Tell me of inside cabin for 4 people

Kassandra

Please, no posts of 'Don't do it, you will hate it' or 'Spring for a verandah'.

Those options are not available!

I will be cruising with family, some not so well off, and using the 3rd/4th for free option.

What are the cabins like? Anybody do this and give some useful suggestions on how to pack more lightly/deal with space considerations, helpful hints etc?

MUCH APPRECIATED!

I will be cruising with family, some not so well off, and using the 3rd/4th for free option.

What are the cabins like? Anybody do this and give some useful suggestions on how to pack more lightly/deal with space considerations, helpful hints etc?

MUCH APPRECIATED!

While Holland cabins are a bit larger han most of the other mass market lines, it still will be a bit of a tight fit for 4, especially if all are adults.

One thing that I would suggest - have 2 people each day (rotate days) shower in the spa area, to avoid bathroom overcrowding. Its free and open to all. We had to do this once with my Mom who was hurt and could not get into the tub/shower in the cabin. Worked out well.

DaveOKC

MUCH APPRECIATED!

Definitely the "use the Spa showers" is the greatest idea. Pack as light as you can to conserve space in the cabin. Most inside cabins for 4 on HAL are quite roomy so as long as everyone shares nicely it should work out great.

Good luck!

We sailed with 4 people in a main deck J cabin on the Nieuw Amsterdam last summer for 24 nights. We all survived quite well. No one had to go elsewhere to use the bathroom. There were 3 adult size people, including a teenage girl, a teenage boy and a 7 year old.

We were able to put away all our clothes (4 big suitcases) in the closets and drawers. There was a big drawer at the end of each bed in addition to the obvious ones. Suitcases went under the beds. I use rolling duffles so they fit easily.

We utilized the unlimited laundry service and sent a bag out pretty much every day so there were no dirty clothes to deal with.

Our cabin steward did not like the idea of collapsing the sofa bed during the day. so we did it ourselves. There was much more space that way. The other beds were separated which made it easier for the person in the Pullman.

MUCH APPRECIATED!

It might help others make comments if you listed the ship (or the ship class) you are considering. Maybe you will get more responses that way.

invest in a clear hanging shoe bag for bathroom, each person can store toiletries there, hanging it out of the way.

And as boulders said... pack as little as you can and then use the laundry.

Give yourself an escape on deck... I think we can likely all agree no matter what cabin you are in, unless you are solo, there will be times you just need some space from each other.

Enjoy your cruise...

We had our family of 4 (kids were 16 and 10) in an inside cabin for 2 weeks on the Westerdam. The layout of the cabin was great with a very open floor plan (no narrow corridor by the door as the outside staterooms have). All our suitcases fit under the bed with the smaller suitcases being put inside the larger ones. Our 10 year old was on the top bunk and our 16 year old on the pull out sofa bed. I have to say that the sofa bed was extremely uncomfortable and dealing with a sleep deprived 16 was not fun! We started alternating nights on who had to sleep on it. I've since learned that you can request a foam egg crate mattress topper and perhaps that would have made it more comfortable. At any rate, request the mattress topper the minute you board just incase there are limited numbers. You can always have the room steward take it away if you don't need it.

P.S. I know there are several different types of sofa beds depending on the boat. The one we had was a "bed" type with wire frame and mattress. I've heard the sofa beds that are solid foam are much more comfortable.

I've been in an inside, not with 4, but I would say it's doable. I recommend taking flashlights, and battery clock with a dial that lights up (no clock in the room) and perhaps a small "Febreeze" to freshen up the bathroom on occasion! I also had a small clip-on reading light for times I couldn't sleep (doubles as a flashlight).

Our cabin steward did not like the idea of collapsing the sofa bed during the day. so we did it ourselves. There was much more space that way. The other beds were separated which made it easier for the person in the Pullman.

Why didn't the cabin steward want to do this for you? :confused:

MUCH APPRECIATED!

We have done many inside cruises with three people, never four. Pack as light as you can, store stuff under the bed and you might want to rotate people out of the room during shower time. It worked well for us as my DW and I would clean up and go to happy hour while our DD got ready :p. I think it will depend a lot on the people and how tolerant they are of each other. Plus is someone sleeping on a Pullman? Those things should be outlawed.

Not all inside cabins are created equal. A general rule is that cabins on the S- & R-class ships are larger than the comparable category cabin on the Vista & Signature class ships. But that's not 100% accurate.

On the Vista/Signature ships, there are two different sizes of inside cabins within a couple of the categories with the same designation. That difference is major.

The amount of drawer and closet space also varies in all of these classes of ships. S-class ships have more drawer space, and less closet space, than the R-class ships, even though the cabins are otherwise identical. Vista and Signature classes have the same amount of drawer and closet space as each other. They tend to have less drawer space than either the S- or R-class ships, though.

There is generous storage space in the bathroom, as there is a long vanity with a long shelf under it. The shelving that replaced the medicine cabinet is practically worthless for holding much of anything.

Also, keep in mind that on all the ships, there are two different classifications of inside cabins: "standard" insides, and "large" insides. You absolutely, positively, don't want a "standard" inside for four people. (I wouldn't want it for one. :rolleyes:)

When you have the class of ship narrowed down, and maybe some cabins under consideration, come back and post. We can be more helpful then with more specific information.

We usually did ours ourselves as well as you want it up as soon as you get up. It is not hard to do.

I agree, it's not hard to do. We did it on our last cruise because we didn't want to wait either. My question was more about the cabin steward's willingness. The term, "did not like the idea," was really what my question was about.

Why didn't the cabin steward want to do this for you? :confused:

No idea. :confused: Now that I remember, he actually didn't want to set up the sofa bed for ds7. He thought that ds7 should sleep on the cushions. :( Yeah, right. I showed him though, I broke the sofa the first time I pulled the bed out. Turns out that I had to lift the bed frame almost over my head to pull it out. Since I pulled it more like waist height (I'm 5'2'), the bottom part of the sofa came partially off while I was trying to pull out the frame. After that, I had one of my tall teenagers do it. :cool: The sofa wasn't fixed for the whole 3 1/2 weeks.

MUCH APPRECIATED!

Cabins in pictures - including cabins for four.

We did 7 nights on Westerdam with our 2 sons, 20 and 23. We were in a balcony cabin. It was the deal that 3rd and 4th passengers sail for free - awesome deal!! One son had the pullman bed that dropped down from the ceiling and the other had the sofa bed. It was tight but we managed and had a great cruise. We got extra hangers from the steward and every bit of storage was utilized. We managed with just the one bathroom - we just took turns and tried to be fair. I don't think 4 in a cabin is ideal, but can be okay as long as you all respect each other's needs. Have a great cruise.

There is generous storage space in the bathroom, as there is a long vanity with a long shelf under it. The shelving that replaced the medicine cabinet is practically worthless for holding much of anything.

I found some flat, fold-up boxes at my local $1 store. I brought 2, one for each of us to hold our things in the bathroom so they didn't roll around. They were great.

When you have the class of ship narrowed down, and maybe some cabins under consideration, come back and post. We can be more helpful then with more specific information.

Hi RuthC! (Kristi and Bob, we met on a cruise a few years back!)

Looking like we are eyeing Eurodam or Niew Amsterdam and YES on Large Inside!

Thanks for your insights!!

MUCH APPRECIATED!

I would say a J on the Vista/Signature class ships would be fine. On the other hand, a J on an S class...a tight squeeze. We had an L interior on the Ryndam this winter...it was a cabin for 4. A bed in the ceiling and the sofa. It was fine for DH and I but not for 4. We were thinking of doing it this summer on the Veendam 7 day Boston/Boston with two of our grandchildren (both are 13) and nixed it after being in that cabin on the Ryndam.

So, choose very carefully.

There are inside cabins and there are inside cabins. They vary quite a bit as to square footage and layout, including drawers, shelves, and storage space.

I was in an inside cabin on the Noordam by myself and was about to lose my mind; actually had a bout of claustrophobia that I'd never had before on a ship. I don't know how 2 people could have dealt with that cabin let alone four. Choose carefully.

Roz

Hi RuthC! (Kristi and Bob, we met on a cruise a few years back!)

Forgive me, I wish I could remember which cruise. Or even which ship! :o The mind just doesn't remember like it used to.

Looking like we are eyeing Eurodam or Niew Amsterdam and YES on Large Inside!

The "large" insides on these two ships are virtually identical. They come in a couple of different sizes, even though the category designation is the same in two cases. Be very careful here.

I suggest you take a look at the insides on Main Deck. As of now, they are designated J- or K-category; the J-cabins are forward of mid-ship, and the K-cabins are aft of the aft elevator bank. (I don't know if the categories are changing with the realignment of category designations next year.)

These cabins are identical, and are huge.

Take a good look at what is above you, as the J-cabins are below entertainment venues. I haven't had a problem with noise, but I do stay up late, and do sleep soundly.

The K-cabins are too remote for my walking ability, but are otherwise a very good choice. They are quiet, as there is only the dining room (carpeted) above.

There are also some I-category cabins on an upper deck with are slightly (like a couple of inches) larger than those on Main Deck. They are a little more square.

Personally, I would not recommend any other inside cabins for four people on these ships.

Happy hunting!

"Huge" is a relative term and when used in conjunction with cruise ship cabins means "the size of a very small hotel room".

With our kids, we managed in tiny inside cabins on Royal Caribbean ships. Four adults can manage in any sized cabin, assuming they are only there to sleep, bath, and dress. My advice would be to not eat in the room. You do not have the space.

Archived