All Things Vantage

FuelScience

Curious about the "Captain's Club" dinner.

We will be on our first Vantage trip in a couple months (Paris to Normandy), and I see on the website that I can book in advance a dinner in the Captain's Club. I would appreciate some insight as to what the difference would be between this and the main dining room, and the need to book this in advance.

The Captain's Club is a smallish lounge at the back of the ship. In the mornings this is where you find before breakfast coffee, juice and pastries. It has one of the two Cappuccino machines aboard, pretty sure that those machines have espresso at no charge. At dinner Captain's Club has a buffet (more informal than in the Compass Rose Main Dining Room, not that it is all that formal). Much of the food is the same, but often they are grilling meat on the aft balcony. I think they allow around 20 people to sign up, and usually there is still space when reservations close in the late afternoon (they want to know how much food to send to that location). WARNING: I did find on my 2015 cruise that if you are the least bit late some of the other diners had taken more than their share, and pickings were slim (that was never a problem in the waiter served MDR).

The main bar is in the Can Can Lounge and does a brisk business before and after dinner, but I THINK is open most of afternoon and petty much until the last person leaves in the evening. I'd think that bringing in a 6 pack of beer to the Lounge would be poor form, but one would be okay (NOTE: this is my guess, I never did this). I'd certainly think that in your stateroom or on the Sun Deck would be acceptable.I THINK that beer is included with dinner but that you have to ask for it - wine will be the initial offering (we cruise a number of river lines, and I may be confused on who does what).

Not sure when "a couple months" will be; NOTE that Monet's Garden in Giverny is not open in early March; we went instead to the Chateau that was Rommel's HQ.

We enjoyed the trip (which was 10 nights in 2015; longer than the current itinerary). Hope this helps.

Thom

Curious about the "Captain's Club" dinner.

We will be on our first Vantage trip in a couple months (Paris to Normandy), and I see on the website that I can book in advance a dinner in the Captain's Club. I would appreciate some insight as to what the difference would be between this and the main dining room, and the need to book this in advance.

It's pretty much as Traveler Thom stated.

We were on the River Voyager in September. We made out reservations for the Captains Club (named Cotton Club on some of the ships plans) on the Vantage web site prior to sailing. None of these were listed when we came on board. There is a clip board near the front desk to sign up for that evenings dining, right next to the evening menu so you can compare. Only one night did the sheet fill up with 25 or so people.

The advantages (to us) is that is nowhere near as noisy as the MDR and you can eat quickly if you want to walk around afterwards. The barbecue was delicious. The same 2 waiters were on duty every night, so they learn what your drink preferences are. The same passengers seem to eat there every night, so it was easy to talk between tables.

We ate 9 of 11 nights back there, it was one of our favorite spot's on the ship.

I have read that Vantage's office was not responsive. Yesterday I called to ask them to send my luggage tags and document case as they are no longer mailing documents. I also asked to speak to the air department, but after waiting a few minutes I decided to hang up and call the airline directly.

This AM I received a call from the air department to find out what I needed. Of course, my question had been answered by the airline. If that's not service I don't know what more could have done.🛩

I have read that Vantage's office was not responsive. Yesterday I called to ask them to send my luggage tags and document case as they are no longer mailing documents. I also asked to speak to the air department, but after waiting a few minutes I decided to hang up and call the airline directly.

This AM I received a call from the air department to find out what I needed. Of course, my question had been answered by the airline. If that's not service I don't know what more could have done.🛩

I second the comment about the service. After booking our next cruise with Vantage, which will not happen until 2018 - I received a courtesy call from the office a couple of weeks ago asking if there was anything they could do to help with our planning. I fully expected them to give me a pitch to upgrade, add travel insurance, etc. but they just wanted me to know that they were there if we needed anything. Well done Vantage!

Cole

• 3 weeks later...
First river cruise in April on the Danube Discovery.

Do you "dress" for dinner each night or is it pretty laid back?

It's " laid back".

Just have fun.... and some wine.

Just think; You will never see these fellow passengers again.:evilsmile:

Anyone else going on the April 5 Tulip cruise? We took the Marseilles to Lyon last year and, as someone put it, once on board it was great, but corporate was a disaster and this year seems very reminiscent. Still we're looking forward as senior/seniors we look forward to Tulips.

Anyone else going on the April 5 Tulip cruise? We took the Marseilles to Lyon last year and, as someone put it, once on board it was great, but corporate was a disaster and this year seems very reminiscent. Still we're looking forward as senior/seniors we look forward to Tulips.
Hoope you get lucky as that semes early for Tulips. We are on the 4/23 one. I covered our bases by going to the Philadelphia Flower Show last FRiday. It's largest indoor flower show in the WORLD, and this year's theme is (ta da!) Holland! 50,000 tulips

Hoope you get lucky as that semes early for Tulips. We are on the 4/23 one. I covered our bases by going to the Philadelphia Flower Show last FRiday. It's largest indoor flower show in the WORLD, and this year's theme is (ta da!) Holland! 50,000 tulips

Any coffee shops at the flower show?

Sorry to head off in another direction, but I have a question about a future cruise.

We're taking a Vantage trip in the fall. And I know that we get some future trip credits when the trip is done.

We're thinking about booking another cruise in the future, do they do onboard bookings for future cruises? And is there any sort of break in the price (other than the future trip credit) for booking during a trip? Or is the price what it is, regardless on how/where you book it?

In November 2015 we got an extra $100pp discount for booking during a trip (also told it applied for one week after). Like anything, subject to change.

Thom

Thank you, Thom.

Now, another question, the future cruise credits - does that have to be used as a deposit? Or can we book the future cruise onboard (hopefully with some sort of discount) and then apply the cruise credit we get from the current cruise later as a payment?

Thank you, Thom.

Now, another question, the future cruise credits - does that have to be used as a deposit? Or can we book the future cruise onboard (hopefully with some sort of discount) and then apply the cruise credit we get from the current cruise later as a payment?

Shmoo - things may have changed so maybe it ewould be best for you to call Vantage (Customer Service: (888) 982-6824) and ask. Also, you should clarify if the $100 is per person or per cabin. And be aware that Vantage deposits are NON-refundable and that in order to cover prior existing conditions, you would need to buy insurance within 14 days of deposit. (And IMHO I'd shop for other insurance before buying Vantage's). And know that you only have to buy enough insurance to cover the deposit until final payment due. UNLESS you buy Vantage's in which case you need to buy (and pay for) coverage on the total trip, Hope this helps.

Thank you, Thom.

To add to Steve comment. We each got a $100 on board booking credit. Both it and the 5% within one year credit were applied to the final payment. Vantage required new money for the trip deposit.

To add to Steve comment. We each got a $100 on board booking credit. Both it and the 5% within one year credit were applied to the final payment. Vantage required new money for the trip deposit.

Thank you.

I took Steve's advice and called. After waiting on hold for 20 minutes, I was told, that I can't use the travel rewards until 90 days after the trip. And, that it's only applicable to new bookings.

The problem we have is 90 days after our trip would put us within 5 months of the trip we want to book. We're concerned about availability/cost of the new cruise that close to departure date.

So, according to the person I talked to, we could book the next trip now, but we can't use the Travel Rewards as part of the payment after we've gotten them. Or we can book while on the trip we're taking in October, but, again, can't apply the Travel Rewards to that reservation as it's not a new booking.

Or, we can wait until January, and hope for the best price/availability-wise and use the Travel Rewards for the deposit.

... I was told, that I can't use the travel rewards until 90 days after the trip. And, that it's only applicable to new bookings.

The problem we have is 90 days after our trip would put us within 5 months of the trip we want to book. We're concerned about availability/cost of the new cruise that close to departure date.

So, according to the person I talked to, we could book the next trip now, but we can't use the Travel Rewards as part of the payment after we've gotten them. Or we can book while on the trip we're taking in October, but, again, can't apply the Travel Rewards to that reservation as it's not a new booking. Or, we can wait until January, and hope for the best price/availability-wise and use the Travel Rewards for the deposit.

My understanding is different than yours. Look at http://www.vantagetravel.com/whyvantage/waystosave/frequenttravelerrewards

• You'll earn 5% rewards earned each reservation, which will be available upon return from that trip and valid for 365 days
  • After 365 days, your rewards are worth 3% for the next year
  • After two years, the rewards will expire completely
  • Your rewards cannot be applied to the trip for which you earned the reward, and they cannot be used on a trip departing prior to the trip for which you will earn the reward
  • Your Frequent Traveler Rewards will become void if the trip you would earn the reward for is cancelled
  • Frequent Traveler Rewards can't be earned or used for the purchase of a discounted trip that is reserved within 90 days of departure
  • If Group Leaders earn a Group Leader Credit on a reservation, they cannot earn Frequent Traveler Rewards on that reservation

Note the red highlighting I have added. It is true that you can't use the credit against a Next Trip that you have booked on board, IF that trip leaves within 90 days. IME if you book onboard a Next Trip that is more than 90 days out, you can indeed use your Frequent Traveler Reward (FTR). Note that twice last year (2016) I applied FTR to trips that I already had previously booked but not yet taken. AFAIK that is entirely within the rules as listed above. I take an "all of the above" approach and use the onboard booking discount, the FTR AND the credit card rebate (for which I get 4.5%).

Thom