Sea Dream I

ho-hum

Several chums are reporting that SDI had an issue yesterday and that their voyage has been curtailed earlier than planned and that other chums planning a voyage this coming Saturday have had their voyages cancelled.

SD shoreside management is contacting all current and future passengers to assist them in current and future voyage re-arrangements.

The problem allegedly relates to an incident in the engine room and that none of the passengers or crew onboard were injured though there are reports that they were all safely taken off the boat onto another vessel leaving some crew and senior officers onboard.

There is no further information that is known at present.

Relieved that at least no one was injured, though great sympathies for passengers, crew and SD shoreside management (who are no doubt extremely busy sorting out the consequences from the incident).

Several chums are reporting that SDI had an issue yesterday and that their voyage has been curtailed earlier than planned and that other chums planning a voyage this coming Saturday have had their voyages cancelled.

SD shoreside management is contacting all current and future passengers to assist them in current and future voyage re-arrangements.

The problem allegedly relates to an incident in the engine room and that none of the passengers or crew onboard were injured though there are reports that they were all safely taken off the boat onto another vessel leaving some crew and senior officers onboard.

There is no further information that is known at present.

Relieved that at least no one was injured, though great sympathies for passengers, crew and SD shoreside management (who are no doubt extremely busy sorting out the consequences from the incident).

Not good to hear but thankful everyone alright.

That was a close call... I originally was booked on the SD1 Rome round trip heading off this Saturday as a little late Summer sojourn with my good wife but had to cancel the booking a few months back due to life getting in the way. The planning that goes into arranging one of these trips is immense (have to leave children behind with grandparents, leaving the business ticking over for the duration of the trip, etc) and then to be told "sorry, no boat" whilst perhaps standing on the dockside would be a little tough to take...most definately a large libation called for.

Unfortunately, as ships age, fires become a problem. It has been so as long as ships have had engines. Old wiring, old piping, etc. The twins are due for a complete refit or retirement. I hope the powers that be commit to bringing SDI back to service. I am sure it has been very stressful for the crew and passengers. Best wishes to all concerned. The article mentioned 105 passengers and 61 crew. I hope the 61 crew part is a mistake. That would be severe cost cutting compared to the normal 95 crew.:eek:

Jim, what article are you referring to? Can you post it? (With my limited computer abilities I would never be able to do what I'm asking you to do, but I have confidence in you, Jim.)

My sympathies to those crew and passengers directly involved. As MACT said, the planning that goes into these trips is tremendous, and is equally matched by the stress involved when things do not go according to plan.

On the SD website, voyages are listed for SDI beginning October 1st. The September voyages (I assume there were several but I don't know for sure) are no longer listed.

On the SD website, voyages are listed for SDI beginning October 1st. The September voyages (I assume there were several but I don't know for sure) are no longer listed.

That is incorrect. I must have been looking at the wrong screen. The September voyages are all still there, including the one that starts tomorrow, which we have been told has ben cancelled.

This is very sad news, but am relieved to hear crew and passengers were evacuated safely. Maritime Herald (the spinoff link to Jim's link) mentions SD1 has been towed to Naples for evaluation. Hopefully the damage is not too extensive.

This brought back memories of Windstar's Wind Song ship that caught fire in French Polynesia in 2002... we had sailed from Lisbon to Barcelona on Wind Song the year before, so it was quite a shock to hear the news. Fortunately, as with SD1, all passengers and crew were evacuated safely, but sadly the damage was substantial so Wind Song was not salvageable.

Hoping for the best for SD1 - so many wonderful memories and friendships have been made on that ship!

Jim, what article are you referring to? Can you post it? (With my limited computer abilities I would never be able to do what I'm asking you to do, but I have confidence in you, Jim.)

And here is another link Zimmy:

https://www.fleetmon.com/maritime-news/2016/14651/luxury-cruise-ship-seadream-i-fire-passengers-and-/

Unfortunately, as ships age, fires become a problem. It has been so as long as ships have had engines. Old wiring, old piping, etc. The twins are due for a complete refit or retirement. I hope the powers that be commit to bringing SDI back to service. I am sure it has been very stressful for the crew and passengers. Best wishes to all concerned. The article mentioned 105 passengers and 61 crew. I hope the 61 crew part is a mistake. That would be severe cost cutting compared to the normal 95 crew.:eek:

Yes the number is completely wrong !

It's more like 91 !

And it is usually 98.

So probably 7 are still onboard whilst the rest are back in Naples.

It's important that one should have clarified that at no time were passengers and most of the crew were ever in any harm but obviously the engine crew could have been.

Even a small and contained event like this can create a heck of a detrimental effect on ship's power and this is what seems to have occurred.

The event happened in the early hours and it was decided to remove passengers and most crew by the afternoon.

So all was calm.

The ship is being towed back to Naples and will arrive in the early hours tomorrow.

The ship's passengers have been taken to Rome where they were due to arrive and depart from.

SD have put on meals and tours for passengers.

The crew remain in Naples and all seem fine though tired.

The senior management are flying to Naples to assess the situation first hand.

SD shoreside management have been brilliant, notifying all future passengers and offering guidance etc...

Those that one has spoken too have been very impressed and re-assured.

This seems to be a "blip".

Events like these are common.

Reactions vary but SD have responded extremely well and professionally.

We can take tremendous assurance from this.

Both shipside and shoreside have been brilliant.

SDI will be back into service before too long, have no worries.

Edited by ho-hum

We shall know more after all the governing bodies concerned have had their inspections. When "incidents" occur that involve evacuations and towing, the Classification Society in charge ( I think it is Det Norske Veritas, DNV for short on SeaDream) sends their surveyors, the insurance carrier sends their surveyors, and likely the Coast Guard (or equivalent) of the waters sailed at the time will send their inspectors. When all the brain trusts determine cause (and fault if any) they will all present a list of required repairs. Usually, after the repairs, they all want to re inspect to make sure it was done right. I have been through this process in a freight ship and passenger vessels have some stricter standards so time will tell. Any info from SeaDream will be helpful for those with voyages soon. Hopefully they did not have a "big deal".

We shall know more after all the governing bodies concerned have had their inspections. When "incidents" occur that involve evacuations and towing, the Classification Society in charge ( I think it is Det Norske Veritas, DNV for short on SeaDream) sends their surveyors, the insurance carrier sends their surveyors, and likely the Coast Guard (or equivalent) of the waters sailed at the time will send their inspectors. When all the brain trusts determine cause (and fault if any) they will all present a list of required repairs. Usually, after the repairs, they all want to re inspect to make sure it was done right. I have been through this process in a freight ship and passenger vessels have some stricter standards so time will tell. Any info from SeaDream will be helpful for those with voyages soon. Hopefully they did not have a "big deal".

Very good stuff Jim.

A great source has provided this link:

http://www.maritimeherald.com/2016/cruise-ship-seadream-i-with-105-passengers-caught-fire-off-naples/

It goes into the detail a little more.

Still curious how they arrived at 61 crew.

Could it be that 61 crew evacuated the boat and left 37 crew onboard ?

Thanks for the link. Interesting that it referred to damage to the engine (singular). As we all know SD has two engines. Obviously they both were incapacitated. Hopefully we will hear more as the inspections unfold. I suspect a week down might be optimistic.

Thanks for the link. Interesting that it referred to damage to the engine (singular). As we all know SD has two engines. Obviously they both were incapacitated. Hopefully we will hear more as the inspections unfold. I suspect a week down might be optimistic.

How will we hear Jim ?

How will we hear Jim ?

I might hear a bit through some trade publications but we always rely on our eyes and ears inside SeaDream-----Mr. Hum!! Give AB a call and ask him: "wassup bro????? (Hard to type Cheech & Chong)

Edited by Jim Avery

After watching the video, the title refers to "salvage". It had to be fairly serious as you never want a tug to put a line on you. Never. It trips the most arcane rules of salvage. Most of us (including maritime attorneys) can be confused by the very intricate rules of salvage. Some go back centuries. Also in the video is a noticeable list to starboard. Will post any news I might stumble across. Till then, Happy Weekend all. A holiday weekend here in the US. :D

I might hear a bit through some trade publications but we always rely on our eyes and ears inside SeaDream-----Mr. Hum!! Give AB a call and ask him: "wassup bro?????

"wassup bro" !!!!

Really Jim !

Hum's not conversant with technical stuff, it would be way over Hum's head ....... so it's best you ask, over to you "bro" !

Best do it before the sun's high and before you partake of liquid refreshment.

Just sayin'.

"wassup bro" !!!!

Really Jim !

Hum's not conversant with technical stuff, it would be way over Hum's head ....... so it's best you ask, over to you "bro" !

Best do it before the sun's high and before you partake of liquid refreshment.

Just sayin'.

Too late! The sun is well over the yardarm out here and it is still hot! Very important to maintain your fluid intake. If you ever show up here I will be your guide and make sure you remain well hydrated. The things I do for you.......:eek:

Too late! The sun is well over the yardarm out here and it is still hot! Very important to maintain your fluid intake. If you ever show up here I will be your guide and make sure you remain well hydrated. The things I do for you.......:eek:

......and always forever grateful old chum.

The VISIT will happen when Raggy has finished his Mansion but not 2017 (fully booked).

When does SD typically release the 2018 sailings? The one we really wanted in '17 is booked with a major waiting list.

Usually November - December but with this ?

Expect it may be delayed.

Yes gone are the days of bargains and easy bookings on SD (they are well booked up these days and have been for years) though the prices for SDI xing in October are really great value (priced before recent event).

A visual link below shows the calm, well organised transfer from SDI via Italian coastguard boat to Italian ferry.

[YOUTUBE]vIwcXx2AAWk[/YOUTUBE]

A US "ambulance chasing" outfit has ratcheted up the whole event, even including another ship's photo (in a distressed condition) to exacerbate the situation.

Disgraceful behaviour from alleged professionals.

You will not be sullied with THAT link.