Given the choice......

ozzysdad

Pricing up two cruises next year, from your experiances which would be better for a 40 odd year old couple with 12 year old son,

A805/A Azura Transatlantic Barbados-Southampton 23rd/24th March 14 nights/13 nights.

Or

E806 Oceana Mediterranean Southampton-Valletta 26th March 10 nights.

Both are repositioning cruises that offer good value, any comments regards either cruise would be much appreciated. Particularly with regards activities for our 12 year old son and general comparisons between the two ships.

I should go for Azura, my daughter referred to the Caribbean as "Paradise" once when I asked her about another cruise. The extra day in Barbados is a must and do as adventure orientated excursions as you can;, like the submarine or zip-lining, if they are available. Otherwise do beach days with a taxi, ideally a water taxi around to the far side beaches. Children's clubs are very good on all P&O ships. You will never be the same again.

Regards John

I think there will be enough children on board but not loads. Have you thought of Maho Beach at St. Marteen, that's the famous "Airport Beach" and a bit dangerous (see Youtube). There is a bar there with a timetable.

Regards John

I think there will be enough children on board but not loads. Have you thought of Maho Beach at St. Marteen, that's the famous "Airport Beach" and a bit dangerous (see Youtube). There is a bar there with a timetable.

Regards John

I have it looks a great place to spend the day, I have been to St Marteen twice previously but ended being dragged round the shops, not this time I can assure you :)

As a ship I would favour Azura over Oceana for a 12 year old as there is probably more to do but on this years translantic crossing on Britannia there were very few school age children and it may be similar next year.The dates for Oceana are more likely to be in the school holidays.Another thing to consider is that on the translantic cruise there are usually 8 days at sea- a long time if you get bored easily! There will be sea days on Oceana but not as many. I would find it a difficult choice to make as the Carribbean is more exciting for a 12 year old but if he/she gets bored easily 10 days is easier to cope with than 13 or 14

We have just done the Oceana re positioning cruise from Southampton to Malta, we did it as 17 nights and there was a noticeable difference in the amount of children from the 10 night to the 7 night, not many kids on board first leg.

I agree with Azura. Better cabins, more to do for both adults and children and newer ship. Would highly recommend a balcony on C deck, starboard side of the ship.

I also agree about Azura rather than Oceana with a 12 year old. Just out of curiosity tartanexile81 - why do you prefer starboard?

I also agree about Azura rather than Oceana with a 12 year old. Just out of curiosity tartanexile81 - why do you prefer starboard?

I was about to ask the same, is it beneficial on a transatlantic Barbados-Southampton to book a balcony on the starboard side? Does it catch the sun for most of the day? Is C deck beneficial for any particular reason?

C Deck is good as they have really big balconies. They are very popular.

This is correct, but do not forget to tick "No Upgrades" just in case you get a marginally higher grade cabin on the port side. Not many people would be happy with that going midships on the port side whereas you may have just lost a forward or aft sunny balcony on the Starboard side.

Regards John

Im guessing this is 2018?

There might not be many children on board as imagined as both start quite a bit before the UK North term ends (29th March). Is your child's school hot on school time fines or lax on it?

Thats the reason why both are such good value.

Saying that though, Royal have got some cracking deals on for the Easter Hols next year.