Military credit

Sheltieluv

Disappointed that Azamara doesn't recognize military service.

As a Vietnam-era veteran, I have no expectation that any business should "recognize" my service of fifty years ago with anything. When one does, as Verizon Wireless just did with a very modest discount, I regard it as a lagniappe.

I'm unaware of any military discount onboard. As a veteran myself (USN) I would have made note if we (AZ) had one. And many years ago I worked for Cunard and sailed various times. I don't recall this discount...which isn't here nor there since my memory bank has purged my prior lines' programs and policies ;)

Operationally speaking though, how does Cunard manage this? Do veterans have to carry their old military ID?

I'm unaware of any military discount onboard. As a veteran myself (USN) I would have made note if we (AZ) had one. And many years ago I worked for Cunard and sailed various times. I don't recall this discount...which isn't here nor there since my memory bank has purged my prior lines' programs and policies ;)

Operationally speaking though, how does Cunard manage this? Do veterans have to carry their old military ID?

Hi Bonnie,

Our first cruise with Azamara back in 2009, we had a great military discount on a TA on Journey! RCCL, Celebrity and Azamara discounted cruises quite a bit back then. So, it was not onboard credit, but a reduced cruise rate that was offered. Same thing with resident discounts, past passenger discounts and senior discounts. The military discounts on Azamara disappeared quite a few years ago.....and yes, you had to bring a copy of your DD214 with you at check-in to prove you served.

Thanks to all the people who have served our country and are still serving!

It wasn't a "discount" per se. He received $100 in our account for on board spending on the Queen Mary 2. When we booked, my travel agent faxed Cunard his dd214, and the $ was in the account upon boarding. Very easy process.

Princess need a copy of your discharge papers (Yes, they give military OBC to UK veterans as well:D). P&O UK require you to bring said copies with you on board. It is a very simple process and does factor into my cruise decisions (albeit as one of many criteria).

Princess makes it easy. Email a copy of your DD-214 (SSN blanked out) and they put it in your electronic file. Shows up automatically as OBC - up to $250 depending on length of cruise. Likely the same process they use for shareholders. Nice perk. In an era of declining service to country many corporations now offer some form of discount to veterans. Home Depot offers a flat 10 percent on purchases. As mentioned, Verizon offer 15 percent on the basic contract. RCCL used to offer military fare discounts - few and far between these days.

Princess makes it easy. Email a copy of your DD-214 (SSN blanked out) and they put it in your electronic file. Shows up automatically as OBC - up to $250 depending on length of cruise. Likely the same process they use for shareholders. Nice perk. In an era of declining service to country many corporations now offer some form of discount to veterans. Home Depot offers a flat 10 percent on purchases. As mentioned, Verizon offer 15 percent on the basic contract. RCCL used to offer military fare discounts - few and far between these days.

Did not know that about Home Depot!...thank you!...My DH is there at least once a week!! LuAnn

Home Depot offers a flat 10 percent on purchases.

Here's what it says:

"

The Home Depot offers a year-round, 10 percent discount, up to a $500 maximum, at our U.S. stores to all active duty military personnel, reservists, retired or disabled veterans and their immediate families."

If this is correct, it's not ALL veterans, only retired or disabled veterans. I have been given a Home Depot discount on certain patriotic days/weekends like Memorial Day, Veterans Day, etc.

Just confirmed this on this web page:

https://m.facebook.com/notes/georgia-department-of-veterans-service/faq-the-home-depots-veteranmilitary-discount-policy/295752833772917/

Did not know that about Home Depot!...thank you!...My DH is there at least once a week!! LuAnn

Just have him show his retired ID card. My spouse has also received the credit showing her retired spouse ID card. Never had it questioned. All the clerks know the code for the discount. Lower does similar but only on specific holidays/events. There are many stores doing this. Do a search...

Here's what it says:

"

The Home Depot offers a year-round, 10 percent discount, up to a $500 maximum, at our U.S. stores to all active duty military personnel, reservists, retired or disabled veterans and their immediate families."

If this is correct, it's not ALL veterans, only retired or disabled veterans. I have been given a Home Depot discount on certain patriotic days/weekends like Memorial Day, Veterans Day, etc.

Just confirmed this on this web page:

https://m.facebook.com/notes/georgia-department-of-veterans-service/faq-the-home-depots-veteranmilitary-discount-policy/295752833772917/

Correct. Active duty and retired with ID cards.

Correct. Active duty and retired with ID cards.
Big difference between "veterans" and "retired [from the military] or disabled veterans." This wasn't made clear in many postings above, so it was misleading. OP didn't specify whether husband was "retired," just specified "former US Marine Corps."

Hi all. I'm the OP.

Again, with the onboard credit, it wasn't a discount on the cruise, as in receiving a percentage off the cruise price. It was $100 placed in our account for on board spending. Our travel agent faxed Cunard his DD214, with his social security number blacked out. Just wanted to clarify.

As far as discounts, my husband has "service-connected" on his VA card. At Home Depot, a veteran has to have that designation in order to receive any discount. At Lowes, a veteran does not have to be service connected disabled. Just show the military id/VA card, and the discount will be given.

Also, did you know that Bass Pro stores will also apply a 10% discount to veterans? We didn't know until we asked one day, just to be curious. The clerk immediately said "Yes!" as we were checking out. He just had to show his card.

By the way, he is not retired military. Served his time in Vietnam but did not retire from the Marine Corps.

DH is also a squid, retired after 23 years of service. We get military OBC on Princess for every cruise, part of his Captain's Circle record after he sent in his retired ID card (with sensitive info redacted). No need to carry the ID at check-in. RCI offers a military rate on occasion, and never requires proof. I took somebody's head off on one cruise when he bragged about getting the discount event though he never served:mad::mad::mad:. Celebrity seems to have an ongoing military discount these days, at least the last time I booked on them, last month. It would be nice for Azamara to do it, but as another poster said, it's really gravy (lagniappe is French for "gravy," isn't it?:p)

As for Home Depot, they don't give the discount on all items. You don't know what's excluded until you check out. Lowe's, on the other had, offers it on everything.

DH is also a squid, retired after 23 years of service. We get military OBC on Princess for every cruise, part of his Captain's Circle record after he sent in his retired ID card (with sensitive info redacted). No need to carry the ID at check-in. RCI offers a military rate on occasion, and never requires proof. I took somebody's head off on one cruise when he bragged about getting the discount event though he never served:mad::mad::mad:. Celebrity seems to have an ongoing military discount these days, at least the last time I booked on them, last month. It would be nice for Azamara to do it, but as another poster said, it's really gravy (lagniappe is French for "gravy," isn't it?:p)

As for Home Depot, they don't give the discount on all items. You don't know what's excluded until you check out. Lowe's, on the other had, offers it on everything.

Lowes just started offering "military discounts" this year (1 May), previously only on special holidays and sales. Home Depot has offered it all the time for at least the last 12 years that I am aware of...on everything I have purchased to include small items like light bulbs to large purchases like appliances. There is a difference. Lowes requires you to sign up, provide phone number and email address. Obviously for marketing. At Home Depot you only need to show your retired ID or "retired dependent" card at checkout. Lowes' offer includes "honorably discharged veterans" in addition to active duty and retired members.

Do agree it would be "nice" for RCCL to offer it on all cruises, as does Princess. Not all of us who have served or are serving in uniform can afford to purchase company stock (currently $125/share) for that discount, essentially giving an "entitlement" perk to the wealthier guests.

Edited by Globehoppers

Lowes just started offering "military discounts" this year (1 May), previously only on special holidays and sales. Home Depot has offered it all the time for at least the last 12 years that I am aware of...on everything I have purchased to include small items like light bulbs to large purchases like appliances. There is a difference. Lowes requires you to sign up, provide phone number and email address. Obviously for marketing. At Home Depot you only need to show your retired ID or "retired dependent" card at checkout. Lowes' offer includes "honorably discharged veterans" in addition to active duty and retired members.

Do agree it would be "nice" for RCCL to offer it on all cruises, as does Princess. Not all of us who have served or are serving in uniform can afford to purchase company stock (currently $125/share) for that discount, essentially giving an "entitlement" perk to the wealthier guests.

We've been getting the military discount at Lowe's for at least 5 years, no signup required, just show the ID. Although I haven't been there in the past year or so, so perhaps they've changed the program. And maybe HD has changed their policy, too. They both offer it to me with my retiree dependent ID card, too.

We've been getting the military discount at Lowe's for at least 5 years, no signup required, just show the ID. Although I haven't been there in the past year or so, so perhaps they've changed the program. And maybe HD has changed their policy, too. They both offer it to me with my retiree dependent ID card, too.

Great. Now Azamara needs to also recognize our service to country through a program similar to that offered by Princess.

Lowes just started offering "military discounts" this year (1 May), previously only on special holidays and sales.

Respectfully disagree. Lowe's has been offering "military discounts" for a number of years now - but it was to active duty and retired military (and possibly VA disabled vets). I know this to be a fact as I am a retiree and I have used their "military discounts" for at least 5 years in ME, MI, DC and now in SC. However, this year they did open the program to include all veterans, who provide the information you stated. Not sure of the marketing statement (my SIL is a veteran (USMC), provided the information and receives the discount. He signed up and, to date, has not yet received marketing materials or calls. The SIL provides his phone number and receives the discount, I, so far, have only shown my retiree ID. He is not eligible at Home Depot.

Home Depot has offered it all the time for at least the last 12 years that I am aware of...on everything I have purchased to include small items like light bulbs to large purchases like appliances.

Again, I have to respectfully disagree. Home Depot may have had some form of the program going for the those 12 years, but, at best it was willy-nilly and local(ized). At times (in the 4 states I mentioned) it has been honored throughout the country, has had a (per local determination) tag applied and has even gone away completely intermittently (based on locations) in the states I listed. In my experience, once Lowe's started the program, they have not deviated, except for the recent addition of the "all vets" status.