All good in Strait of Hormuz?

katetim

My cruise leaves out of Dubai in two weeks, traveling back and forth through the Strait of Hormuz. I am American and am an experienced traveler, but have never been to the Middle East. In view of the fact that the US president has been making incendiary statements about Iran and has enacted an offensive travel ban, I am looking for reassurance that this trip is still a good idea, and that it is still much safer to visit Dubai/Abu Dhabi/Muscat via ship than it is to walk down some American streets. Thoughts?

My cruise leaves out of Dubai in two weeks, traveling back and forth through the Strait of Hormuz. I am American and am an experienced traveler, but have never been to the Middle East. In view of the fact that the US president has been making incendiary statements about Iran and has enacted an offensive travel ban, I am looking for reassurance that this trip is still a good idea, and that it is still much safer to visit Dubai/Abu Dhabi/Muscat via ship than it is to walk down some American streets. Thoughts?

You seem to be mixing USA politics with your travel plans. The Straits of Hormuz has been having incidents long before our presidential election--remember the US Navy ship and sailors that were seized---or when we shot down an Iranian passenger jet!!!

Cruise ships continually use the straits--even the most conservative lines like Seabourn. Incidents can happen of course, but do you feel safe touring in Paris or Brussels or Istanbul etc?---or that many of the Mosques in London are run by Salafists? Do you remember Somali pirates chasing cruise ships?

We are in an era of terrorism, but we still have our lives to live. Caution should be observed, but cruise lines are usually pretty conservative in their choices of ports. My wife and I were snorkeling in the Straits of Hormuz in recent years off a Silversea Cruise. Dubai and Abu Dhabi are great places to visit with low crime and I feel safer there than many USA cities. We will be there in late March and early April. We may not feel comfortable with all of their customs or their some of the treatment of women, but we can still enjoy the visit and the spectacular things to see!!

Safety is a personal decision--if you do not feel safe --CANCEL--if you are ok then have a great trip!!!

We cruise through the straits 3 years ago on a Regent cruise. You will receive a special security briefing for your cruise and there will be undisclosed security procedures that should give you comfort.