Things people do that make it obvious they are cruise virgins

acesgame

Just curious how everyone carries their sign and sail card? I kind of like the lanyard although I always make my own or buy a nice one that looks like jewelry.

Sophia

This was a real problem for my GF, who wears dresses with no pockets. Her solution? Asking me to carry it. :D The things we do for love.... :cool:

I've been on 20 cruises and I use a lanyard because it is so convenient; I don't have to worry about my card falling out of my pocket or being left behind anywhere.

My sentiments exactly!

Each to their own, but 15 cruises and I've never lost a cruise card yet, and I'm usually carrying DWs as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Just curious how everyone carries their sign and sail card? I kind of like the lanyard although I always make my own or buy a nice one that looks like jewelry.

Sophia

Before going on a cruise, I make sure to switch my iPhone case to another one I have that has card slots on the back to put my stateroom card in. Since I use my iPhone as my camera, it's always with me.

I have never had any card demagnetized in my EYN. It snaps closed without a magnet. However my phone being in such close proximity hasn't caused any problems either.l

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was a real problem for my GF, who wears dresses with no pockets. Her solution? Asking me to carry it. :D The things we do for love.... :cool:

Didn't you read the "Y-Chromosome Handbook"? It's mentioned in there....:rolleyes:

I always carry a small hand bag with me. I need some place for my lip balm and tissues. If this makes me a newbie, so be it. I don't care as long I'm onboard enjoying my cruise.

You know, I am taking this with a grain of salt and consider this thread all in good fun. But, and I mean a large but, why make fun of people on their first cruise. My wife and I are taking our first cruise in June 2017 to Alaska with HAL. We are thrilled and excited. If we do something that doesn't fit in with the more experienced cruisers, that is a big steaming plate of tough poop. We are not going to impress anyone else on the cruise, we are going to enjoy ourselves.

Good post! I still experience the same thrill as the first time every time I cruise. And I'm perfectly willing to appear to be a novice cruiser. Have a wonderful time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know, I am taking this with a grain of salt and consider this thread all in good fun. But, and I mean a large but, why make fun of people on their first cruise. My wife and I are taking our first cruise in June 2017 to Alaska with HAL. We are thrilled and excited. If we do something that doesn't fit in with the more experienced cruisers, that is a big steaming plate of tough poop. We are not going to impress anyone else on the cruise, we are going to enjoy ourselves.

May your every cruise be as magical and exciting as your first! Go forth and _enjoy_!:*

Ever see the movie Fargo? Some people thought that the movie was making fun of Minnesotans. But Minnesotans saw it and knew it was an homage not slander. This thread is by the experienced cruisers (i.e. the Minnesotans). We were all there at one point, and this thread is an homage. You'll understand more after your first cruise.

• 1 month later...

We are also thrilled and excited. We still can't stop smiling, when we board the ship. We wear our lanyards and it's a great convenience. We take LOADS of photos. I wander the deck early in the morning looking out on the ocean. I've lost my way to my cabin or forgotten my cabin number numerous times early on in the cruise or gone the wrong way down a hall in spite of the fact that I've previously been on the ship.I don't bother memorizing the ship deck plan. We've never been on a single cruise to impress anyone else on the cruise. We are going to enjoy ourselves. By the way, our card on that lanyard says Diamond on Royal and Elite on Celebrity and we LOVE chatting with the newbies just as much as the "old salty.' I couldn't care less if someone has been on one cruise or 100 cruises. When i stop being thrilled and excited on a cruise ship, I'll find a different vacation. Enjoy your cruise and don't let any of the stuffy folks or remarks bother you.

We are also thrilled and excited. We still can't stop smiling, when we board the ship. We wear our lanyards and it's a great convenience. We take LOADS of photos. I wander the deck early in the morning looking out on the ocean. I've lost my way to my cabin or forgotten my cabin number numerous times early on in the cruise or gone the wrong way down a hall in spite of the fact that I've previously been on the ship.I don't bother memorizing the ship deck plan. We've never been on a single cruise to impress anyone else on the cruise. We are going to enjoy ourselves. By the way, our card on that lanyard says Diamond on Royal and Elite on Celebrity and we LOVE chatting with the newbies just as much as the "old salty.' I couldn't care less if someone has been on one cruise or 100 cruises. When i stop being thrilled and excited on a cruise ship, I'll find a different vacation. Enjoy your cruise and don't let any of the stuffy folks or remarks bother you.

My thoughts exactly! EVERYBODY started out with exactly 0 cruises! And some of these "newby" things apply to my wife and I and we're both not new to cruising. If somebody thinks we are, that's fine as we're cruising for our enjoyment not someone else's! As to worrying about someone thinks about us, a couple of years ago I heard a good quote about that. It went along the lines of "If people who worry about what people think about them, they'd be surprised to find out how few people really think about them at all!"

Keep on cruisin'!

Tom

• 4 weeks later...
This is good to know since I've seen many people talking about the welcome aboard mimosas offered and just assumed they were complimentary as you might expect at a 4-5 star hotel/resort we've stayed at before.

On celebrity the mimosa is complimentary