Sightseeing in Dubai

cannockfrodo

Can anyone advise me on if it's a viable option to have a driver for a day in Dubai as opposed to using the ho-ho bus.

Or is using the taxis a better idea ?

We've done the red route (old town) and the Burj so we'll be looking at the newer part.

Suggestions for evening entertainment would be welcome too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have reserved a guide for April 8-10,2017 in Dubai before we go to Singapore for segment of World Cruise Singapore to Abu Dhabi. We have agreed to $60 per hour for her guiding and transportation in a private SUV vehicle. For 3 persons and with hotel pick-up and drop off I think this is fairly good. I think a private guide is great for getting more out of a city -- so efficient to tour with someone who knows the way (and where the bathroom is and where to eat and what to eat and which door etc.). Last year my daughter hired a private guide for her family of 4 in St. Petersburg Russia. Her son, 7 years old, was so impressed ."We never stood in line once and she goes right to the front. Mommy when you got sick she even knew where the bathroom was!". Jill was impressed that the guide knew where a one year old could play on the lawn while brother had a playground. Yes HOHO can do some things but for a little more private guide adds lots of value.

Taxis in Dubai are really very inexpensive and are metered. A couple of suggestion for trips for you.

The Sheik Mohammed Centre for cultural understanding is well worth a morning. They will walk you around the old part of Dubai, provide a simple lunch and then take an open question and answer session about Islam, their customs etc.

For th evening, I suggest that you contact Bateaux Dubai and doing their evening cruise on the creek.

If you like a little adventure, there is an area in Dubai called Karama which is the centre of the 'designer ' handbag shops. Or you could visit Satwa, where there are numerous craft shops, selling all manner of items, so much cheaper then in the Uk, esp Swarovski crystals for jewellery making.

Finally depending when you are visiting, there is an outside shopping area called Global Village, which runs in the winter months only October to March/April. It is a great place to spend an evening, with specialty products from all around the world.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi last time we stayed in Dubai we had a driver booked thro the hotel and did an excursion to the Hajar mountains than lunch at the Hatta fort hotel, we than stayed overnight at the hotel but that part was for free as they had overbooked at the main hotel.