USD to GBP currency exchange on QM2

Former Goalie

My strategy, which I think has given me the best deal all round the world, is: a) get a card (usually a debit card) that doesn't impose a surcharge for foreign cash withdrawals; b) before leaving home, get just enough in foreign exchange for immediate use - onboard rates are usually terrible; c) once abroad, get cash using the card in an ATM. Mainly, though, I pay everything I can with a credit card that also doesn't impose a surcharge for foreign transactions.

• 2 weeks later...

My experience has been that the exchange rates, either on the automated changers or the Pursers desk are grossly un-competetive. I agree that using a card debit or credit that doesn't charge an extra fee is a good idea. Unless your planning to gamble a lot, I would say paying the US Dollar bill at the purser at the end of the crossing and letting your bank do the exchanging is the best way to avoid bad exchange rates. If you get US$ out of an on-board ATM you will end up paying a fee to the owner of the ATM. If your going to gamble get the money at your bank before you travel.

I am presuming that you are traveling to the US to New York. If you land in Brooklyn and need to get to a hotel or airport, Taxis generally accept credit and debit cards. Look for the Visa/MC sticker on the cab or ask.

If you're staying in New York and need US$ the best exchange rate will be at an ATM, where you will get the interbank rate or whole sale rate even if a machine fee is added by your bank or the bank that owns the ATM. You might call your bank as see if they have a reciprocal relationship with a US bank or banks where fees are waved. I know that Barclays debit cards can be fee free at Bank of America ATM. Other banks may have similar arrangements.

As they say Welcome to Brooklyn and the USA. Enjoy your visit.

Does anyone have relatively current currency exchange rates USD to GBP on Cunard ships? I've read rates are not the best on the ship. Exchange rates in the USA aren't all that great, either.

I would rather do without, than exchange any currency on ship The word that comes to mind extortion.:cool: