa Ranch. Yes you will see real sites from Jurassic Park, Wind Talkers, Lost, Fantasy Island and countless others. It's a beautiful place. However, I agree with another poster who says to visit Pearl Harbor. Hitting the Arizona Memorial followed by a visit to the USS Missouri is "must do" for your first trip to Oahu.

Polynesian Cultural Center is great, but you need a full day and into the night (10:00 am until 9:30 pm or so) to fully experience it. Save it for a non-cruise or pre/post cruise experience.

I hope this helps.

I'm also from Oahu, sometime, but did grow up here.

Much depends on time of year.

Hilo, the helicopter ride is nice, but would be better if you rented a car from Harper's trucks just a around the pier with less wait time. Drive to the Volcano National Park and spend the entire day there. Hilo is my favorite town.

Maui, December to March is whale watching season. I'm older now and prefer to take the a Princess tour where they pick you up from the ship. Less travel time, more watch I me. You are young. You might enjoy a zodiac whale watching experience with the humpback whale society. I always worry about leaving the Lahaina area by car. One traffic accident or one brush fire and you are stuck. And since is usually the last stop...I'm not that much of a risk taker. Or take a tour out to Molokini to snorkel.

Kauai, best excursion you could take is the zodiac/Na Pali Cliffs. I heard the movie site tour was awesome.

Oahu, been to Kualoa Ranch for all their tours. Highly recommend you get online tickets for the Arizona Memorial. Rent a car and drive yourself around the island. Polynesian Cultural Center? If you must (hear my reluctancy) save it for when you return by land.

If you happen to have the cultural ambassadors ELUA on board, then you are in for a terrific experience.

I've done this voyage multiple times and would go again.

Displace Local Girl

P.S. For Maui, I would recommend renting a car so you can do other stuff on the way to/from Haleakala. You might just get your itch for a coffee plantation scratched, along with a visit to the sugar museum, experiencing a no kidding Hawaii country store, some shopping, and a break from all your fellow cruisers. You probably wouldn't have time to drive to Lahaina too, but if you did, it's well worth it.

How is the road to Hana these days? I rented a Jeep years ago, and did the full loop (over the dirt road portion as well) from Kahului thru Lahaina and back to Kahului. I heard a rumor they might be paving all of it at some point. I remember having lunch at the Hana-Maui and visiting Hasegawa's country store. A great time, but perhaps too much for one day for some people.

To the OP: The road to Hana is a winding two-lane road on Maui with spectacular ocean views, but I recommend it only for skilled drivers as there are some steep cliffs if you should miss a turn :eek:.

How is the road to Hana these days? I rented a Jeep years ago, and did the full loop (over the dirt road portion as well) from Kahului thru Lahaina and back to Kahului. I heard a rumor they might be paving all of it at some point. I remember having lunch at the Hana-Maui and visiting Hasegawa's country store. A great time, but perhaps too much for one day for some people.

To the OP: The road to Hana is a winding two-lane road on Maui with spectacular ocean views, but I recommend it only for skilled drivers as there are some steep cliffs if you should miss a turn :eek:.

I'm confused & I live in Maui. ;)

Your description seems to be combining 2 different routes...the Road to Hana to the southern end of Maui and also the drive around the north end of Maui through Lahaina & Kahakuloa roundtrip from Kahului.

The RTH description with steep cliffs sounds more like driving the north end of Maui. It's been a couple of years since I drove the northern route near Kahakuloa & it was a narrow dirt road & basically a single lane in sections. There are steep cliffs there & some young German tourists were lucky to survive a plunge down the cliff.

The RTH as far as Kipahulu (Ohe'o Gulch...AKA 7 Sacred Pools) is paved but wouldn't recommend going further.

"Oceansurfcb"...I was disappointed with the Atlantis sub & think there are better things to do on Maui.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I'm confused & I live in Maui. ;)...The RTH as far as Kipahulu (Ohe'o Gulch...AKA 7 Sacred Pools) is paved but wouldn't recommend going further...

A bit OT: Sorry for the confusion! I did take the RTH by Jeep starting in Kahului and going beyond the 7 Sacred Pools, along miles of dirt and poorly paved roads along the southern tip of the island, then back up through Kihei (not Lahaina) and through the valley back to Kahului.

It was a spectacular drive, but not for the faint of heart. In fact I recall a sign advising not to attempt it in a rental car. But it was nice weather, with little chance of rain, and I figured that I got to see a part of the island very few haoles from the mainland like me ever will ;).

P.S. I haven't driven the north end of Maui, at least not beyond Kaanapali. It does sound a lot like the road I took beyond the 7 Sacred Pools, though, as far as condition.

http://ultimatewhalewatch.com/ Maui

This tour is with a small number of people in a Zodiac boat and was amazing! They are very safe yet laid back and told us that we could sit on the side of the boat as long as one foot was touching the floor at all times. So my other foot was dangling in the water! It was so much fun!

I haven't driven the north end of Maui, at least not beyond Kaanapali. It does sound a lot like the road I took beyond the 7 Sacred Pools, though, as far as condition.

This describes & shows photos of the route around the north end of Maui which to me in some sections is even worse than the southern end.

http://www.hawaiihighways.com/photos-Kahekili-Hwy.htm

Edited by Astro Flyer

This describes & shows photos of the route around the north end of Maui which to me in some sections is even worse than the southern end.

http://www.hawaiihighways.com/photos-Kahekili-Hwy.htm

:eek: Yes, a couple of those pics look worse than I remember the southern end. At least the north end appears fully paved; part of the southern road was washboard dirt that I imagine becomes muddy when it rains, unless it has been paved by now. I would only attempt it in a 4x4 for that reason.

Hello everyone,

We've been on the RT to Hawaii out of LA three times on Princess. And there's many others who have repeated this cruise even more times than us. It's a lot of fun, including the sea days. Princess has a Hawaiian enrichment program featuring hula classes, uke classes, lei making classes, talks on the Islands, etc. If you're on a ship with Elua, they're a musical duo who will teach many of the classes as well as perform daily (up on deck on in the Piazza).

Don't try to stuff too many activities in each port. You might need a vacation after your honeymoon if you are on the go every second you're off the ship. Get a guidebook on Hawaii and try to narrow down what you want to do. I even gave some brochures I had collected to our teen with some post it notes and she helped with the planning.

We did a land trip to Hawaii for our honeymoon and spent time on Kauai and in Honolulu. Both of us had been there on previous land trips (long before we met each other), and the cruises were our last three times.

I hope this helps.

The Polynesian Cultural Center would be better for any return trip as it's a bit of a drive from Honolulu in the north eastern corner of Oahu. There's little "villages" you can visit to learn crafts and culture. There's a luau of sorts in the evening (but it's not considered one of the better ones) and the show is pretty spectacular. No alcohol is served as the PCC is ran by the Mormon Church. Since you'll need to be back on board by 10:30 (if your ship is leaving at 11pm), you're risking not being back in time.

On our last cruise, we did the Waterfalls and Movies tour on Kauai (I believe Roberts Tours does the one on Oahu, too) booked through Princess. This tour ranks up with my favorite ship excursions ever, and my hubby and 15-year-old enjoyed it too. The guide will show a clip from a film or two and then we'll stop at the location where the movies were filmed. We even saw the very beginning of the original (and never aired) pilot of Gilligan's Island and then stopped at the beach where the opening was filmed. I remember having to explain further what the show was to a British couple. Then we stopped for lunch at the diner where some scenes from The Descendants was filmed before seeing the beach where some films such as South Pacific were shoot. My daughter and I are movie buffs and my hubby loves waterfalls (and we saw some spectacular ones). (not too far from Hilo you can see some even more spectacular ones) But if you want to see places where movies are currently being filmed, most likely you won't. Usually any filming going on will be on closed sets for a good reason.

We did the Atlantis sub off of Waikiki, but I wouldn't say this is a must do.

Also re Kilauea, it's not always active. So don't count on it. On our first Hawaiian cruise, Kona was on the itinerary after Hilo, so our ship sailed by the volcano and we could see the lava flow into the ocean. A definite highlight of the cruise. It wasn't part of the route the last two times, but the volcano was not active at those times.

Congratulations! Hawaii will be a wonderful honeymoon as well as a cruise to get there. If you're in Waikiki, Honolulu, the Royal Hawaiin is gorgeous. In Maui, we loved the aquarium and of course all the other suggestions too. We went twice so what we didn't do the first time, we did the second time but we rented a car at each island. We loved our Hawaii cruise and so will you.

Please, make sure you do Pearl Harbor. It is a wonderful experience. We did it through Princess and it included a nice tour to PH, a visit to the Arizona Memorial, time for shopping, etc.

As mentioned, join your roll call. I would include a link but you did not say what ship or date you are leaving.

Congrats on the upcoming wedding.:):)

Here's my suggestion (having just completed a 15 day, four Island Hawaiian cruise last April). Once you have narrowed down your excursion choices, do some comparison shopping. There are several reputable Excursion companies that offer virtually identical packages as that offered by the cruise lines, at a significantly less costly price. And they include a "we'll get you back to the ship on time" guarantee, as well.

...VTX-Al

This would be my #1 recommendation.

Helicopter tour of Kauai island on a Hughes 500 with no doors. Tour by Jack Harter Helicopters ...

Also would suggest renting a car and touring a little on your own. Hawaii gets lots of tourist and there are many tourist traps. Have you thought about surfing, SUP boards etc?

And congratulations