What Happened to the NCL Sunward?

RFLOUNDER

I worked as ship's physician for NCL from 1988-1992. I was on the Norway most of the time, but did take the MS Seaward for 2 months when it first sailed. I was on the Sunward 2 for couple of weeks in 1990. It was a wonderful little ship. I was one of the last before it was sold. It was Asia bound, and I lost track of her. The Seaward was eventually sold as well. As for the Norway, she was wonderful! I meet so many wonderful people through the years. It was enjoyable, but not party central. There were 2 doctors, and 3-4 nurses. We were working or on-call most of the time. After the additional decks were added, there were 2,500 passengers and 900 crew. I can't imagine the mega-ships of today with 5000-6000 people on board. It seemed on our day's off, there was something going on. It was a classic ship, and I doubt it will ever be duplicated. Wonderful memories!

Happy Sailing!

Joseph

• 4 weeks later...
I worked as ship's physician for NCL from 1988-1992. I was on the Norway most of the time, but did take the MS Seaward for 2 months when it first sailed. I was on the Sunward 2 for couple of weeks in 1990. It was a wonderful little ship. I was one of the last before it was sold. It was Asia bound, and I lost track of her. The Seaward was eventually sold as well. As for the Norway, she was wonderful! I meet so many wonderful people through the years. It was enjoyable, but not party central. There were 2 doctors, and 3-4 nurses. We were working or on-call most of the time. After the additional decks were added, there were 2,500 passengers and 900 crew. I can't imagine the mega-ships of today with 5000-6000 people on board. It seemed on our day's off, there was something going on. It was a classic ship, and I doubt it will ever be duplicated. Wonderful memories!

Happy Sailing!

Joseph

Hello Beachdoc!,:)

My husband also worked for NCL as a doctor from 1992 to 1996. That was when NCL switched to Canadian doctors and as a perk their wives could go along as well. Our first ship was the Starward, then the Sunward the one that was leased back from Birka and had a Finnish crew. We then went to the Norway, Seaward and Crown. We were mostly on the Norway. How sad the way she ended.

We were normally on for four months and went home for "holidays" for two months. Those were the days!!!! It was a wonderful experience. We met some wonderful crew members and from time to time still see them on a cruise. My husband has since passed away but I still cruise as a solo once a year.

happytotravel:)

Jean