Fine, I'll Try a Small Ship - Live GRANDEUR Review (July 2, 2016)

Dateline: September Sixteenth, Two-Thousand-Fifteen

(phone rings)

Courtney: “Hello?”

Tim: “Yo dude. I think I found something that will bridge the gap between our Norwegian Escape cruise in February and our Anthem of the Seas cruise in October. It’s the Grandeur of the Seas on July 2nd to Bermuda”.

Courtney: “Did you just call me 'dude'? Anyway, that sounds great! Is the Grandeur one of the newer, bigger ships?”

Tim: “Uh, not exactly. It’s an older, smaller ship.”

Courtney: “Oh. That’s ok I guess. As long as it has a Royal Promenade then I’m ok with it.”

Tim: “Yeah, uh, no Royal Promenade. But it has a Centrum!”

Courtney: “Oh. Well as long as we’re in a balcony room then I guess I can tough it out”.

Tim: “Yeah, um, about that. Balconies cost almost double on this cruise so I booked us in an oceanview room for now. But it says it has a SUPERIOR ocean view!”

Courtney: “No balcony? What???? Well as long as the room has a refrigerator to keep our bottled water cold then I guess I can survive.”

Tim: (clears throat) “Ummm, there are no refrigerators in the rooms on these older ships.....(short pause)......But we can still get ice delivered to the room twice a day!”

Courtney: “WHAT??? Now I know you’re kidding. The next thing you’re going to tell me is that there is no shower door and instead there is a curtain that sticks to you while you shower. Nice try. Can't you ever be serious...DUDE???"

(Phone call is terminated. It is unclear who hung up on whom.)

Edited by Yorkvillain

I'm looking forward to this. Quite often the newer bigger ships get the "coverage", so it will be nice to see Grandeur getting the spot light. Seeing her get the Yorkvillian treatment will make it that much better.

Safe trip to the ship, and I will watch for the reports.

Since there are a slew of sparkling brand new, high-tech floating cities that have come out lately, I’m sure there is an extremely high demand for a live review from an ancient broken down barnacle barge like the Grandeur of the Seas right? Yeah, I didn’t think so. Oh well. I’m going to do a live review anyway assuming the sophisticated VOOM satellite doesn’t crash into Matt Damon’s orbiting vessel.

Our cruise is two days away and our roll call is only on page THREE. I guess nobody gets excited to go on an older ship anymore. A&L_Ont, maureencruiser and I have single-handedly filled up five pages on our Harmony of the Seas roll call. And that trip is not until September 30, 2017 (I guess that should be triple-handedly, not single-handedly).

It’s our first time on a RCI ship that is smaller than the Voyager class so I’m really curious to see how we like it. We’re driving down to Baltimore on Friday night after work (about a 3-4 hour drive) and staying at the Best Western in Elkridge, MD for the night. They have the deal where you can leave your car at the hotel all week. They also have a shuttle to/from the port so that’s why we chose this fine establishment. Traffic shouldn’t be too bad on the Friday of July 4th weekend right?

More to come. I’ll also (hopefully) be periscoping @yorkvillain

KCJarvis, look! TWO decks of balconies.d507f1a6014368fd8f404828eb29b62e.jpg

Edited by Yorkvillain

I happen to like the Grandeur but then, I like small ships. Did the Grandeur twice out of Balt. and stayed at the Best Western. There's a nice restaurant right there but if you want, the shuttle driver will take you any place else. We were able to get the BW for $99.

Take a couple of clothes pins to put on the bottom of the shower curtain and it won't become your best friend,

Tim: “Yo dude. I think I found something that will bridge the gap between our Norwegian Escape cruise in February and our Anthem of the Seas cruise in October. It’s the Grandeur of the Seas on July 2nd to Bermuda”.

Courtney: “Did you just call me 'dude'?

I hate when they do that. That Randy Jackson started that on American Idol! :eek:

My second cruise was on the Grandeur back in 1997, and I have to laugh hearing it referred to as a "small" ship (though I know by today's standards, it definitely is). I remember standing next to her at the pier and thinking "My God, its not a ship -- its a building!"

I just booked a cruise on the Grandeur and had the same sort of apprehension as we have not done anything smaller than Voyager class... (other than Majesty for 3 short days). I decided to get over myself and book a 9 dayer out of Baltimore which means NO flying and just a 1 hour drive down I-95! Can not wait to see all of your scopes once again!!!!!!

Also looking forward to seeing how you like the room. I dont normally do anything other than a balcony but this time we will be in two connected insides..... The cheap cost made me do it but I am still quite nervous.

Edited by beachdiamonds

Since there are a slew of sparkling brand new, high-tech floating cities that have come out lately, I’m sure there is an extremely high demand for a live review from an ancient broken down barnacle barge like the Grandeur of the Seas right? Yeah, I didn’t think so. Oh well. I’m going to do a live review anyway assuming the sophisticated VOOM satellite doesn’t crash into Matt Damon’s orbiting vessel.

Our cruise is two days away and our roll call is only on page THREE. I guess nobody gets excited to go on an older ship anymore. A&L_Ont, maureencruiser and I have single-handedly filled up five pages on our Harmony of the Seas roll call. And that trip is not until September 30, 2017 (I guess that should be triple-handedly, not single-handedly)

It’s our first time on a RCI ship that is smaller than the Voyager class so I’m really curious to see how we like it. We’re driving down to Baltimore on Friday night after work (about a 3-4 hour drive) and staying at the Best Western in Elkridge, MD for the night. They have the deal where you can leave your car at the hotel all week. They also have a shuttle to/from the port so that’s why we chose this fine establishment. Traffic shouldn’t be too bad on the Friday of July 4th weekend right?

More to come. I’ll also (hopefully) be periscoping @yorkvillain

KCJarvis, look! TWO decks of balconies.d507f1a6014368fd8f404828eb29b62e.jpg

Looking forward to your review. Our next cruise is aboard Grandeur and we have never been aboard anything smaller than Radiance.

Looking at the picture I can see how small it is. A cruise is a cruise. What could be bad about that.:D

We have not been on the Grandeur (we will be in February) but we love this class (and size) of ship. :) The 'mega' ships are to mega. We have also fallen in love with the 'R' ships with Azamara. We are older (58 and 69) so it does not take much to entertain us. ;) Give us good food (and good wine for me), time to read, some spa time and good destinations and we are good to go. I do not understand those who travel on the same ship and the same itinerary time and again.:confused:

Destinations are the primary reason for cruising...........getting harder and harder to find new ports..........:D

This is exciting and already hilarious! I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Also I know you and Andrew would both be on Harmony the week before me, but I didn't know maureencruiser will be there too! That's going to be so fun and there will be no roast beef sandwiches left for me for sure. [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]

A&L_Ont, maureencruiser and I have single-handedly filled up five pages on our Harmony of the Seas roll call. And that trip is not until September 30, 2017

I suspect there are a lot of things you and Andrew do single-handedly. :eek:

I know you and Andrew would both be on Harmony the week before me, but I didn't know maureencruiser will be there too! That's going to be so fun and there will be no roast beef sandwiches left for me for sure.

Ah yes, they've talked me into tagging along. If I have my way, there will be no escargot left for you, either. :D:D

I suspect there are a lot of things you and Andrew do single-handedly. :eek:

Ah yes, they've talked me into tagging along. If I have my way, there will be no escargot left for you, either. :D:D

Easy there tiger. :p

For how fast they move none should escape us our cruise week, they are snails after all.:D And if they get past us they are "stuck" on a ship with no way out.

Oasis has birds in Central Park, Allure has the gecko, and Harmony shall have snails.

I happen to like the Grandeur but then, I like small ships. Did the Grandeur twice out of Balt. and stayed at the Best Western. There's a nice restaurant right there but if you want, the shuttle driver will take you any place else. We were able to get the BW for $99.

Take a couple of clothes pins to put on the bottom of the shower curtain and it won't become your best friend,

Thanks for the tips. We will probably not get down there until 10-11pm so our time is very limited. The plan is to just check-in and then immediately walk next door to the Stained Glass Pub and stay there until they grab me by my left arm and left leg and heave me out the door.

Edited by Yorkvillain