Abu Dhabi port to Sheikh Zayed Mosque.

crusader sports

Joining MSC Fantasia 26th March at Abu Dhabi for 16 night cruise. Intention is to check in onboard(approximately 11.30am) then get a taxi to Sheikh Zayed Mosque. (Ship doesn't depart until 11.30pm.) Does anyone know approx cost of taxi to this Mosque and if payment can be made in either Euro or U.S $?

We were on VOS last week and were at Abu Dhabi. The Sheikh Zayed Mosque is very beautiful and not to be missed. In terms of Taxis, there are plenty in the port. It is easy to arrange one for a few hours at a reasonable cost. Most were asking for about $30 US/hr. Again very reasonable. I think you can negotiate in any major currency.

Our cost for taxi from the cruise terminal in Abu Dhabi to the Shiekh Sayed Mosque was 70Dirham, one way, that we shared with another couple. (Current exchange rate is about 3.50Dirham to a U.S. dollar.)

Taxi drivers prefer the Dirham, but will accept Euros or U.S. Dollars...but you will probably pay more...they will not have change.

We separated from the couple we shared the taxi with and took the taxi back to the ship on our own. It only cost us 35Dirham to get back. There is a surcharge for all taxis leaving from the cruise terminal...no surcharge coming back. Driving time was approximately 30 minutes one way.

The entrance to the mosque is free. There is also a free guided tour inside that is about an hour long. Please be advised of proper attire for both men and women. There is a security checkpoint (x-rays) at the entrance. Men and women have separate entrances.

Yes, it is absolutely stunning. The free guided tour provided extensive information that made us appreciate this place even more.

Note: Please visit the restroom whether you need to use it or not...it is the most beautiful restrooms we have ever seen. :)

Joining MSC Fantasia 26th March at Abu Dhabi for 16 night cruise. Intention is to check in onboard(approximately 11.30am) then get a taxi to Sheikh Zayed Mosque. (Ship doesn't depart until 11.30pm.) Does anyone know approx cost of taxi to this Mosque and if payment can be made in either Euro or U.S $?

Would advise you check when the mosque is open to the public to plan your visit. As others say,it is a wonderful place and should not be missed. You can agree with a taxi driver on a price to go to the mosque, for him to wait and the you could go on to the Emirates Palace Hotel - another lovely place. You could the get a taxi back to the ship which the hotel will arrange for you. On one visit to Abu Dhabi I had afternoon tea at the hotel and it was fantastic - not cheap but worth every penny. You can book direct from the hotel's website

Good luck with your plans. I am sure you will enjoy the Emirates. I have my son and his family based in Dubai and I do so enjoy my visits there and there are still so many places I have yet to visit and many I want to re-visit

Suron (Suzanne in Bristol, UK)

P.S agree with comment on toilet facilities at the mosque!

Edited by suron
Added comment

The mosque was one of the highlights of our Regent cruise from Mombay to Egypt & is not to be missed. I repeat a prior poster that proper attire is required. One of the members on our tour was denied entry do to ucovered shoulders. we can't help about taxi costs as we took the ship tour.