Vietnam-Cambodia River Options??

TLCOhio

We want to do the Mekong river cruise and land tour. Trying to decide between Uniworld, Viking or AMA. Anyone have anything really negative to say about any of the brands.

Having taken a "cruise" in 1969 in this area can't imagine spending money to go back

poppy,

Many of our friends feel the same as you do....some have found it soothing for a terrible experience

my husband wants to go........he was an officer in the USN and his ship supported the troops with supplies but was never in daily combat.

not sure how he will react once we are there

We took this trip a few years ago with Avalon. It was wonderful!!! DH is a retired Naval Aviator. On his first flight off Vietnam, they lost 2 men who spent over 5 years in the Hanoi Hilton. We can understand the feelings of those who never want to see that part of the world again.

I have always wanted to see many countries in Asia. DH said find me a cruise that doesn't take me back to Hanoi and I'll go. Finally found the Avalon trip. Hanoi was a pretrip that did not have to be part of the trip. Yes we missed the beautiful Halong Bay. We did see a fascinating country and would highly recommend Avalon's trip. Post cruise, we spent a week in Bangkok and joined a Grand Circle trip on the Irrawaddy. At that time the only boats were either Grand Circle and Viking. GC had only 19 pax compared to the 50-60 on Viking. That was another wonderful trip. Happy to answer any questions. Pat

Having taken a "cruise" in 1969 in this area can't imagine spending money to go back

It is always going to be a very personal choice, but we had one vet on our trip and our guides reporting having many others in recent years.

No right or wrong answers, I can only report that it seemed to be a very positive experience for everyone there.

poppy,

Many of our friends feel the same as you do....some have found it soothing for a terrible experience

my husband wants to go........he was an officer in the USN and his ship supported the troops with supplies but was never in daily combat.

not sure how he will react once we are there

After being permanently injured, years of therapy to deal with PTSD, drug use, recurring nightmares of bloody bodies I can't fathom how this would be soothing. I get hebbies just thinking about the river, being the driver on a "brown water" gun boat, the paralyzing fear when being shot at. No thanks, I'll keep my memories as far back in my mind as I can thank you very much.

To go ashore off a cruise ship; see this stuff then come back aboard for a relaxing glass of wine and tintalating conversation is just too surreal for me to comprehend.

I respect your decision totally. we are fortunate to be able to travel freely but there are some countries that I would not want to experience for a variety of reasons. I feel for those that are not so lucky, are not able to leave and live in circumstances we would never find acceptable.

it is a privilege to have choices.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

My husband and I are signed up for Nov. 2016 for the Vietnam/ Cambodia trip with AMA Waterways. Last November we did our first river cruise down the Danube with them. It was outstanding - therefore, we have chosen them for this trip. We leave on November 12th for 21 days. I'd be happy to share our experience when we return. We have previously done Crystal ocean cruises and have been very pleased with them. I think AMA is amazing in all areas, guide, food, staff and friendliness.

• 2 weeks later...

we fly Hanoi to Hong Kong

Hong Kong to LA

LA to Chicago to Detroit

air was free with Vantage and even with custom air we were not able to go from Hong Kong to Chicago although we do that on the outbound flight

we fly American with code share Cathay Pacific and Dragon Air

we leave the 31st and I think the flights will be the only downside of the trip....can't justify the $$$ of business and dont have American miles as we usually fly delta as Detroit is the hub

we fly Hanoi to Hong Kong

Hong Kong to LA

LA to Chicago to Detroit...

OUCH - that's a lot of stops.

We arrived in BKK Friday going IAD-NRT-BKK.

Return SAI-NRT-IAD.

All on ANA metal (code share on UA ticket, but 3 inches more leg room on ANA trans-Pacific than UA). Vasntage proposed leaving SAI to HKG at 6am; we asked for and got ANA to NRT at 11pm, so essentially an extra day in HCMC.

Thom

I'm hoping to fly Toronto-Taipei-Hanoi on Eva Air (on Star alliance points) and return Saigon-Tokyo-Toronto on ANA and Air Canada or Saigon-Taipei-Toronto on Eva Air when I do my Ama cruise at the end of October 2107.

It is always a bit tougher when the national airline of the country you are flying to is not part of your frequent flyer plan.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Forums mobile app

Still can't figure out why we could not fly directly from Hong Kong to Chicago and then home

on the return......but I got tired of trying to reason with the Vantage Flight people.......

I agree with the posts that seeing Vietnam and Cambodia by ocean would not be the most advantageous way to see these countries. My brother returned from an ocean cruise that stopped in Vietnam and when I asked if he had seen certain sites, he said that he did not as the time spent there was short and the ship could not get to the places we visited. We cruised AMA and loved it.We still consider it to be our best trip--great hotels, overnight on a junk in Halong Bay included when the other cruise lines were charging extra. It was a fantastic experience, even in the heat of August and we only experienced one day of rain that lasted for 20 minutes. Highly recommend it.

Still can't figure out why we could not fly directly from Hong Kong to Chicago and then home

on the return......but I got tired of trying to reason with the Vantage Flight people.......

The inventory available to cruiselines is often far different than that available to the general public and mainstream travel agents. Depending on the specifics of Vantage and their program, they just may not have any inventory available on a non-stop from HKG to ORD. They are only offered by UA and CX, and Vantage may not have any purchased inventory. Another possibility is that they had some inventory, but it has been sold out.

Without specifics, hard to say anything more than this generalization.

I agree with the posts that seeing Vietnam and Cambodia by ocean would not be the most advantageous way to see these countries. My brother returned from an ocean cruise that stopped in Vietnam and when I asked if he had seen certain sites, he said that he did not as the time spent there was short and the ship could not get to the places we visited. We cruised AMA and loved it.We still consider it to be our best trip--great hotels, overnight on a junk in Halong Bay included when the other cruise lines were charging extra. It was a fantastic experience, even in the heat of August and we only experienced one day of rain that lasted for 20 minutes. Highly recommend it.

Thought I would add in my two cents. Even though it was several years back, I can highly recommend my experience with AMA. Sofitel hotels in Hanoi, Siem Reap and Saigon. Excellent onboard experience on the river as well. The package starting in Hanoi, over to Halong, flight to Siem Reap and cruise to Saigon was a great introduction to interior VN/Cambodia.

So much so, we went back to SR on our own for New Years, and have been several times back to Hanoi and Saigon (plus Hoi An and Hue). Fantastic food and excellent values. If anyone does start/end in Hanoi, Saigon or Siem Reap, be sure to add on extra days for your own independent touring and visiting. Or fly to DaNang to visit Hoi An, or maybe even to Luang Prabang in Laos. Low cost air travel has hit Indochina, so take advantage of seeing multiple cities while on land.

• 3 months later...

Appreciate so much these various excellent comments and details on this thread since my earlier posts. Less than a year away for our "adventure" that departs to sail the Mekong on Feb. 1, 2018. We will fly to Hong Kong on Jan. 23, spend time there before going to Hanoi, then to Ho Chi Minh City, etc. Will do northern Laos and Bangkok after this river cruise.

Love to read more on any and all pre and post cruise options done prior to the Mekong sailing segment. Other tips and insights for these major SE Asia cities? What shore visits/stops stood out the most? What was the best loved? What to avoid and/or skip? Tell us more!! Can't get enough information and background for this part of the world!! Keep it coming.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 169,571 views for this posting.

Thought I would add in my two cents. Even though it was several years back, I can highly recommend my experience with AMA. Sofitel hotels in Hanoi, Siem Reap and Saigon. Excellent onboard experience on the river as well. The package starting in Hanoi, over to Halong, flight to Siem Reap and cruise to Saigon was a great introduction to interior VN/Cambodia.

So much so, we went back to SR on our own for New Years, and have been several times back to Hanoi and Saigon (plus Hoi An and Hue). Fantastic food and excellent values. If anyone does start/end in Hanoi, Saigon or Siem Reap, be sure to add on extra days for your own independent touring and visiting. Or fly to DaNang to visit Hoi An, or maybe even to Luang Prabang in Laos. Low cost air travel has hit Indochina, so take advantage of seeing multiple cities while on land.

Would you like to see a picture of a six inch scar that almost cost me my leg. VC bayonet, in the jungle without morphine for three days before we could get medevaced out. If its okay with you I'll stick to the Caribbean.

Would you like to see a picture of a six inch scar that almost cost me my leg. VC bayonet, in the jungle without morphine for three days before we could get medevaced out. If its okay with you I'll stick to the Caribbean.

While I certainly understand your attitude toward travel to Vietnam I am at a loss in understanding why you would be following this thread when it upsets you.

The two most surprising things I took away from my Nov 2016 visit to Vietnam (my first visit there):

1. How much capitalism is flourishing. Tremendous amounts of construction, especially in Saigon. McDonald's, Starbucks etc seemingly on every corner. Vietnam Airways flying new Boeing 787s and Airbuses.

2. How open and friendly the population (of all ages, including war veterans) is toward Americans. The US lost ten of thousands killed, the Vietnamese lost millions. I was told that Vietnamese / Buddhist philosophy teaches that carrying a grudge hurts only you, and accepting and getting beyond what happened in the past is important to your mental health.

Thom

• 2 weeks later...

I am so sorry for what you went through. My husband is a Vietnam veteran also and lives with a physical reminder daily.

For you to have such physical and emotional pain it would seem that this is a thread you would be better off ignoring.

The two most surprising things I took away from my Nov 2016 visit to Vietnam (my first visit there):

1. How much capitalism is flourishing. Tremendous amounts of construction, especially in Saigon. McDonald's, Starbucks etc seemingly on every corner. Vietnam Airways flying new Boeing 787s and Airbuses.

2. How open and friendly the population (of all ages, including war veterans) is toward Americans. The US lost ten of thousands killed, the Vietnamese lost millions. I was told that Vietnamese / Buddhist philosophy teaches that carrying a grudge hurts only you, and accepting and getting beyond what happened in the past is important to your mental health. Thom

Appreciate these additional posts, the varied opinions, viewpoints, etc. Lots of consider as background in preparing to visit this part of the world. Great details from Thom. Please continue this helpful sharing.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my latest live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 30,039 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Agreeing with TLCOhio's comment. Capitalism was quite apparent in both Vietnam and Cambodia. The status symbol in Cambodia is a Lexus and putting a huge "L" on the car door was a pretty common site. Also, as far as people in both countries and their acting as though there is no animosity towards Americans--we were told by many Vietnamese that they are a country that is so used to dealing with war that they are just happy to get on with life without war.

• 3 months later...
Agreeing with TLCOhio's comment. Capitalism was quite apparent in both Vietnam and Cambodia. The status symbol in Cambodia is a Lexus and putting a huge "L" on the car door was a pretty common site. Also, as far as people in both countries and their acting as though there is no animosity towards Americans--we were told by many Vietnamese that they are a country that is so used to dealing with war that they are just happy to get on with life without war.

Appreciate these informative comments and this great follow-up. Yes, it's fun exploring and seeing these cultures, lifestyles, history, etc. Below is a connection for a live/blog from our March experiences in doing our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great San Francisco. Very special and interesting in seeing the Panama Canal and learning about its creation/construction.

Getting ready in six days to be departing for Lisbon and our first visit to Portugal. Then, we will be seeing NW Spain, Bordeaux and Brittany also for the first times in these charming regions. Will do a live/blog for these "adventures". Join in and feel free to ask any questions as we sail. When we get back from Europe, then we will focus more closely on the added research and planning for SE Asia in early 2018.

Panama Canal? Just completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun pictures!! Those pictures start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580