River Cruise to Italy

Lois R

Hi, I took my first River Cruise last year and LOVED IT:D.....and I have been looking again......I would love to go Italy......I was there 5 years ago on an Ocean Cruise.......anyway, last year I sailed with AMA and it was fantastic but it doesn't look like they have a cruise to Italy........so I googled and used this site and UNIWORLD comes up with one....Gems of Northern Italy......sounds so good and I have never been to these places before. Milan to Venice on the River Po.

Can I get some feedback about Uniworld and if anyone has done this itinerary?

We will be taking our third trip with Uniworld in June and it is the Gems of Northern Italy. Uniworld was a wonderful experience both times. It is an all inclusive line. So all tips, drinks all day, excursions, etc... As a returning guests they even provide one free bag of laundry a week. There are free diy laundry facilities including detergent as well. The food and service is definitely 5 star in my opinion. And the beds are the most comfortable I've ever slept in.

I have spent over 2 year researching this trip. It is important to note that it isn't a traditional river cruise in that the Po isn't like the Danube or Rhine. Most of the sailing is actually in the Venice Lagoon. So think of it as a floating hotel with some of the most beautiful views in the world. The trip starts with a 2 night pre cruise stay in Milan which include a view of "The Lord's Supper". You can add a 5 night post cruise trip to Florence and Rome. We had initially booked this but due to family obligations rescheduled the trip for this year instead of last year and decided not to do the Post Cruise but to just do Northern Italy this trip.

I suspect you will get some responses here telling you as I was told when I first asked about the trip last year that you would be better off doing a land trip to Italy. But the more I read about this trip and its reviews the more I became convinced it is a wonderful way to see Northern Italy. I just love the unpack once and the to be honest being waited on hand and foot and not having to worry about the travel details.

If you go to Uniworld's website and click on "Already Booked" you will see a link to Cruise Companion. You can pull the Italy cruise companion guide on line and it has a pretty detailed day by day description of excursions.

I will be doing a detailed day to day report at the end of June. I'm as excited about this trip as any we've taken. I don't think you will be disappointed with Uniworld or this trip as long as you know you won't be sailing down a long river for long periods of time as you would the Danube or Rhine.

Good luck with your research

Brian

This is not a typical river cruise and more of a floating hotel concept and land extension.

The Po river is only navigable in a short section and you are basically docked in Venice for the duration, spending nights aboard and taking buses to the excursion locations. As someone who loves Italy

and has been there many times, it has no appeal to me whatsoever.

Perhaps if you really want to spend a ton of time in Venice (one of my least favorite cities in Italy) and it works out to be cheaper than a hotel stay, it would be a good choice. For me, I love the culture of Italy and when I am there, I want to be enjoying the local dining and street scene and not having my meals on a boat docked in town. I don't get the appeal at all.

A friend, who is very well traveled and had done 5 AMA cruises prior to this one, did the Po with Uniworld recently and said that while they enjoyed it, they were disappointed with the ship (older vessel with small cabins), food and wine quality and variety, and overall experience. Her husband did not care for it at all.

Good morning, thanks for the replies........I did not realize the logistics and going on a bus to get everywhere else

is not very appealing to me.:(

I will keep looking......there are a lot of place to visit around the world:)

I don't disagree with Caviargal that it isn't a traditional river cruise and more of a floating hotel. I do disagree that its about spending a lot of time in Venice. Only 2 of the 10 days are spent in Venice. Milan, Verona, Padua, Chioggia, Bologna, Ferrara, Burano, Mazzorbo, Torcello are the many different small and mid size cities visited. The boat moves through out the Lagoon and a small part of the Po if navigatable. It is true that many of these are not on the lagoon/river and a bus is needed with Bologna being the farthest at an hour and half ride. I guess I feel to visit all of these places on a land tour that I'm still going to have to choose a base of operation and use a combination of train, bus, car, etc... to get to them any way. So the appeal to me is unpacking once, five star service, unique excursions provided such as the private evening lighting tour of St Marks Basillica, Pasta making demonstration with lunch in Bologna, Mussel Harvesting in Chioggia, private lunch at a wine estate on the way from Milan, viewing of the Lord's Supper without waiting in line for tickets, and a host of walking tours, etc...

It appeals to me that every ticket, transportation, guide, tip, etc... is taken care of. I find it appealing that because you are covering very little distance traveling that there is a significant amount of time to soak in the local culture. Like river cruising in general this isn't for everyone. But Lois, if you share any of the same preferences outline above it is certainly worth considering. That's what is so wonderful about the "travel" world we live in today. There are so many different way to explore and enjoy and meet different personal preferences.

In regards to the River Countess Ship, I do agree that the rooms are on the smallish size but the reviews I've read as a whole are very positive.

So certainly not wanting to contradict anything Caviargal posted as she is much more well travelled then myself. Just want to provide the prospective of why the Uniworld Northern Italy trip appeals to some.

We had this cruise booked a couple of years ago, but cancelled because of the reviews that it was basically a bus ride to the various cities from a boat that rarely moved - in other words a floating hotel. We changed to the Douro with Uniworld and loved it. Having said that - I would recommend that you consider using Venice, Milan, Rome. or Naples and then book day trips yourself with private companies. A travel agent could book these tours for you if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. Use your time and $$$ for a real river cruise.

Cole

Hi Brian, I appreciate your postings too......but I am not really looking for a "floating hotel".....I love the cruising aspect AND getting on and off the ship in each port:D........the busing around? Not really appealing and I don't time for

another week in Europe.

I also have some other opportunities and am weighing my options......a river cruise, or possibly a luxury type line

have come into play......Windstar for one.........they look simply fabulous...they go to the Med, Italy, Greece, etc......

Good morning, thanks for the replies........I did not realize the logistics and going on a bus to get everywhere else

is not very appealing to me.:(

I will keep looking......there are a lot of place to visit around the world:)

I did this cruise its inaugural season, and there were fewer "stops." We had Padua, Ravenna, Bologna, and Verona, all on consecutive days. Because the water level was low on the Po, the only cruising we did was on the lagoon. I'll agree with others that this is more of a floating hotel trip. It requires bus rides regardless of the level of the Po. In fact, we were tired of the bus rides, and skipped Bologna, opting instead to spend the day in Chioggia, which we thoroughly enjoyed.

We enjoyed the cities we did visit, the ship, the crew, and the food. However, I understand your not wanting to be bussed everywhere. This was nothing like the cruises we have had on the Seine, the Danube (and I'm sure the Rhine, next month)

We, too, are looking at Windstar. My husband wants to experience a "sailing ship," though right now, next year we are tentatively booked on Celebrity to Norway, out of Dublin.

Robin

Another line to look into is Star Clippers. They actually hoist the sails and use them for power, not mere decoration as Windstar. They also offer single supplement discount sailings. We used them for an Adriatic cruise Venice to Athens.

Another option would be to look into small ship sailing. I've looked into both Vantage and Viking small ship sailings. My teacher schedule doesn't match up but both are quality products

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Another line to look into is Star Clippers. They actually hoist the sails and use them for power, not mere decoration as Windstar. They also offer single supplement discount sailings. We used them for an Adriatic cruise Venice to Athens.

Another option would be to look into small ship sailing. I've looked into both Vantage and Viking small ship sailings. My teacher schedule doesn't match up but both are quality products

Okay, tell me more about Star Clippers. Which ship did you cruise on? We are very interested in the same route you took.

Thanks!

Robin

I agree with papa be me that while this is not a standard river cruise it has a lot going for it. I have over 56 cruises under my belt including both river and ocean so I am at a point of been there done that. This is a great chance to see a portion of Italy that will be new although I have spent 4 days in Venice before which unlike caviar girl is one of my favorite cities. It will be a chance to experience Uni world and what they have to offer. As an aside I suggest that anyone discouraged by the thought of bus tours and stationary mooring do not book an Elbe cruise which is almost guaranteed not to sail. There again if you want to see the country more than the actual sailing it is a great itinerary. Everyone has their own priorities

Okay, tell me more about Star Clippers. Which ship did you cruise on? We are very interested in the same route you took.

I did Star Clippers in the Med and it was not for me. Cabins were small and cramped, there was not a lot of open deck space, dining was limited. Also, we had a lot of motion in certain sailing areas and it was not pleasant.

I have always wanted to do Windsurf but Windstar has changed under their new(ish) ownership and I have put that plan on hold.

We do like small ship cruising and are trying Ponant in Croatia this year.

Good morning:)...I am trying to find a "smaller ship experience" and so of course I came back to the River Cruise Forum:D

But I have been looking/researching and have found some very interesting (albeight some pricey)choices.....

This past year has brought me some life challenges (good and bad) and part of it is the opportunity to sail in the

luxury category. Small ships with what looks like lovely itineraries and top service/food.

I am looking at different lines that I never thought I would be looking at.......Silversea, Seabourn....and CG, you

mentioned Ponant?...I googled them too...

Have to keep researching ......

Small ships with what looks like lovely itineraries and top service/food.

I am looking at different lines that I never thought I would be looking at.......Silversea, Seabourn....and CG, you

Ponant appeals to me for luxury rooms and inclusions as well as the itineraries which are far more interesting than those offered by the mass market lines. We loved Dubrovnik when we visited a few years and have been wanting to get to Croatia and explore it in depth. The Adriatic itinerary was a perfect choice for us! It leaves and returns from Venice and, since we are not fans, we are spending time in northern Italy and training in to meet the boat on day of departure.

We were very pleased with our Oceania cruise in 2014 and are booked for the Marina to the south Pacific in March of 2018. That is as large a ship as we would consider and we very much enjoyed the experience we had on Riviera.

I did Star Clippers in the Med and it was not for me. Cabins were small and cramped, there was not a lot of open deck space, dining was limited. Also, we had a lot of motion in certain sailing areas and it was not pleasant.

I have always wanted to do Windsurf but Windstar has changed under their new(ish) ownership and I have put that plan on hold.

We do like small ship cruising and are trying Ponant in Croatia this year.

No Star Clippers are not for everyone. Agreed. But if one wants an authentic sailing experience and the casual ambience then it's something to look into

Wet landings to beaches, climbing the mast to the crows nest, being on deck when the crew lifts the sails, is not for everyone, but for us a trip of a lifetime. Either you love sailing or you hate it. There is no in between.

The website shows everything. Some of the ships are larger and more luxurious than others

I know Windstar has the yachts (and the sailing ones too).......they look lovely to me.

It is nice we all have so many choices.:D........I just have to figure out which choice I want to do for later this year:)

I may end up doing AMA again....and I am sorry if I got this thread off topic...from River cruising to "other"

cruising.

No Star Clippers are not for everyone. Agreed. But if one wants an authentic sailing experience and the casual ambience then it's something to look into

Wet landings to beaches, climbing the mast to the crows nest, being on deck when the crew lifts the sails, is not for everyone, but for us a trip of a lifetime. Either you love sailing or you hate it. There is no in between.

I was on Star Clipper. My only other major sailing experience was a private charter on a 52 ft Beneteau with friends down in the BVI. I am glad I had both experiences but will not repeat either.

Good morning:)...I am trying to find a "smaller ship experience" and so of course I came back to the River Cruise Forum:D

But I have been looking/researching and have found some very interesting (albeight some pricey)choices.....

This past year has brought me some life challenges (good and bad) and part of it is the opportunity to sail in the

luxury category. Small ships with what looks like lovely itineraries and top service/food.

Have to keep researching ......

You could also look at Azamara. Not as luxe as the above list perhaps, but very interesting itineraries that make use of the small(er) size of their ships.

I must respectfully disagree with some of the above replies. I think you are making a mistake ruling out the Venice and Gems of Northern Italy cruise. Of all our river cruises (extensive), this is the one we still talk about. Have you read the Cruise Companion to see what it entails? While it's true that it doesn't cover the distance of other itineraries or pass majestic castles, by the end of the trip you will be an expert in Venice and The Veneto, and will experience Verona, Padua, Ferrara, Bologna, Ravenna and some lesser known towns like Chioggia in depth. I defy you to do all that on your own conveniently in that amount of time. Sure, you could (I also went through my Rick Steves phase!), but you will spend the majority of time at the behest of train schedules, rare bus service, etc. Also, while it's true that you are docked in Venice 3 or 4 days, the ship does dock in different areas of Venice so we were able to get know the different areas like San Polo, Dorsoduro, and Castello, etc. Also, when we were taken to Piazza San Marco or the Accademia Museum, or the Rialto for example, we were taken by large motorboats right past all the famous buildings right up the Grand Canal which was as thrilling as the destinations themselves. One morning we accompanied one of the chefs to the Rialto Market and saw the most amazing fruits, vegetables and seafood. Also Chef picked out a live Octopus I'm sure I saw that night in the ceviche! There was plenty of time for concerts or the opera in the evening or to just meander around Venice like locals. This trip can be as exciting as you make it Lois, so just give it another look! I welcome disagreement and discussion. That's the purpose of CC!

SOS,

Thank you for your comments. It is reassuring. When I started investigating this over 2 years ago I looked at doing a land tour, DIY tour, ocean cruise and the Uniworld cruise. The more I researched and the more I thought about it I came to many of the same conclusions that your just voiced. I can't wait to experience myself. I'm always amazed when I enter a thread about this trip the amount of negativity towards it. I look forward to giving a day by day account here. Who knows maybe I will discover I'm completely wrong but I have a suspicion that we are going to find it as magical as you did. Thanks again!

Brian

You could also look at Azamara. Not as luxe as the above list perhaps, but very interesting itineraries that make use of the small(er) size of their ships.

Jazz,

Just booked my first Azamara cruise for Sept 2018. Your review and comments helped me to decide to go ahead with Azamara. Starts in Lisbon then all ports in Spain. Can't wait. Sorry for hijacking this thread.

PapaB, we started out doing the same thing you did. I thought we'd just "do" Italy on our own. But I've really come to enjoy the small group tours... so I started looking for small groups and guides... etc. Then my husband reminded me we had an extra credit from Uniworld on our last cruise. The idea of letting them do all the planning and taking care of details made me realize how spoiled I'm getting with them. I still tell people my favorite thing on the last cruise was being able to get on the ship after a day of touring and ask for a glass of champagne, then sit and enjoy. Repeat as often as needed. A couple we met on our Rhone cruise last year took this trip and really enjoyed it. I doubt I'll give a day-by-day in May for our trip, but I'll try to check back in with a quick review.

Hi folks, no worries about hijacking the thread:).......I enjoy friendly conversation.

Jazz, I looked at Azamara.......maybe not as closely as the others.......I will check them again.

Oh, I remembered something today.......I have a good, longtime friend who works for Silverseas........so I am

looking at them..........she is quoting me on a cruise from Southhampton to Copenhagen..........an itinerary

that sounds really good to me.

And I decided to get a quote from Crystal for the Pacific Coast.......

I guess I am the one who got off topic:o

The website shows everything. Some of the ships are larger and more luxurious than others

True enough . . .

We've spent weeks aboard both the Royal Clipper and the Star Clipper in the Med and the Caribbean. One of our best cruises, hands down, were three back-to-backs in the Eastern Med with discrete itineraries. Of course we went to Mykonos and Santorini but the other ports! Nothing like being the only ship around and hanging on a hook with a liberty boat to take you to a harbor side cafe for grilled octopus, salad, and the local wine. SC also does an itinerary from Rom to Venice, around the boot and up the Dalmatian Coast that we enjoyed.

PapaB, we started out doing the same thing you did. I thought we'd just "do" Italy on our own. But I've really come to enjoy the small group tours... so I started looking for small groups and guides... etc. Then my husband reminded me we had an extra credit from Uniworld on our last cruise. The idea of letting them do all the planning and taking care of details made me realize how spoiled I'm getting with them. I still tell people my favorite thing on the last cruise was being able to get on the ship after a day of touring and ask for a glass of champagne, then sit and enjoy. Repeat as often as needed. A couple we met on our Rhone cruise last year took this trip and really enjoyed it. I doubt I'll give a day-by-day in May for our trip, but I'll try to check back in with a quick review.

Debbie,

Have a great time and I look forward to your review. If you think about it please mention whether you choose Bologna or Ferrara. This is the most difficult choice for me to make. I'm thinking about taking the half day to Ferrara instead of the whole day in Bologna then taking the bikes out after lunch.

Brian