Medical emergency on the Quest

whystayhome

We have been having a wonderful cruise to Antarctica. Unfortunately, there is a medical emergency on board and the ship had to leave the continent last night and return to the South Shetlands for an evacuation. We arrived at the South Shetlands this morning and the captain just told us that the ambulance plane cannot leave Punta Arenas because of bad weather there. We will have a seaday in the Shetlands while waiting for it to arrive. If the plane can't get here today, we may have to take off for Ushuaia this evening to get the two ill passengers more advanced treatment than is available on the ship.

What a nightmare for the sick passengers and their families. Everyone is hoping for the best possible outcome.

We have been having a wonderful cruise to Antarctica. Unfortunately, there is a medical emergency on board and the ship had to leave the continent last night and return to the South Shetlands for an evacuation. We arrived at the South Shetlands this morning and the captain just told us that the ambulance plane cannot leave Punta Arenas because of bad weather there. We will have a seaday in the Shetlands while waiting for it to arrive. If the plane can't get here today, we may have to take off for Ushuaia this evening to get the two ill passengers more advanced treatment than is available on the ship.

What a nightmare for the sick passengers and their families. Everyone is hoping for the best possible outcome.

I'm so sorry to hear this. My thoughts are with the sick passengers but also with all other passengers whose 'once in a lifetime' Antarctica plans have been disrupted [emoji45]

How many days did you spend in Antarctica before the ship turned around? Did you get to do any landings?

Please continue to keep us posted!

All the best & safe travels!

Floris

Edited by florisdekort

How very sad for the ill passengers. Fingers crossed the plane can take off today. This cruise was "scheduled" to be in Antarctica from Jan 18-24. The South Shetlands where they have been diverted are where we did our first landing at Yankee Harbor so if they can successfully get the passengers on a plane today they may be able to salvage a landing day tomorrow. In any event scenic cruising in the South Shetlands can be magical as the scenery is other worldly -- especially if the sun is shining and there is a blue sky to contrast with the white snow covered peaks. And the Captain may have another potential option to regain a landing day. If the weather is good he can do the Drake Passage from the Shetlands one day (as we did in December) rather than the two scheduled. Everything on this itinerary is constantly in a state of flux and this should serve as a reminder to those thinking of booking this trip to go with a flexible attitude and no set expectations. It is an amazing journey no matter what. I wish the ill passengers the best and a speedy recovery and the crew and other passengers a pleasant onward journey. This is also a reminder why on this trip especially even if you are young and in good health evacuation insurance is critical.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We had four of our scheduled six landings. Today has been turned into a sea day. It seems like the plane will be getting to the South Shetlands later this afternoon and we will be steaming off somewhere after the two (unrelated) patients are evacuated from the ship. There will probably be a landing tomorrow, but the Captain has not told us where. It is very disappointing to have to miss two days of our Antarctica experience, particularly as we have had such wonderful weather, but there's nothing to be done but to accept the circumstances and look forward to our next destination.

Whystayhome - I'm so sorry that your cruise is being disrupted by medical evacuations. That's bad news for everyone but it sounds like your attitude is going to make your cruise a good one, regardless.

I realize that ship internet is slow and pricey, but if you could post a daily program for a sea day, or the Fitness Center schedule, I would really appreciate it even if you post it when you get home. My husband and I are doing the Quest Antarctica over Christmas and New Years and we've never been on Seabourn before. I'm just curious as to what the sea day activities are (and not necessarily the scenic cruising sea days but just a "regular" sea day) and am interested in any gym/fitness classes. Good luck with the rest of your cruise and here's hoping you get a landing tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

whystayathome - thank you for the update! Good to read you at least experienced 4 out of the 6 landings as well as kayaking - and in beautiful weather at that. That's not a bad score; weather can easily prevent 2 out of 6 landings as well on these itineraries. Thoughts and prayers for the ill; I hope the rest of your sailing is uneventful. I'll be following on the Expeditions blog. Time to start packing soon; I fly to Santiago on Friday.

Floris

Whystayhome, thanks for keeping us up to date with the ongoing events of your cruise. The anguish and worry that the sick passengers and their relatives are feeling must be terrible.

We did the 28th November Buenos Aries to Santiago and due to the windy weather we had to miss our scheduled stop in The Falklands. Captain Dag had warned us from day 1 that he didn't think it would be possible as it was too dangerous to put out the tenders in the very choppy seas. Most people were really disappointed. We just sailed on, did our 6 landings in Antarctica and had an extra day in Ushuaia. Not much to do in Ushuaia on a Sunday and most passengers had tours booked for the Monday, so the majority stayed on the ship. Nowhere near as traumatic as your journey I know, but Dag and Iggy did say that we had no itinerary and would take each day as it came.

Everyone had a wonderful cruise.

I hope that despite the upheaval and disappointment that you have experienced that you are still and will continue to have a great cruise.

Also very sorry to hear of the passengers' illness, and praying for the best. This is everyone's nightmare, particularly on a trip like this. I've seen helicopter extractions from a cruise ship off the coast of Denmark on a warm day with calm seas, but this region is a whole 'nother story.

My wife and I will be joining you, florisdekort, but only as far as Buenos Aires. I don't want to take up space on this thread, but what will you be doing in Santiago for the extra time? Please message or email.

My wife and I are on this cruise. Even with the missed landings this trip has been nothing short of spectacular. The expedition crew is beyond outstanding. This was our first Seabourn cruise, with most of our previous cruises on Crystal. Our take: We love the ship, the size of the staterooms, the food and the crew. We wish nothing but the best for the ill passengers, and we suspect most of those on the ship do, as well. Their fate could have been any of ours. Over and out.

Herb

Thanks for the updates! It looks like you arrived in Ushuaia 2 days early, Tuesday as opposed to Thursday. I'm curious as to what they'll do with the rest of the itinerary.

Sent from my iPhone using [url=https://siteowner

We are arriving in Punta Arenas a day early, which has caused problems with the private tour we had arranged, so we are going to take a Seabourn tour instead. The captain is promising a sail around Cape Horn, weather permitting. They have also added a stop in Chacabuco, where there does not appear to be much to do. I'm sure guest services will come up with options for the day.

Whystayhome - I'm so sorry that your cruise is being disrupted by medical evacuations. That's bad news for everyone but it sounds like your attitude is going to make your cruise a good one, regardless.

I realize that ship internet is slow and pricey, but if you could post a daily program for a sea day, or the Fitness Center schedule, I would really appreciate it even if you post it when you get home. My husband and I are doing the Quest Antarctica over Christmas and New Years and we've never been on Seabourn before. I'm just curious as to what the sea day activities are (and not necessarily the scenic cruising sea days but just a "regular" sea day) and am interested in any gym/fitness classes. Good luck with the rest of your cruise and here's hoping you get a landing tomorrow.

There is so much to do it's hard to choose. There are several Antarctica-themed lectures a day as well as a documentary film or two. The expedition team is available on deck several times a day to help you see wildlife or answer questions. If you are interested in bridge, there are lessons and duplicate games on seadays. Team trivia is very popular. There are fitness classes in the mornings and afternoons. There is a show each night after dinner and often a second shorter show before dinner. There is high tea in the late afternoon. The bars have live music. There are also the usual spa and shop events if you are interested. The insuite entertainment system has a wide range of choices. You will never be bored. If anything, it's hard to find time just to chill out on deck.

This is the most amazing cruise I have been on, despite the truncated schedule in Antarctica.

Also - You might want to visit the "referral coupon" thread to get a referral worth $400 in OBC...

Linda

The Drake passage can be the Drake Lake or the Drake Shake you never know as weather in that area changes so quickly.

It was very annoying on the way down; not so bad on the way up. When we were in bed, it was pretty shaky, so we pretended we were in a massage chair getting a spa pedicure.

Thanks for the updates! It looks like you arrived in Ushuaia 2 days early, Tuesday as opposed to Thursday. I'm curious as to what they'll do with the rest of the itinerary.

Sent from my iPhone using [url=https://siteowner

We are arriving in Punta Arenas a day early, which has caused problems with the private tour we had arranged, so we are going to take a Seabourn tour instead. The captain is promising a sail around Cape Horn, weather permitting. They have also added a stop in Chacabuco, where there does not appear to be much to do. I'm sure guest services will come up with options for the day.

Have been to Porto Chacabuco and there isn't much there. However, the Seabourn bus trip into the Andes to Coyhaique was a lovely day trip. Yes, just a small town for a wander around, but the views were lovely, the mountains spectacular and the lupins along the road were glorious. A pleasant way to spend the day.

So again as a reminder to all of those considering booking the Antarctica cruise do so only if you go into it knowing change is the norm not the exception on this cruise itinerary. Here is the scorecard for the current season:

Nov 28. Cruise -- skipped Falklands due to weather

Dec 19 cruise-- skipped one day in Antarctica replaced with extra sea day

Jan 12 cruise -- two days skipping in Antarctica due to medical emergency, extra cruising day and Chilean port added.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So sorry to hear of the pax with illnesses - and having been on-board where we had to make an unscheduled stop for an emergency (and other issues with illness and worse) - understand the urgency to insure the well being of the sick folks. Hopefully everything works out for them. At the same time I am hoping the changes did not ruin the cruise for the rest of you: it sounds from the reports that Seabourn did its best to both handle the emergency while insuring the overall cruise was still great. And as Chairsin said, you have to be prepared for changes in that part of the world.

• 4 weeks later...

We were also on this trip. It took approx. 60 hours from when the medical emergency was initially declared to when we docked in Ushuaia... A difficult decision for the captain to stay at the island where the ambulance can land for a second day and hope the evacuation flight could be made or head for Ushuaia. The decision was made to go to Ushuaia which was 30+ hours away.

Everyone on board supported the captain's decision. It was exactly what you would want to happen if it was your family or friends. Seabourn did a great job in organising an additional port and the cruise around Cape Horn.

However there was much discussion on board that Seabourn did not require a medical clearance for passengers to travel to Antarctica. Our travel agent(Australian) advised from their knowledge Seabourn is the only cruise line that does not require a medical clearance. My medical practitioner said they thought every one over 60 needed a medical clearance to go to Antarctica...

Everyone on board supported the captain's decision. It was exactly what you would want to happen if it was your family or friends. Seabourn did a great job in organising an additional port and the cruise around Cape Horn.

I would not say "everyone". Although the Officers on board are very discreet, many have commented over the past two weeks that the previous sailing was one of their toughest work experiences ever, dealing with both the medical evacuation and "endless complaints". Apparently (I know, ship's rumor mill) a group of passengers have teamed up and are threatening legal action, demanding refunds and compensation for "stress" [emoji15]

A great pity that this Antarctic cruise has had problems - both with the weather and the medical emergencies. On another thread a poster mentions that prospective passengers should have medical approval for them to go on such a cruise - even though emergencies might occur, this seems like; an eminently sensible thing for Seabourn to do. Understandably these cruises will appeal to those who are older and less fit and well, as they are less arduous than a real expedition cruise, but do give the chance to go ashore, unlike some of the huge ships now doing 'sail by' cruises in the area (ridiculous IMO).

I wonder if the dissatisfied passengers are simply upset by the lack of landings and ports they expected, or are unhappy with the way the onboard life has been organised; service, food etc. It is a very expensive trip, obviously, and expectations are high.

One does have to feel for the officers and staff dealing with these problems, some very difficult decisions to make.

Let's see if I am getting this right.

A passenger on this cruise became so seriously ill that their future wellbeing, or life, was threatened? In order to save this passenger from dying the Captain had to make some difficult decisions which resulted in a few scheduled stops being cancelled.?

Some passengers are now planning to sue Seabourn because their vacation was spoilt?