River Cruise to Italy

Lois R

Debbie,

... I'm thinking about taking the half day to Ferrara instead of the whole day in Bologna then taking the bikes out after lunch.

Brian

We've pretty much decided on Bologna at this point. But who knows... and I'm sure we'll talk to people who chose Ferrara. I'll try to remember!

We've pretty much decided on Bologna at this point. But who knows... and I'm sure we'll talk to people who chose Ferrara. I'll try to remember!

Its been a tough decision and I may change my mind at the last minute. I keep reading great reviews of Ferrara and it might be a nice low key day. Have a feeling can't go wrong with either. I think that is part of Uniworld's plan it to offer two excursions that you would like to go on in the hopes you will take the trip again. It might work. LOL

Met a couple on our India cruise who have done this itinerary, and they spoke very highly about the experience.

Hi Chris:),,,which itinerary? The one I started the thread about?

I've been reading this thread with interest. I want to do this Italy trip or a land one with Tauck.

I had narrowed down my trip between Tauck and Uniworld. For me it boiled down to three things.

1. Great experiences we've had with Uniworld

2. Less actual bus time with Uniworld then a land tour

3. Unpack once

The reviews for Tauck are really good as well. I also keep envisioning sitting on the cafe on the top deck of Uniworld's ship watching the sun go down and lights coming on over Venice and think this is really a unique way to experience Venice and the surrounding smaller towns.

Lois,

Just wondering, what time of year are you considering? I have to agree with Caviar Gal that Venice is also my least favorite Italian city. It is certainly something to see but on my Silversea cruise in 2015 even in October the streets were packed and overrun with tourists. I get it that it is very appealing to unpack once, not have to make many decisions and have all the details planned. My very first trip to Italy was simply 2 weeks in a house in Tuscany. Every trip to Italy since then, including cruising on The World and Silversea have been a letdown compared to that marvelous trip. We also unpacked once! If you are considering Silversea for another itinerary they are certainly one of the best lines and more than comparable to Uniworld. You can't go wrong.

Hi Chris, I tried posting this morning but it would not let me.:(....anyway, I see you have cruised Silverseas multiple times........you must love them?:D

Brian, I feel your pain. I too, lost sleep having to choose between Bologna, the culinary capital of Northern Italy and Ferrara, a Unesco preserved Renaissance city. We ultimately chose Ferrara and it was one of our favorite days. It was a joy walking around amidst students, bicyclists, mothers pushing baby strollers, everyday Italian life amidst the palaces, castle and walls. I mean, how bad can it be if Michelangelo Antonioni, the famous film director, grew up here? They also give you the option of taking an earlier shuttle back to the ship if you are tired or want to take the bikes out. Or you can stay til 5 since there is plenty to see there. The Bologna trip would be a whole day. Like you said, there are no bad choices! The Bologna people were also very happy with their day. I wrote a "grievance" letter to Uniworld for making us choose! I was also upset at having to choose between Padua and Chioggia the day before. Again, we chose Chioggia, which was more quaint and relaxing and allowed us to return to the ship earlier to relax. But I felt guilty at having missed the University, famous square, and the history of Padua. Let us know what you end up doing and good luck!

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the post. I have a tendency to run us ragged on these trips so I'm trying to train myself to slow down and enjoy the atomosphere, people and culture. I just felt Ferrara was a good opportunity to do this. Your post confirmed that for me. The itinerary has changed a little bit since your trip. There is still the choice between Chioggia and Padua but then there is another day to choose touring Chioggia market or a boat ride in the lagoon. So hopefully we will not have to make the hard choice you did. Except they did add a bicycle tour to Chioggia beaches vs the Padua walking tour. Your review of this trip was really helpful. I appreciate the time you take to share your experiences.

Brian

• 2 months later...

Well, it is now springtime and for what it is worth, I booked a cruise for August on SIlverseas......sailing from Barcelona

to Rome...........VERY EXCITED:D

But there is my 60th birthday which will be in 2018......I am now trying to find something for that big birthday.

I know I started this thread at the beginning of the year........that cruise on Uniworld is still appealing to me;p

Lois,

Just wondering, what time of year are you considering? I have to agree with Caviar Gal that Venice is also my least favorite Italian city. It is certainly something to see but on my Silversea cruise in 2015 even in October the streets were packed and overrun with tourists. I get it that it is very appealing to unpack once, not have to make many decisions and have all the details planned. My very first trip to Italy was simply 2 weeks in a house in Tuscany. Every trip to Italy since then, including cruising on The World and Silversea have been a letdown compared to that marvelous trip. We also unpacked once! If you are considering Silversea for another itinerary they are certainly one of the best lines and more than comparable to Uniworld. You can't go wrong.

I missed your question all the months ago......see my recent post today......I did book a cruise on Silversea for August.

Going from Barcelona to Rome:D....very excited.

As for the NEXT one.....the BIG 60 is in March.....I was looking to go somewhere in the month of March. That Uniworld

cruise still appeals to me BUT I have actually been looking at the other part of the world.....as in TAHITI.....:)

It looks really exotic........and I know Paul Gauguin and Windstar both go there.

My parents did Paul Gauguin and really enjoyed it. They thought it was beautiful, but said the locale, and its offerings, may be better suited for people who like to snorkel/scuba.

If you like the thought of Italy in March, consider Viking Ocean Italian Sojourn. My DH and I are booked for 2018.

Robin

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My parents did Paul Gauguin and really enjoyed it. They thought it was beautiful, but said the locale, and its offerings, may be better suited for people who like to snorkel/scuba.

If you like the thought of Italy in March, consider Viking Ocean Italian Sojourn. My DH and I are booked for 2018.

Robin

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Robin, when are you going?.......as for snorkeling, I am not really into it.........more food for thought.

I will look at Viking Ocean. Thanks for the suggestion:)

Hi Robin:).........the dates for this cruise don't work for me. (I cannot be away at the end of the month due to W O R K:eek:).

I will keep looking and am sure I will find the ONE;p

Lois,

Should you reconsider, I want to tell you that Uniworld is a great cruise. It is very luxurious and the food it top notch. I liked all the tours we went on for our Rhine cruise. I'm seriously considering this Italian cruise as I have not yet had the opportunity to spend time in Venice.

Lois,

Should you reconsider, I want to tell you that Uniworld is a great cruise. It is very luxurious and the food it top notch. I liked all the tours we went on for our Rhine cruise. I'm seriously considering this Italian cruise as I have not yet had the opportunity to spend time in Venice.

Hi:)...I have seen your posts and enjoy reading them:)........as for the Italian cruise....none of the dates work for me.

I didn't realize that until I looked again at the Uniworld Website.

Hi:)...I have seen your posts and enjoy reading them:)........as for the Italian cruise....none of the dates work for me.

I didn't realize that until I looked again at the Uniworld Website.

Thank you for the nice comment on my posts.

Too bad the Uniworld cruise won't work for you this time. You might consider this as an alternative: http://www.gobarging.com/cruises-in-italy

This is more like a B&B experience but on water with regional cuisine and wines and just way more personalized and very luxurious.

My daughter has selected Venice as the place she wants to visit for her 40th birthday in 2018 -- so we're considering the Uniworld cruise but combined with a land tour with Insight vacations. I've been to Italy before (and loved Venice) but she has not. I would be very interested in reviews/comments from those who take the "Italy" Uniworld cruise in 2017.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for the nice comment on my posts.

Too bad the Uniworld cruise won't work for you this time. You might consider this as an alternative: http://www.gobarging.com/cruises-in-italy

This is more like a B&B experience but on water with regional cuisine and wines and just way more personalized and very luxurious.

Thanks for the link........some of those look interesting but they are REALLY small.......some hold less than a dozen people.

I am quite independent and I travel solo but being with such a small group? Can you imagine if it happens to be the few

folks who are "complainers"........?:eek:.....I think a regular river cruise is more of what I am looking for.:)

Papa B Me,

Was very happy to read your post. We also heavily researched the River Countess cruise and came to the same conclusions as you. The more we researched, read reviews and viewed youtube on the River Countess the more excited we became about doing this trip. We are looking forward to taking this cruise in October. Looking forward to reading your review of the cruise prior to ours.

Papa B Me,

Was very happy to read your post. We also heavily researched the River Countess cruise and came to the same conclusions as you. The more we researched, read reviews and viewed youtube on the River Countess the more excited we became about doing this trip. We are looking forward to taking this cruise in October. Looking forward to reading your review of the cruise prior to ours.

Thank you for your kind words. I have always found CC to be so helpful I always like to contribute if its something I have some knowledge of. Can't wait to give first hand accounts on this cruise. Other then SOS there have been so few day to day or reviews given here on CC I think many decide against this trip without fully understanding what it encompasses. Between Beeskate, myself, and your experience this year maybe we can bring a more complete picture of this unique cruise.