Egypt Tours - Nile Cruise

FlorBenitez

Hey Guys!

I checked the threads and didn't find one dedicated to Egypt, so I thought I should definitely start a new one for Egypt Tours with Nile Cruises.

Recently I went on a luxurious Egypt Tour with Lady Egypt Tours. The Nile Cruise, Oberoi Zahra, went from Luxor to Aswan and it was absolutely amazing.

If you have experience in Egypt Tours with Nile Cruise that you'd like to share that would be awesome! :D

How much local currency did anyone who did a 7 night Nike cruise (I'm on the MS Mayfair in October 17) find they spent ? Did you tip your guide/cabin steward in local currency or US dollars/GB pounds/euros ?
Most Egptians catering to tourists will gladly accept any of the major currencies you mentioned. Most Prices are negotiated by bargaining, so the currency conversion is built into the bargaining. Prices on items used mostly by locals (buses, local restaurants, bakeries, some attractions, etc) are more likely to be non-negotiable and paid only in Egyptian Pounds. I do things like ride local buses, but most tourists don't.

Tipping is everywhere in Egypt (eg the guy who shines the light in the tomb expects one - he will be very happy with US$1, but satisfied with considerably less in local bills). It is entirely possible to do a river cruise without ever using Egyptian Pounds, but I like the flexibility of having local currency. I use an ATM to get an amount that can be used for tips (including on the boat) if not spent elsewhere and supplement that as needed with major currencies.

Thom

PS note that for a period of time (15 minutes??) you can edit what you have written by clicking on the edit box at the bottom of your msg.

I did a Nile cruise from Luxor to Aswan back in 2009. The boat was a boutique boat, the Nile Adventurer. Only 32 staterooms, and we were the first cruise out of it's renovation. It was gorgeous. Top deck had a small pool and several daybeds/cabanas to lounge in when we weren't out and about on shore. the food was amazing for every meal - the exec chef at that time had been named best chef on the Nile. At the time, Abercrombie & Kent private tour department used this boat. We got to dock solo at the A&K docks along the way except for one night where we tied up outside of one of the Sun Boats.

I was on this trip with 13 other women - we had our private Egyptologist (a woman) who guided us though the trip with special emphasis on the role of women in ancient Egyptian society. We also had some pretty frank and honest talks about women in Egypt at that present time, also.

I would absolutely recommend a Nile cruise to anyone! The combination of lazy time watching the shore activity (or lack thereof) along the Nile and being able to walk through some of the amazing antiquities on Earth is definitely a once in a lifetime trip! And, if it is offered, take the side trip to Abu Simbel!! I remember the furor surrounding the building of the Aswan Dam when I was a kid - I even remembered donating to the United Nations fund at school to preserve the temples. It was so mind-blowing to actually be there and know how it was painstakingly taken apart and put back together!

Edited by slidergirl

Will be on the Uniworld Cairo and Nile cruise in Feb 2017. Just sent off our passports to get the Visas. Looking forward to this trip!

I believe that Uniworld suggests tips in Egyptian Pounds, but will try to get as many as possible on the account so to handle by credit card.

Will be on the Uniworld Cairo and Nile cruise in Feb 2017. Just sent off our passports to get the Visas. Looking forward to this trip!

I believe that Uniworld suggests tips in Egyptian Pounds, but will try to get as many as possible on the account so to handle by credit card.

pinotlover, we got our visas on arrival at the airport in Cairo. It was a snap and took about 2 minutes. Has that changed since we visited (2011), or did you just not want to deal with the hassle of visa on arrival?

Edited by jpalbny

We also sent our passports off to get the visa ahead of time, paying an amount I'm embarrassed to mention. I couldn't convince DH that, from what I've read, it's easy, quick and much less expensive to get the visa upon landing. You can tell he's the more cautious of the two of us! Anyway, getting so excited about the trip.

We also sent our passports off to get the visa ahead of time, paying an amount I'm embarrassed to mention. I couldn't convince DH that, from what I've read, it's easy, quick and much less expensive to get the visa upon landing. You can tell he's the more cautious of the two of us! Anyway, getting so excited about the trip.

The hardest part was getting in line. Queueing is a foreign concept in many parts of the world, so you have to be ready to throw an elbow when someone slips in around you. Basically, it's a free-for-all, and you hold your money out, wave it at the person selling the visas, and hope the agent takes yours and not the other guy's. But there will be someone on either side of you, and likely behind you, trying to cut in before you, and doing the same thing.

I misremembered; we went in 2012, not 2011. We were with A&K, and they specifically said that you could get the visa on arrival. IIRC, it was $25 per person, so being an inveterate cheapskate, of course that's what we did.

The hardest part was getting in line. Queueing is a foreign concept in many parts of the world, so you have to be ready to throw an elbow when someone slips in around you. Basically, it's a free-for-all, and you hold your money out, wave it at the person selling the visas, and hope the agent takes yours and not the other guy's. But there will be someone on either side of you, and likely behind you, trying to cut in before you, and doing the same thing.

I misremembered; we went in 2012, not 2011. We were with A&K, and they specifically said that you could get the visa on arrival. IIRC, it was $25 per person, so being an inveterate cheapskate, of course that's what we did.

This reminds me of our experiences at the Moscow and St. Petersburg airports. Chaotic, no one helping clueless travelers find where they needed to queue. After reading this, I'm sure DH will be glad we paid extra!

This reminds me of our experiences at the Moscow and St. Petersburg airports. Chaotic, no one helping clueless travelers find where they needed to queue. After reading this, I'm sure DH will be glad we paid extra!

Similar to Cambodia as well, a bit more organized but still a long line.

Viking asked guests to get a visa in their passports rather than use the visa on arrival service, all except one our our tour had done that.

He had to join the queue while the rest of use were just waived through a side door around the whole immigration line and straight to baggage collection :)

I seem to recall we left that one passenger at the airport with one of the guides as he was still in the queue...

I know there are many places where you can elect for a visa on arrival, but in most cases I still prefer to get them in advance, if nothing else it takes a queue (... if you are lucky :) ) and a little stress out of the process...

Edited by Mark_T

I have additionally read on several websites of people being delayed ,because of various glitches, for 6-8 hours waiting for that Visa. Basically kept in a retention area waiting while the Egyptians held their passports. Some had been flying (traveling) for near 24 hours and then held! :eek:

So as the movie asks " how lucky do you feel?" :rolleyes:

Personally, having that visa taken care well in advance of travel is a very inexpensive and easy detail to accomplish. Unless one is a constant traveler, that can't be without their passports for even a 2 week period, I can think of no logical reason why not to get the Visa ahead of time. Otherwise, take your chances and don't complain about the problems, your decision.

We were in Cairo just over a year ago to begin a tour with Uniworld including the River Tosca from Luxor to Aswan. We were met at the airport and our "host" knew all about what to do. The whole process took about 15 minutes.

We adored our experience with Uniworld, by the way. Here is my review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2274435&highlight=davidthewonderer

David;

Your post makes absolutely no sense. We likewise are, and have, traveled with Uniworld and are accustomed to their excellent service. However, I have never entered an airport, anywhere in the world, where any outside representative can meet an incoming passenger prior to Passport Control and Customs. It appears that you are stating that this is allowed in Cairo? If not, how would the Uniworld rep be able to assist one with a Visa matter, other than perhaps give a few tips over the phone?

It is completely illogical to me to, in an effort to save $40, that one would chance getting held up at Passport Control, especially in a country in which they don't speak the local lanquage!

pinotlover, I promise you in all seriousness that we have experienced exactly what David describes, in Cairo, and also in Amman. The guide simply has to leave his passport and identity card with the customs officials as he passes through to the arrival gates, and he picks them up when he passes back through.

Our guide from A&K in Cairo met us beyond passport control, got in the visa line with us, bought our visas, and ushered us through passport control.

Our guide in Amman was at the arrival gate, took us to the money changer, then the visa line to make sure we did everything right. Once we got through passport control, he asked us to wait for a minute while he retrieved his documents, then we were on our way.

In many countries I think that the "visa" process is simply a tax, so there is essentially no chance of getting held up and not getting one...they want the $$. In other countries, I realize that this is not true, and for those countries, applying in advance is advised (and sometimes mandatory).

Bottom line: one set of rules does not apply for all countries. And you have the choice to do visas ahead of time, if you are worried. But we often do not when there is an option to purchase on arrival. That doesn't mean that it's right for everyone, but you may as well know about the option.

Edited by jpalbny

I've heard that Oberoi is a fine product, very luxurious. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time.

We did Uniworld Nile last fall, and it was wonderful, and very memorable. But tips could just not be done by credit card. Egyptian currency is better, because they have smaller denominations. But then it's very difficult to obtain those small bills. This was a problem even for bathrooms on tours--sometimes several people would band together and use one larger bill.

pinotlover, we got our visas on arrival at the airport in Cairo. It was a snap and took about 2 minutes. Has that changed since we visited (2011), or did you just not want to deal with the hassle of visa on arrival?

We did that too, and yes, it was a snap. Since we were met, our tour guide walked us through it.

Wendy;

Thanks for the info on the tips. Guess I'll buy the E pounds after I get there for the tips.

Didn't realize that I could get the Visa at the airport in Cairo. Jordan tells its visitors the Visas can be obtained at the airport, but had never read that for Egypt. Uniworld encourages its cruiser to get the Visa before arrival, and as I have stated various websites and blogs tell some horror stories of those where blimps in the system have occurred. So, perhaps I paid a few extra bucks, but it's one less thing to deal with. Just like many show up the day of embarkment and never sweat it, and I like to show up at least a day or two early. I will be arriving (if all goes to plan) a day early in Cairo with a visa!

Thanks to all for the great feedback. It still amazes me that any non employee is allowed into the pre Passport Control and pre Customs area! :eek: Where is a better spot with a large number of people, standing together in a tight que, in a relatively small space!

Wendy;

Didn't realize that I could get the Visa at the airport in Cairo. Jordan tells its visitors the Visas can be obtained at the airport, but had never read that for Egypt. Uniworld encourages its cruiser to get the Visa before arrival, and as I have stated various websites and blogs tell some horror stories of those where blimps in the system have occurred. So, perhaps I paid a few extra bucks, but it's one less thing to deal with. Just like many show up the day of embarkment and never sweat it, and I like to show up at least a day or two early. I will be arriving (if all goes to plan) a day early in Cairo with a visa!

Yeah, well Uniworld told us that too, but I checked around on the internet and was satisfied I didn't have to. I could have gone to the Egytian embassy in Ottawa and got them, but it irked me to pay so much more.

Next time, perhaps you could check your facts before you start being so critical of other people's experiences. Have a good trip.

pinotlover, I promise you in all seriousness that we have experienced exactly what David describes, in Cairo, and also in Amman. The guide simply has to leave his passport and identity card with the customs officials as he passes through to the arrival gates, and he picks them up when he passes back through.

Our guide from A&K in Cairo met us beyond passport control, got in the visa line with us, bought our visas, and ushered us through passport control.

Our guide in Amman was at the arrival gate, took us to the money changer, then the visa line to make sure we did everything right. Once we got through passport control, he asked us to wait for a minute while he retrieved his documents, then we were on our way.

In many countries I think that the "visa" process is simply a tax, so there is essentially no chance of getting held up and not getting one...they want the $$. In other countries, I realize that this is not true, and for those countries, applying in advance is advised (and sometimes mandatory).

Bottom line: one set of rules does not apply for all countries. And you have the choice to do visas ahead of time, if you are worried. But we often do not when there is an option to purchase on arrival. That doesn't mean that it's right for everyone, but you may as well know about the option.

This was our experienc in Cairo and Amman as well. Guide collected our passports and $25 per person and 15 minutes later was back with them. Not at all like Russia where we paid outrageous fees for visas.

I wish that all of this info had appeared before regarding Egyptian Visas and Uniworld. I would have taken the option of waiting until we got to the airport. We got our passports and Visas back yesterday, so all is set. Didn't get hit very hard. We paid $15 to the Egyptian Consulate and $45 each to Visa Central as a service fee. So with some paying $25 at the airport, it costs us total $80 extra as a couple. Money down the drain, but not bitten very hard. I wonder why Uniworld doesn't plainly tell its cruisers of this in airport service that is provided?

If this Thread stays up on the front page, maybe future travelers will have the info readily at hand. Thanks to all for posting!

Must admit, with all the security issues some of these airports have had, it really does shock me that any nonpassenger would be allowed into pre Customs and pre Passport check areas! Sloppy Security, imo.

I wish that all of this info had appeared before regarding Egyptian Visas and Uniworld. I would have taken the option of waiting until we got to the airport.

I am not singling pinotlover out here, but recent posts make are a good example about how easy it is to mis-interpret things that people write on the internet, both here and on other social media.

When I first wrote that a year ago we got our Egyptian visas at the airport, and it was a quick and easy process the response was in part:

"Your post makes absolutely no sense. ... It appears that you are stating that this is allowed in Cairo? ... It is completely illogical to ..."

I interpreted this post as a personal attack on me, basically saying I was lying. It was a struggle not to respond with anger. Now it becomes clear that this was not the intent.

I too have been guilty of using ill-advised words in my posts, and am obviously also guilty of reading the wrong the thing into posts by others. A good object lesson for me, and perhaps for others.

Edited by DavidTheWonderer