1 April Cruise from Genoa - A few questions

bluecontrolman

Hi everyone

I'm taking my first cruise on 1 April on the MSC Armonia - leaving from Genoa. We are just doing the 3 night version, disembarking in Sardinia. I'm from the UK by the way.

Sorry, I know this is a common topic but i'm currently debating whether to take any of the drinks packages. My partner and I aren't big drinkers but I usually find it easier to have an all-inclusive. I'm trying to find out what the prices are for drinks onboard so I can work out if it's worthwhile but can't find them. Can anyone help?

Actually when I look at the packages offered on my cruise there isn't a full all-inclusive offer - only the meal time packages and various coupon deals. Does anyone know why?

On a broader topic - like I said this is my first cruise so i'm not quite sure what to expect. A few people that i've spoken to have been very negative about MSC cruises in the Med, they've said the cabin is awful, food is almost inedible and that the passengers are typically rude and noisy. As someone that had a very working class upbringing i'm pretty relaxed about this sort of stuff but I thought i'd ask for other opinions. I just need to prepare my partner for the worst :D

Thanks

Hi, there are all inclusive non-alcoholic packages available, so if you fancy just the odd tipple you could pay extra for that but have all your soft drinks, coffees etc covered. I can't remember the price.

Coffees are normally about 2,5Euro if I remember correctly, plus 15% service charge

The full all inclusive package is 22Euro per day

Skier 52 posted a picture of the drinks menu, can't remember which thread it is on thoug

Hi everyone

I'm taking my first cruise on 1 April on the MSC Armonia - leaving from Genoa. We are just doing the 3 night version, disembarking in Sardinia. I'm from the UK by the way.

Sorry, I know this is a common topic but i'm currently debating whether to take any of the drinks packages. My partner and I aren't big drinkers but I usually find it easier to have an all-inclusive. I'm trying to find out what the prices are for drinks onboard so I can work out if it's worthwhile but can't find them. Can anyone help?

Actually when I look at the packages offered on my cruise there isn't a full all-inclusive offer - only the meal time packages and various coupon deals. Does anyone know why?

On a broader topic - like I said this is my first cruise so i'm not quite sure what to expect. A few people that i've spoken to have been very negative about MSC cruises in the Med, they've said the cabin is awful, food is almost inedible and that the passengers are typically rude and noisy. As someone that had a very working class upbringing i'm pretty relaxed about this sort of stuff but I thought i'd ask for other opinions. I just need to prepare my partner for the worst :D

Thanks

Hi, there are all inclusive non-alcoholic packages available, so if you fancy just the odd tipple you could pay extra for that but have all your soft drinks, coffees etc covered. I can't remember the price.

Coffees are normally about 2,5Euro if I remember correctly, plus 15% service charge

The full all inclusive package is 22Euro per day

Skier 52 posted a picture of the drinks menu, can't remember which thread it is on thoug

The bar list is on this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2413060

I've done 9 Med cruises and two more booked, with MSC ( out of 15 cruises with them) and 3 with other lines. I found MSC to be as lease asgood as the others but you have to bear in mind the Italian influence.

I haven't been on Armonia but have been on Opera, Lirica and Sinfonia ( the 3 sister ships to Armonia)

The cabins are very good but I've only had balcony cabins and suites; the food is variable, from the occasional diabolical offering to superb ( especially the pizzas and risottos) but then food is very subjective. I would say they average 3 to 3.5 stars out of 5 stars for food, it's not their strongest selling point.

Their value for money is their best, followed by the sparkling ships which are kept immaculate, and the standard of shows especially on the bigger ships, the shows on the smaller ships are good but not as good as on the big ones.

As for the drinks package I would say it is definitely worth having the Allegrissimo basic package as not only do you get wine and beer for with meals but also water , soft drinks, coffees and their delicious ice-cream. I'm not a big drinker but have always been better off having it, especially when you pre-order and don't pay the 15% service charge.

You can always phone their sales team and request it. Remember that both occupants of the cabin have to have he same package except if it's a voucher system then you can have as many or few books of vouchers as you require

It takes all the hassle, and worry about the end bill, out of getting drinks on board and bottles of water to take ashore with you. and it only costs £20 per day per person.

If you go to the MSC web site and follow these links you should be able to order the AI package

1) Already Booked

2) Enhancing Your Cruise

3) Beverages - Alcoholic packages

Pete

Edited by Skier52

The bar list is on this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2413060

I've done 9 Med cruises and two more booked, with MSC ( out of 15 cruises with them) and 3 with other lines. I found MSC to be as lease asgood as the others but you have to bear in mind the Italian influence.

I haven't been on Armonia but have been on Opera, Lirica and Sinfonia ( the 3 sister ships to Armonia)

The cabins are very good but I've only had balcony cabins and suites; the food is variable, from the occasional diabolical offering to superb ( especially the pizzas and risottos) but then food is very subjective. I would say they average 3 to 3.5 stars out of 5 stars for food, it's not their strongest selling point.

Their value for money is their best, followed by the sparkling ships which are kept immaculate, and the standard of shows especially on the bigger ships, the shows on the smaller ships are good but not as good as on the big ones.

As for the drinks package I would say it is definitely worth having the Allegrissimo basic package as not only do you get wine and beer for with meals but also water , soft drinks, coffees and their delicious ice-cream. I'm not a big drinker but have always been better off having it, especially when you pre-order and don't pay the 15% service charge.

You can always phone their sales team and request it. Remember that both occupants of the cabin have to have he same package except if it's a voucher system then you can have as many or few books of vouchers as you require

It takes all the hassle, and worry about the end bill, out of getting drinks on board and bottles of water to take ashore with you. and it only costs £20 per day per person.

If you go to the MSC web site and follow these links you should be able to order the AI package

1) Already Booked

2) Enhancing Your Cruise

3) Beverages - Alcoholic packages

Pete

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. My work block all the hosted picture sites so I'll have to wait till I get home before I can look at the menu prices. But I think you've convinced me to go all-inclusive. It's just funny that there isn't the option for me to add it online - it gives me the options of pretty much every type of drinks package apart from the all-inclusive ones. Maybe it has something to do with them renaming the packages - i'll give the customer service team a ring to add it.

We're just staying in a basic exterior cabin. As long as it has a bed and working shower i'll be happy. The value for money was excellent, I was surprised how cheap it was - hence my slight hesitation about the quality.

They haven't actually sent me any information yet about where to go to embark or what time - but I guess that will be included with the e-tickets. I only completed the web check-in yesterday and I noticed that it said tickets wouldn't be issued until afterwards.

Edit - Sorry, I just thought of this. My partner is perfectly happy with both wine and draft lager but I don't really drink either. I don't mind the odd pint of a Premium lager like San Miguel but I don't touch things like Calsberg/Fosters/Carling etc. Ideally i'm a cider man but I'm pretty happy drinking ale as well. Should that influence my decision?

Edited by bluecontrolman

................ I think you've convinced me to go all-inclusive. It's just funny that there isn't the option for me to add it online - it gives me the options of pretty much every type of drinks package apart from the all-inclusive ones. Maybe it has something to do with them renaming the packages - i'll give the customer service team a ring to add it.

Possibly because you're only doing a 3-night cruise. I did a 4 night one and couldn't purchase the all-inclusive - even onboard. Only vouchers were offered. Perhaps you'll have more luck.

But I think you've convinced me to go all-inclusive. It's just funny that there isn't the option for me to add it online - it gives me the options of pretty much every type of drinks package apart from the all-inclusive ones.

Beamafar is correct this is from the MSC UK website

Refresh yourself with great savings

We’ve created an array of great-value drinks packages to offer you the choice of refreshment that most appeals to you, from soft drinks to fine wines and premium beers. Our all inclusive cruise options and numerous drinks packages give you carte blanche to quench your thirst whenever you like and can be combined with a huge selection of cruise holidays. So go on, give yourself the gift of total relaxation!

Note: the all inclusive drinks package is not available on cruises of less than 4 nights duration.

Hope this helps.

Beamafar is correct this is from the MSC UK website

Refresh yourself with great savings

We’ve created an array of great-value drinks packages to offer you the choice of refreshment that most appeals to you, from soft drinks to fine wines and premium beers. Our all inclusive cruise options and numerous drinks packages give you carte blanche to quench your thirst whenever you like and can be combined with a huge selection of cruise holidays. So go on, give yourself the gift of total relaxation!

Note: the all inclusive drinks package is not available on cruises of less than 4 nights duration.

Hope this helps.

Ah, that's annoying. Maybe they are worried about encouraging a certain crowd who would see it as a cheap way of having a boozy 'weekend'.

That's funny, on the two mini cruises I did on Splendida last year we were able to purchase drinks packages...

On Armonia, there are more draft beers in the pub at the front of the ship. The usual beer included is Heineken, but in the pub there are more options to choose from that are free, including Amstel and Newcastle Brown

That's funny, on the two mini cruises I did on Splendida last year we were able to purchase drinks packages...

On Armonia, there are more draft beers in the pub at the front of the ship. The usual beer included is Heineken, but in the pub there are more options to choose from that are free, including Amstel and Newcastle Brown

Maybe i'll still ring them and ask. There are a variety of packages on offer to me on the portal but not the inclusive one. The main package is the mealtimes one at £13 a day - but as I don't really drink alcohol when eating it's not worth it for me. My partner does enjoy wine with food but not £26 worth! Also Heineken is one of the lagers I don't touch (I know I sound a bit precious here but lager is one of the very few things i'm picky with).

A way around it would be to go for the mealtime drinks, then upgrade when onboard - your cruise cards will have a specific number which denotes your drink package.

You can then upgrade by paying the difference, with 15% grats on top of the difference (so £7 plus 15% of £7) - the premium package at £36 per day is well worth it in my opinion as with that you can have everything on the ship except wines by the bottle, johnnie walker blue and litre bottles of raki.

There's a large selection of beers, a few German and Belgian ones among them if they float your boat, stout, cider (cider isn't included on the standard plan)

The odd thing is, we have a 3 night cruise from Genoa on the 11th April, and as we booked a Fantastica cabin it included free all inclusive as part of the booking because of a promotion.

Under booking details and cabin information I have the below showing:

CabinALL-INCLUSIVE RESTAURANT & BAR DRINK PACKAGE A.

You need to expand the cabin section... wonder if that's there for you hence why you can't book again?

It possibly has something to do with the mini-cruise being a part of say a 7 night port-to-port one where you'd normally embark/disembark at the same one and for logistical reasons they allow people to do a section of the cruise to ensure that there are cabins available along the way. Hope that makes sense. In my case the sailing was a 'closed' circuit as in Durban-Durban.

The odd thing is, we have a 3 night cruise from Genoa on the 11th April, and as we booked a Fantastica cabin it included free all inclusive as part of the booking because of a promotion.Under booking details and cabin information I have the below showing:

CabinALL-INCLUSIVE RESTAURANT & BAR DRINK PACKAGE A.

You need to expand the cabin section... wonder if that's there for you hence why you can't book again?

I just checked and there's nothing showing under the cabin section. It is a Fantastica cabin as well but there was never any mention of free drinks - well apart from something about coupons for US travellers.

We only paid £160 each though for the cruise so I would be surprised if they gave us anything else.

I have another quick question:

My itinerary says that the ship will be arriving in Cagliari at noon. This is where we're disembarking and we are planning to go straight to our Airbnb accommodation near the port. From experiences is it likely that the ship will be on time and how long does it usually take to disembark? I just want to give the property owners an idea of what time we will arrive.

I have another quick question:My itinerary says that the ship will be arriving in Cagliari at noon. This is where we're disembarking and we are planning to go straight to our Airbnb accommodation near the port. From experiences is it likely that the ship will be on time and how long does it usually take to disembark? I just want to give the property owners an idea of what time we will arrive.

The time of arrival is usually quite accurate, the odd times we have not been on time was when fog prevented the ship from going in to Venice. I would say that it takes 20 - 30 minutes from the time they ship is tied up and completely stopped to get the clearance, and then they start letting passenger off. You would need to be ready and waiting to disembark as they give priority for disembarkation to excursion groups.

I just checked and there's nothing showing under the cabin section. It is a Fantastica cabin as well but there was never any mention of free drinks - well apart from something about coupons for US travellers. We only paid £160 each though for the cruise so I would be surprised if they gave us anything else.

As 1fifthavenue said "................. booked a Fantastica cabin it included free all inclusive as part of the booking because of a promotion".

I've now received 3 separate emails from MSC is the last few days asking if I want to take out the 'unlimited drinks package' :confused:

I wrote in another post about the general drinks vouchers thing. The only offers I see online are for specific drinks (beer/wine/water) - does anyone have the details of being able to purchase generic vouchers?

I tried to ring them yesterday but after 10 minutes of being on hold I gave up.

Sorry, another basic question.

In terms of food availability - obviously I know that we get our evening meal included in a sit down restaurant at t set time - but how does it work for the rest of day? Presumably we will be off the boat during the lunch but I was wondering about breakfast and snacks when we get back on (we don't eat until 8:30).

THanks