Live...mostly...from Anthem

KarinaGW

After following this thread ,I have to chime in first it's nice to see a sincere concern for you fellow cruise lover .

Secondly glad all came threw this with no more than a few bruises and an awesome story to tell

Third I'm a bit disappointed in the fact that this thread which could have been a real insight into many aspects to what was going on , but sadly like most things on the internet they become diluted, and the next thing you know we're talking about lawsuits and blame , and of course personal attacks . So brovo on lowering the standard to the status quo

That's it safe sailing to all

FWIW, I think you have every right to post your opinions and thoughts here. If others don't agree, so be it. I have not seen anything mean spirited or nasty from you. I know what it's like when your opinions don't mesh with the cool kids in class here.

She may be stuck with the baggage from her comments on sharing a drink pkg. Some folks don't forget that. It seems to have spilled over into other threads as well.

For the life of me......I just can't understand why people would cruise from the northeast in the winter?? You lose at least 3 days of being outside because of frigid temperatures, a couple of lame stops, and days trapped inside coming back. (cold)

Spend all this money to be cold and trapped inside, what kind of vacation is that? Ok, they have onboard entertainment and activities. Big deal. You can get this entertainment right in NYC, be cold, see a show and go home for much less.

For heavens sake, Fly your body down to Florida or Peurto Rico, somewhere warm, take a cruise to warm destinations and be outside sunning and drinking in the winter!!

2+2=4 folks

This ship should of never left the harbor. This storm was forecasted days before the cruise.

It did not change course. The storm formed and tracked as forecasted.

With all the modern technology off the ship and on the ship, your trying to tell me they did not have an idea. If not sure, why even risk it??

Buoys were reporting 30 foot waves and high winds before the ship even sailed. Royal and the captain knew what they were in for. Corporate greed and a Captain too dumb and scared to call the shots and not listen to Miami.

Safety of the passenger was clearly not first and foremost!! They lie! At this point , Royal will say anything but the truth to save face. Cruise ships are talented at twisted and also keeping information from the public.

I hope congress and the lawyers attack. This is clearly carelessness and gross negligence on there part.

my 2 cents.

People would think differently if they were on the ship and had worried families!!

And this from your vast experience as master of oceangoing vessels? The fact that you consider 30' seas to be extraordinary shows your level of inexperience. As forecast when the ship left port, it was going to be a storm, but not an exceptional one. Are cruise ships to stay in port whenever any storm is forecast? They'd never sail. Yes, the storm tracked as forecast, but it deepened dramatically, and to many meteorologists, unexpectedly.

Remember, if the Captain felt that the storm was going to pose a serious threat to the lives of the passengers, his life was just as much at risk.

Did you see the truck of the ship on the YouTube Video? Sailing into the Gulfstream Force 5 wind? by the way, on modern ship like this you don't helm the ship Pods, Trusters, and computers do it all for you, your in control with a joystick.

Huh? You have to trust those trusters and trucks:confused:

I agree.

Bill Nelson is an idiot just trying to get people to notice him.

There is nothing the NTSB would do. Fine RC because some of their chairs are broken?

We are all welcome to our opinions. This was about those on Anthem and the serious and scary storm encountered. How did Bill Nelson get labeled as an "idiot"? This adds nothing to concerns about the sailing and the safety of passengers and crew. It is sad to see a thread that began with earnest concern for a ship and turn into such a negative dialogue.

Could they patch it up with boards and such? Sure. Will they do that? I don't know. For things like missing glass railings, I highly doubt they'd slap some boards there and say "good enough". If they had to get it from here to there, that might be okay but they arent going to send a ship out to sea like that. It's probably a matter of whether the right parts can get to NJ this week to fix most things properly. It may be too short notice. I have no doubt if they have all the right parts they can get it ready in a few days.

The Westin in Atlanta lost a considerable amount of glass in a tornado several years ago. It was patched with wood panels for over a year unto new glass could be sourced.

I have a major interest in this cruise ship as you can see below. If she can hold her own in 150 mph winds and 30 plus foot waves, this was a true test for our cruise in four weeks. I feel safe with the ship and the captain.

My prayers go out to all those currently on board. Please have a safe journey home. You may arrive back in Bayonne to snow and the Jersey shore is currently flooded. El Nino and Mother Nature is not on our side.

We are all welcome to our opinions. This was about those on Anthem and the serious and scary storm encountered. How did Bill Nelson get labeled as an "idiot"? This adds nothing to concerns about the sailing and the safety of passengers and crew. It is sad to see a thread that began with earnest concern for a ship and turn into such a negative dialogue.

It's been a long night and day. God got blamed as well

http://www.freep.com/story/opinion/c...ship/80021010/ __________________

Maybe more concerned then normal with his wife also on board for this sailing if I remember right.

I'm not going against the cruise director at all...I've just been following, because I have a cruise on the Anthem coming up. I just wanted you to know that it may not have been on this thread. It could have been on another or one of the many news articles I read. Unfortunately it's out there. You defending his character is just what needs to be done. Maybe other people on the ship will stand behind you. I would hate to see his reputation ruined because of one stupid comment. Wishing him the best...you too. : )

For the life of me......I just can't understand why people would cruise from the northeast in the winter?? You lose at least 3 days of being outside because of frigid temperatures, a couple of lame stops, and days trapped inside coming back. (cold)...

Why would people cruise from the northeast in the winter? Because some people enjoy days at sea as well as the convenience of cruising from a nearby home port. We took the Anthem on January 3 for a 12 night cruise especially for the sea days. We could have cared less which ports the ship stopped at. Never felt trapped.

For the life of me......I just can't understand why people would cruise from the northeast in the winter?? You lose at least 3 days of being outside because of frigid temperatures, a couple of lame stops, and days trapped inside coming back. (cold)

Spend all this money to be cold and trapped inside, what kind of vacation is that? Ok, they have onboard entertainment and activities. Big deal. You can get this entertainment right in NYC, be cold, see a show and go home for much less.

For heavens sake, Fly your body down to Florida or Peurto Rico, somewhere warm, take a cruise to warm destinations and be outside sunning and drinking in the winter!!

2+2=4 folks

Interesting question having lived in New Jersey for most of my life. I would jump on a ship to warm weather out of NY or Bayonne and not think twice. A few days at sea in a warm ship are good! I was not trapped.

Not everyone wants or can fly to Florida to sail out of our ports. I now live in Florida and sail from here but I also fly up to New England and will also fly to NY to sail in October.

Puerto Rico? YIKES! That flight and overnight stay costed us more than a flight from NY to Florida.People need to choose what meets their needs and luckily there are many choices. If I still lived in New Jersey, I would still be happy to jump on board and sail south.

I hope all remain safe. We are booked on the Anthem in a couple of weeks. Yes we live in New York and wanted to go to sun and fun. We do not want to bear the expense in airfares and a hotel prior to the cruise. We also cannot predict a snowstorm which might prevent us from getting to the ship in Florida, so we book up North!

And this from your vast experience as master of oceangoing vessels? The fact that you consider 30' seas to be extraordinary shows your level of inexperience. As forecast when the ship left port, it was going to be a storm, but not an exceptional one. Are cruise ships to stay in port whenever any storm is forecast? They'd never sail. Yes, the storm tracked as forecast, but it deepened dramatically, and to many meteorologists, unexpectedly.

Remember, if the Captain felt that the storm was going to pose a serious threat to the lives of the passengers, his life was just as much at risk.

I doubt the captain made the decision to sail all by himself. With 6,000 bodies and a $2.4 billion dollar ship at risk, I'm sure all upper management considered all the facts available, and felt it was ok to sail as scheduled.

The storm was predicted to be a "monster" days before the ship left.

When the ship was to leave port, the storm was already formed off the Carolinas and the waves were over 30 feet and winds exceeding 85 mile per hour. Wouldn't they have this information?

If you look up the path the ship took, The Captain went right into tis storm.

Also, the Captain is under the influence of Royal Corporate. Rarely, can he make an independent decision.

Royal did not want to cancel , because it would cost them money. That's what this is all about!

I doubt the captain made the decision to sail all by himself. With 6,000 bodies and a $2.4 billion dollar ship at risk, I'm sure all upper management considered all the facts available, and felt it was ok to sail as scheduled.

Actually, upper management doesn't know squat about ship handling and storms, so while he probably did notify the Fleet Manager (or whatever equivalent title RCI uses), it was pretty much left to his judgement. That's what the company pays him for.

That is for when the ship is docking. First off, thrusters are completely ineffective when either the ship or water speed is more than 5 knots. The "helm" controls both the speed of the propellers and the direction they point, since this is the steering. It works just like any other ship, and in seas like this, you do not use the "computer" or auto-pilot, you hand steer.

Not really, I will be very surprise if the ship did more then 3 kt into this soup, there is no more need to have water flow over the rudder, actually there is no rudder on this ships.

No technology can predict the unpredictable..... you are absolutely correct on your 2 posts.... thanks for posting

I have to agree. How can anyone say RCI would take chances with the passengers lives. While in the Navy, we went through a typhoon in the Sea of Japan. I know what it feels like and how the passengers, who don't cruise often would get the opinion that the Captain knew what was coming. No way would any cruise Captain would take chances.

The storm was predicted to be a "monster" days before the ship left.

When the ship was to leave port, the storm was already formed off the Carolinas and the waves were over 30 feet and winds exceeding 85 mile per hour. Wouldn't they have this information?

If you look up the path the ship took, The Captain went right into tis storm.

Also, the Captain is under the influence of Royal Corporate. Rarely, can he make an independent decision.

Royal did not want to cancel , because it would cost them money. That's what this is all about!

It IS costing them money. Full refunds and 50%FCC and replacing damaged items and if my cruise gets cancelled on Saturday, I will ALSO expect a full refund.

Video capture is excellent. Interesting to read some of the responses as well. As a seasoned sailor who has spent many miserable days on gray hulls off the VACAPES in the winter, storms that rapidly intensify there are not uncommon. This storm appears to have gone from a light gale to nearly a CAT 1 hurricane in a matter of hours. Tough call for the line and Captain. Weather looks okay 24 hours prior, so you leave and make 500 miles in a day at 20 kts, but the storm intensifies around you, you have to slow down and keep bow on the sea, and you cannot get out of it quickly. If they had stayed pierside in Bayonne for 2 days, there would have been just as much unhappiness, especially if the weather went as forecast. Things don't always go as planned at sea. Welcome to the life of a sailor.

That is one of my gripes my two little guys are 6 and 4 and the price is no different then if they were adults. What you are saying is 100% towards each persons expectations. RCCL cant touch NCL and how they treat a suite guest and food quality and perks but NCL cant touch Ship coolness and how 5 start our room was. Never sailed in something so grand. So its a give an take. I rated the ship well I just expected more for that type of coin.

No matter what your expectations you have to admit they are nickle and diming every cruiser to death its so insulting. Pretty much a surcharge for anything of quality food wise Then Surcharges for "Popcorn, glow items, restaurants and then special items in those restaurants, room service really? The list goes on. Its in very poor taste.

If that is the way you feel, why are you still sailing on Royal. Albert Einstein put it best. Doing something over and over again and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity. Adios, enjoy your suite on NCL and take comfort in the fact you can wear your wife beater t-shirt to dinner and not feel over dressed.

I have to also agree that I was surprised at how much movement I felt on Anthem in seas that were not particularly rough. I happen to enjoy a little movement so it wasn't an issue for me, but it does seem to be an issue.

What that said, the most stable ship on the world would have been tossed around by that storm Anthem went through... so at some point it really doesn't matter.