Servce Reward Programme

vitrocmax

I've just been looking for a definitive answer regarding the recently renamed auto-gratuity, now 'service charge' and despite their being hundreds (maybe thousands!) of posts on the topic, I haven't found an answer to my question; does disembarkation day count?

I ask because the P&O site doesn't make it clear (to me, anyway) if 7 nights on board would be counted as 8 days. I can't remember what happened on our last Ventura cruise 2 years ago.

I also noticed a paragraph on their news page - http://www.pocruises.com/explore/articles/news/introducing-our-new-service-reward-programme/ - 'All tips are distributed fairly among the cabin stewards, butlers, and restaurant and buffet staff' with no mention of all the other equally hard working staff behind the scenes. What does 'fairly' mean? I would say it's unfair to use my tip towards paying a butler as I'm not in a suite, but not to offer anything to bar staff. Are bar staff paid a higher salary instead?

Some previous posts suggest that almost everyone below management level gets a share but it appears that's not the case.

No, you do not get charged an auto gratuity for disembarkation day. Staff not in receipt of these auto gratuities are on an entirely different pay structure (i.e. more) than those who do, or receive remuneration in other ways e.g. bar staff, wine waiters etc receive a commission on all sales that they make. Don't forget, if you have a problem with the auto gratuity system (as many do) you are quite at liberty to go to reception and ask to have it removed. You are then free to tip any staff as much (or as little) as you feel they deserve.

You will never find clarity as it is not in the companies interest.

The daily service charge is the same as the number of nights on the cruise.

Pay the daily charge and don't join the band of passengers who remove it so they get a cheaper cruise which the rest of us are subsidising.

The 'service' charge should be included as a non itemised part of the fare and all the discussions and arguments go away. Other cruise lines do this. It is not rocket science.

There again, if everybody removed their auto tips/ gratuity/service reward charges etc,etc,etc, perhaps P&O may be persuaded to include it in the price. Just saying.

Brian

Brian, this would be a great idea if only it could be guaranteed that P&O would adopt your outcome.

Slightly off topic, but related .

I have always wondered if the crew keep an unofficial database of passengers, the good, the bad and the non tippers! They certainly talk to each other about the passengers.

We were next to a table in the Eclipse MDR and the 4 passengers were creating quite a scene, and eventually walked out. We and other pax were sympathising with the staff, and were told that they were 'well known' troublemakers.

Pay the daily charge and don't join the band of passengers who remove it so they get a cheaper cruise which the rest of us are subsidising.

The 'service' charge should be included as a non itemised part of the fare and all the discussions and arguments go away. Other cruise lines do this. It is not rocket science.

I have to agree with you, even though there are, I know, passengers who do not.

I did an exercise recently on yet another thread about this (:rolleyes:) where I ascertained that P&O are the second cheapest (Fred being the cheapest) so why on earth it is such a problem I really don't understand.

Also agree with davecttr - yet another round of pointless arguments and discussions....... :eek:

Slightly off topic, but related .

I have always wondered if the crew keep an unofficial database of passengers, the good, the bad and the non tippers! They certainly talk to each other about the passengers.

We were next to a table in the Eclipse MDR and the 4 passengers were creating quite a scene, and eventually walked out. We and other pax were sympathising with the staff, and were told that they were 'well known' troublemakers.

My husband and I are pretty certain they do. We nearly always have a Suite and the Butler always seems to know that we will be using him a lot, which he would only get from hearing about us from other Butlers.

Thanks for the response, Selbourne. I hoped by not giving the thread a 'tips' title I would limit the replies but obviously not. It's a real bone of contention for many, but I'm happy to leave it to the auto-gratuity system (sorry, service charge)

@ davecttr; as you say the P&O official policy is unclear, they refer to days without qualifying the statement.

@ everyone else, I think your points are adequately covered on many similar threads so no further replies are warranted, but thanks for your input.

Enjoy your cruising, everyone.

Thanks for the response, Selbourne. I hoped by not giving the thread a 'tips' title I would limit the replies but obviously not. It's a real bone of contention for many, but I'm happy to leave it to the auto-gratuity system (sorry, service charge)

@ davecttr; as you say the P&O official policy is unclear, they refer to days without qualifying the statement.

@ everyone else, I think your points are adequately covered on many similar threads so no further replies are warranted, but thanks for your input.

Enjoy your cruising, everyone.

Indeed. Let's hope it ends now! :D

Enjoy all and every cruise you take. :)