New Perspective on Cruising the Sun??

nadirsup

I am new to posting on CC but have been lurking since August of this year when our daughter left her job as a photographer at the zoo in Naples, Florida, and flew to Alaska to hop aboard the Sun in early August for a six month "tour" as a ship photographer. Since then I have read many reviews on CC from Sun cruisers, searching out tid bits of info as we tracked her and the Sun from port to port as she embarked on this amazing adventure! We are a tight nit family and this would be our first year apart during the holidays, however on October 18, after crossing the Panama Canal the Sun docked in Miami and we were able to visit with her on the ship for several hours--It made moms day!

Since departing Miami and transiting the Canal again the Sun ultimately begins her journey south, crossing the equator (She loved taking pictures during the "Equator Crossing Ceremony".), cruising the Fjords and crossing the straights before rounding the Horn (her second time around the Horn she took the entire bucket of water over her head from the crew member performing that ceremony!). After visiting the many different ports in Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil multiple times, she has commented (On the rare occasions when WiFi is good.) of how beautiful the country is--the pictures she sends us are a testament to this as we "cruise" vicariously through her lens, (Along with Cruise Critic member reviews--skierjj and seawhaksSiren most recently. TY TY ).

She leaves Buenos Aries Feb. 22 to come back to us, and then our family of four will embark on the Jade's final cruise in early March before she dry docks, where she wants to see the "other side" of cruising! So say hello to Casey if you're on her current or upcoming itinerary! And be certain to tell her that her parents say hello!

Thanks for listening and happy cruising all.....

I only wish I could say Hi to her for you!

What a lovely post and I can imagine how happy the reunion in Miami must have been. The Sun was my first cruise and and I have sailed on her many times since. She is so special and I only hope that your daughter feels the same way. What an adventure she has been on.

Sending hugs your way!

• 3 weeks later...

Ty momof4 and bluej for those nice comments! I just HAD to update here with this: Casey was "shooting rail" In BA recently when the couple she was taking a picture of "recognized" her from my post here. When they told her "your dad posts about you on CC", she told me it at first embarrassed her (And what a happy dad I was to be able to do THAT from so far away!), but also made her smile. So thank you to the unknown CC couple that passed that along! You made my day!

Happy travels to all and especially to Casey as she will be leaving BA to fly home to us soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Casey is home! She's sleeping now but we can't wait to take her to dinner tonight and catch up on her adventure. And a heart felt thanks to those who took the time to fill out the "Tell us about your vacation hero"-- aka employee evaluation forms --on Casey. My wife and I were amazed at the comments--but not too surprised, heh--and it was great to "see" the business side of what she was doing on the Sun (Since we only heard about the fun side of her travels through the occasional contact by phone.). We leave on the "final" Jade cruise the 1st of March, which I am certain will make her the opposite of home sick, what I call "Ship Sick", confidant that she will be ready for her next "tour of duty". And now with my experience in this wonderful place of the "Cruise Critic", I will certainly be posting more often of her adventures in the future, hoping more of you get to meet her--and embarrass her by telling her dad says hello! Again, thanks for listening and see y'all on the high seas!

J.V.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so just to finalize before heading over to the "Jade" wall, Casey and our family had an amazing time on this cruise to Costa Maya --she is now "Ship Sick" and can not wait to get back on the Sun mid April when she begins her next six month tour of duty....But it was great watching her meet up with other crew she knew; watching her strut with the other photographers--making sure mom dad and son posed for PLENTY of pictures! All in all great trip I'll post more on Jade's wall....

Yes Yes and Yes--ty in advance for the shout outs to Casey--she loves taking guest pictures and is actually really good at posing for great photos. You cant miss her--her lens will always be pointing your way!

• 5 weeks later...

Quick update and for anyone sailing on the Sun in the next six months--Casey is back on board after a very quick six week visit home, but she is so excited to be sailing again...Melly--nw gardner--cutterlmt--you can not miss Casey when you cruise the Sun--she will have her lens pointed in your direction plenty of times--and thank you so much for shouting out at her! Like all of the Sun employees she loves her job and will do her best to take you some memorable photos!

Lol cuter! YES! She will get at least ONE photo of you that you will like! davesgirl you are boarding at a great time! I am going to start a new thread for her new cruise with a link to her NEW blog that is amazing to read--not just a proud dad saying that--her writing prose has a unique, urban? Gritty? sincere? innocent? quality.....And then for SURE you'll recognize her when you are on the Sun--and most important....ENJOY YOUR CRUISE ALL!!!!

http://www.happiworldtraveler.co/blog/