Seabourn Encore Dress Code

Vivace1945

We are booked for a 16 day Encore cruise in the spring of 2017. Does anyone know if they still have "formal" nights on board?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Formal nights are fewer and less frequent than years ago. There would be two formal nights every seven days. On an upcoming cruise, two firms cruises are scheduled for a total of 18 days. The fewer number of formal nights is representative of the increasing preference for more casual sailing. My husband would bring tuxedos in days if yore, but now may or may not bring even one tuxedo, and even then will dress it down. I will bring a gown, but I also favor stylish jeans and head to the more casual venue on the second formal night. I know that upsets some regular posters, but hopefully they will get over it.

Sent telepathically.

Actually I think you meant to say there is usually one formal nite every 7 seven days -- not 2.

Pardon my fat fingers and auto correct. Now see lots of typos. Years ago, a 7 night cruise had two or three formal nights (depending on itinerary). On our upcoming cruise of 18 nights, only two (2) formal nights are scheduled. Years ago the same length cruise would have had no less than five (5) formal nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And years ago formal meant tuxedoes and cocktail dresses or long gowns. Today formal means any kind jacket (blazer or suit) and even the tie is optional. For me formal nights no longer factor into the equation of what I bring along to wear.

• 2 weeks later...

Seabourn does not enforce a formal dress policy. A sports coat or even just a shirt or sweater and tie would be appropriate.

Ladies can wear just about any kind of dress or nice slacks and top. On our last cruise on the Odyssey on a small handful or couples got really dressed up. I like to dress up too but we never check bags and have learned to do carry ons only so there is no room for any kind of formal wear. Ladies do not even need heels, nice sandals are even appropriate. So if you choose to you can get formally dressed up or you can also wear anything that you wear to dinner any other night. You do not need to stay in your cabin or eat in the other venues.

My hubby will wear a sports coat and tie.

I would differ with your suggestion that Seabourn does not enforce the dress code. They most certainly do though on occasion they will let something pass. On our recent Antarctica cruise people were turned away from the Restaurant for not being dressed within the guidelines of the dress code.

What I will say is that the dress code has been relaxed in the past few years so I quite agree that it is nothing to sweat about and no need to stay in ones suite on a Formal nights. Just read the dress code in advance so you know that formal optional night does mean no jeans in any public space on the ship after 6PM. On other nights they are allowed in all but the Restaurant.

We are just back home from the Sojourn in Asia. We were happy to see that there was a large number of guest very well dressed. On the two formal nights many men wore tuxedo and we even saw some ladies in a long, elegant dress. It does give the formal evenings a nice athmosphere.

I usually wear a summer jacket on casual nights, also because the airco can get a bit chilly in the main dining room and the grand salon.

The 'formal optional' gives everybody a change to dress as they like. We enjoy dressing up, others may not. And definitely no one should be confined to their cabin because of a dresscode. We are on a holiday after all.

Sorry but I do not accept the equation between a tuxedo or gown and very well dressed. People can be very well dressed in far less formal wear.

I think your reading that into it, it doesn't say that in the same sentence. Why are people so picky at what people say on this forum!!!!!!

Sorry but I do not accept the equation between a tuxedo or gown and very well dressed. People can be very well dressed in far less formal wear.

Wripro, although SB and other luxury lines travelers can be well dressed at the minimum code requirements, only those that exceed the code should be deemed as very well dressed. Of course, discounting for bad taste, which may exist at any code level. I applaud those that go over and beyond, and never look down on those that do not. As many have said, follow the code, but, I say, exceed it, if it is your pleasure.

I have not been on CC in quite some time but decided to peruse the boards again. I am amazed (and disappointed) that dress "code" continues to be such a prevalent, and dare I say, divisive topic. Does anyone else not wonder why it brings out the nastiest sides of cruisers and rudest comments? I just want to say, get a life. Feel good in your own skin and don't worry about anyone else who doesn't live up to to your "standards" and those who don't abide the "rules." Rather than being the (unpaid) fashion police, enjoy your cruises. Just my own two cents, but curious how many will reply to my comment with some nasty comment.

Edited by Pop-I

The days of 'nasty' comments are almost over, now that the newer more relaxed rules have been in place a while.

To say that a jacket is required for men on a 'formal optional' night is simply trying to be helpful; you are likely to be turned away from the dining room without one. I don't know if SB still offer a loan jacket at the door of the dining room - I imagine they seldom fitted and were not really what anyone would want!

Wripro, although SB and other luxury lines travelers can be well dressed at the minimum code requirements, only those that exceed the code should be deemed as very well dressed. Of course, discounting for bad taste, which may exist at any code level. I applaud those that go over and beyond, and never look down on those that do not. As many have said, follow the code, but, I say, exceed it, if it is your pleasure.

So happy you have appointed yourself the arbiter of who should be deemed well dressed. Unfortunately, you also say follow the code and the code suggests far less formal than you do. Exceed it if it is your pleasure but abide by it as it states if that is your pleasure. And that is my pleasure.

The days of 'nasty' comments are almost over, now that the newer more relaxed rules have been in place a while.

To say that a jacket is required for men on a 'formal optional' night is simply trying to be helpful; you are likely to be turned away from the dining room without one. I don't know if SB still offer a loan jacket at the door of the dining room - I imagine they seldom fitted and were not really what anyone would want!

The loaner jackets weren't fitted. They didn't need to be as they were just placed over the back of a chair. At least IME.

Also if this thread could be shuffled off to the existing dress code mega roundabout that'd be great.

Also if this thread could be shuffled off to the existing dress code mega roundabout that'd be great.

That's not going to happen as long as people keep posting.

Sent from my dogs' iPad, but they let me share.

Naturist evenings? On Encore of all places?

Not sure I want to see that. But maybe if it's all confined to the Retreat which goes for $350 a visit there will be some takers, maybe more than now? Think of Roman Thermae and note there is already a jacuzzi up there to party in and around.

Or maybe not.

Is Seattle going to send a survey out and then deliver on the market feedback?

Happy and healthy sailing!

• 2 weeks later...

I came to this thread to get an idea (if anyone has experience) on what folks are choosing to wear on Seabourn's formal nights, generally speaking.

I prefer to make a bit of effort and don't mind hauling my husband's tux and a gown or two, but not if the vibe is more relaxed. What is most important to us is not standing out and being the only couple that is dressed formally. Its about fitting in to flavour of the cruise and not about lecturing one another on what we should or should not wear.

I own formal and semi formal wear and its easy to pack whatever works best. I am only looking for ones opinion on the what they have observed on formal nights. 50% tux's for example or less then 20%, mostly cocktail dress's, or only a handful of gowns etc etc.

We board the Encore next month.

Thanks very much!

From what I understand it varies depending on Med v a crossing v Caribbean. We took more formal gear to the Med where there was a range of outfits, from tux/gowns to suits to jackets/pants to smart dresses. To us everyone was well dressed and it did not matter if we/they wore tux/gowns it was nice to see.

But ... it is not necessary. We were less formally dressed in Canada New England because the cruise was part of a longer holiday in the USA and could not take gear we were only going to be wearing 1 or 2 nights.

IMO you will not be out of place if you want to take tux/gown but it is optional.

Percentage wise, About 25% in the Med (warmer more casual cruising) and probably more maybe 30-35% in Canada New England but the on this cruise we dined in the MDR more.

Thanks very much for sharing your experiences.

I actually don't mind either way as long as I know what to expect and therefore how to pack. We'll have to bring either a suit or a tux anyway for my husband so why not just bring the tux!

Not sure why so much resistance exists with cruisers these days :(

I get SO excited when I log in and see that there has been activity on one of the dress code threads! It makes my day.

For the poster looking for opinions on what to pack for formal night, I'd strongly suggest going to the stickied "Dress Code" thread (which is really where this one should be merged) to get a better sense of what is going on with Seabourn's dress code and passenger interpretations thereof.