On Deck Themed Lunch Buffet.

denmarks

Has Princess stopped the on deck themed lunch buffets? There were none on my last cruise.

For example these are from 2011.

Special stir fry station

Sushi station

Italian trattoria lunch

Oriental soup station

Fruit and smoothie station

Lebanese buffet

Pastry extravaganza

By "on deck themed buffet" I am just describing them. They were themed, on deck, and a buffet. They were called as described in my examples which are from the Patters. They were not in the buffet.

Edited by denmarks

By "on deck themed buffet" I am just describing them. They were themed, on deck, and a buffet. They were called as described in my examples which are from the Patters. They were not in the buffet.

I have to say in all our cruises I have never seen any food set up on deck.

Yes have seen some of the specialties you mention in the buffet.

I've only seen them on an Alaska cruise on the Coral Princess in 2012. We had an Alaskan fish barbecue lunch on deck leaving Ketchikan anda seafoo d buffet on Glacier Bay day. There were mussels, crab cakes, two types of salmon and the most wonderful halibut I’ve ever tasted – it melted in your mouth.

On our 2012/13 cruise on the Golden Princess, there were buffets right outside the door going to the Horizon on sea days. So I considered the an extension of the Horizon. There were different themes, including a dessert/tropical fruit one, Asian one, and Mexican one (that was on the day when we were in Ensenada -- many of us didn't consider that day as a true port day anyway).

SANY0524_zps8d4d8858.jpg

SANY0527_zpsea90d333.jpg

SANY0585_zps466a18c1.jpg

SANY0588_zpse071a376.jpg

The OP is NOT asking about the buffet - HC. The OP is asking about Lido deck food. I'm a Princess n00b who only started cruising in 2011 but I have never seen such a thing. If it used to happen in the past then I would guess it is long gone.

I know what you are talking about. We had them on our Island Princess Panama Canal cruise in March of 2015, and again in November of 2015 on the same ship and itinerary.

Some examples from ours were a fabulous fruit buffet and a Panamanian food buffet.

Maybe it depends on the ship and the Maitre' D. All the food was set up next to the pool. Our Asst. Maitre' D, Guido Ascolani, has 25 years with Princess and came over from Sitmar. I think that has a lot to do with it. He's one of the best and he was in charge of the Horizon Court and the pool area.

The OP is NOT asking about the buffet - HC. The OP is asking about Lido deck food. I'm a Princess n00b who only started cruising in 2011 but I have never seen such a thing. If it used to happen in the past then I would guess it is long gone.

My photos were taken on the Lido deck by the pool. It could be it's only on certain itineraries (ours was a 14-day cruise) or it may be a thing of the past. We have also been on at least one other cruise that had an elaborate buffet out on the Lido deck on the Island Night or Ultimate Deck Party.

I know what you are talking about. We had them on our Island Princess Panama Canal cruise in March of 2015, and again in November of 2015 on the same ship and itinerary.

Some examples from ours were a fabulous fruit buffet and a Panamanian food buffet.

Maybe it depends on the ship and the Maitre' D. All the food was set up next to the pool. Our Asst. Maitre' D, Guido Ascolani, has 25 years with Princess and came over from Sitmar. I think that has a lot to do with it. He's one of the best and he was in charge of the Horizon Court and the pool area.

Wow! I will hope for this on our upcoming Panama Canal cruise - although I do tend to get plenty of food otherwise. ;)

I've only seen them on an Alaska cruise on the Coral Princess in 2012. We had an Alaskan fish barbecue lunch on deck leaving Ketchikan anda seafoo d buffet on Glacier Bay day. There were mussels, crab cakes, two types of salmon and the most wonderful halibut I’ve ever tasted – it melted in your mouth.

I also had the outdoor seafood BBQ buffet on Lido deck during a 2013 Alaskan cruise & also a Mexican themed outdoor buffet on another cruise.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I remember some of those but have not heard it called "DECK" themed.

Whatever they were called, I don't remember any taking place recently. I dimly remember one with Mexican food on a cruise to Mexico. I didn't do those things anyway since they seemed to fall during odd hours.

Edited by shredie

We've been on many cruises where there was a special themed lunch set up on one side of the pool just outside of Horizon Court. As I recall they were usually on cruises longer than 7 days. You have to watch for them in the patter but they do happen.

Has Princess stopped the on deck themed lunch buffets? There were none on my last cruise.

For example these are from 2011.

Special stir fry station

Sushi station

Italian trattoria lunch

Oriental soup station

Fruit and smoothie station

Lebanese buffet

Pastry extravaganza

I know exactly what you're talking about. I've seen it on the Golden and the Star. It's usually set up outside the Port side entrance to the Horizon Court Buffet, near the Calypso Pool. Here's a Princess Patter that mentions the Oriental Soup Station, along with a few photos of the Lebanese Buffet:

5410625245_15d5588553_z.jpg

5684394947_493ebf288c_z.jpg

5684394809_350fd3950f_z.jpg

We saw it on our first Princess cruise which was to Alaska on the Golden. they had several different ones over the course of 7 days including a chocolate buffet. MMMM. They were all out on the Lido deck by a pool. Never saw it on our other sailings since.

I remember these well, but they were only o the Golden and definitely none on the Crown...

There was definitely a somewhat small (but very well attended) reindeer chile and a few other things buffet next to the Neptune Pool on Glacier Bay day on our Crown 7 day Alaska cruise in July. ;)

My photos were taken on the Lido deck by the pool. It could be it's only on certain itineraries (ours was a 14-day cruise) or it may be a thing of the past. We have also been on at least one other cruise that had an elaborate buffet out on the Lido deck on the Island Night or Ultimate Deck Party.

The buffet for the deck party was eliminated about three years ago.

I also had the outdoor seafood BBQ buffet on Lido deck during a 2013 Alaskan cruise & also a Mexican themed outdoor buffet on another cruise.

We have also experienced both of these.