Emigrating on the QM2 (4th August) some questions...

Norfolknights

So after a lot of research it turns out that it is cheaper for us to move ourselves and our dog to the US on the QM2 as opposed to going by plane!

Also we can take more cases and walk off at NYC to our hire car with a pup in tow! Looks like we're doing it old skool!!!

We steam past the Statue of Liberty on August 12th having passed our wedding reception venue on leaving Southampton at the other end. It'll be 12 years (shy of two days) since we had our wedding photos taken at Netley and we'll pass the exact spot as we leave for a new life in NC! Who knew?!?

So some questions:

As non-cruisers this is all very new to us. Our normal holidays are a mix of road trips to little backwaters in the US, weird self-built trips to Eastern Europe or other less-traveled paths, standard beach holidays with a party vibe or some adult-only 5 star resorts in the Carribean. I'm guessing the voyage will be most similar to the latter.

We're 32 and 31 and we like to think we can fit in with anyone in any place. We've hosted everyone in our home from premier league footballers and bishops to homeless people and been hosted by everyone from overseas governors to people my wife met in bathrooms on a night out. So what I'm saying is we should get along fine with or fellow sea-goers. But will they get along with us?!? From what I've read this is likely to be a top-heavy elderly population with a fair bit of snobbery (I read one review from 2011 by a woman who was re-seated 6 times in one sitting because the other diners were wearing polyester). My wife has tattoos and I have longish hair and a beard. We scrub up well and will spend everyday working out as we take pride in our appearance and health. On our usual holidays this is fine but I'm getting the vibe that people will outright judge us on this trip! If anyone has any thoughts that would be marvellous.

Also there are questions about the gym and fitness classes. Is this included in the price? My Voage Personaliser contradicts itself.

Also we have been asked to specify how many people we wish to dine with. Some nights we may wish to be just together and some nights we may wish to dive in with strangers. Or as we usually find, we make friends early in and stay with a couple (or more) for the duration. How flexible is this?

The dress code is confusing. We will absolutely adhere to it but I'm confused about the day times. Are we ok to go to the gym in our gym gear or do we need to change once there? Same with swimwear. Can my wife wear swimwear straight to the pool or deck with a coverup? Are thong bikinis acceptable? They always are in our usual holidays but I'm guessing this is different! What are people's experiences?

Any experiences on the kennels is also welcome. How do the dogs like it? How wa drive process of checking them in/out?

If there are any younger folks (or older) who sound like they'd get on with us who travel Westbound from Southampton on 4th August, get in touch!!!

As I say, this isn't a holiday. It's a cheaper way of getting our dog to our new home in the US with the added bonus of a relaxing time on a beausyul ocean liner. We just need to know some ins and outs. We'd like to get it right for the sake of those having this as a holiday!

Thanks in advance!!!

You should thoroughly enjoy your crossing.

Dress code up till 6pm is very relaxed. Shorts/Polo etc see ask Cunard for further details

Jacket Required evenings except when in Kings Court whilst dining but can be discarded late evening in the bars..

Most of your questions will be answered here

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/search?nlpq=Dress+code

Gym equipment is free when open, but classes they charge extra to your on board account, also spin bikes can only be used during the classes and chargeable.

Going to Gym in gym gear no problem, going to Pools would advise cover up or dressing gown.

Don't speak doggy so cant answer re how the dogs find the Kennels but have seen many repeat passengers and their dogs on board so they must be fine.

Have seen a few thong bikinis around the pools and Hot tubs.

If travelling Britannia class

In the Britannia Restaurant you will get allocated a Dining Table and time of sitting, depending on your request for Table size made on Voyage Personaliser for the duration. Speak to the maitr d' if you find it unsuitable.

Dress code up till 6pm is very relaxed.

Yes you may find one or two pompous travellers but most on board are their just to have a good time like your selves.

When you get on bard QM2 you will wonder if some of the reports you read on here refer to the same ship.

pepperrn, one of the regular travellers and posters here has posted many excellent photos of QM2 and others which you will find here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/sets/

Edited by Pennbank

Welcome to the Cunard board, there is lots of information here so hopefully you can find answers to your questions.

Cunard has fixed dining, same time and same people every night in the main dining room. If that doesn't suit you, there is the buffet, alternative (extra charge) or room service.

Good grief with a CV like yours l would be begging to sit at your table, would be bending your ears for some tips for travel in Eastern Europe for starters.

Sailing in August tends to be a time when there are far more younger people on board for example many young families, the "elderly population" as you put it often enjoy the company of the younger generations anyway and a few really know how to party, you will fit right in l am sure. Snobbery exists on the cosy anonymous world of message boards but isn't so prevalent or obvious on board in real life.

M-AR

Good grief with a CV like yours l would be begging to sit at your table, would be bending your ears for some tips for travel in Eastern Europe for starters.

M-AR

Haha. It probably isn't as exciting as it sounds! In my short time on this forum I've already noted the pompous braggers who are clearly very ordinary people who like to boast of who they know and how this leads to upgrades and the lavishing of high regard from Cunard! My comments weren't written from the same mould. I was simply painting a picture of how we feel comfortable in any social sphere with anyone! And also how we've experienced hotel rooms bigger than some peoples' apartments to sleeping on strangers' floors. Both of which have been excellent choices! If you want any pointers on travel in Europe then feel free to ask!

If you haven't already secured a reservation for your dog do so ASAP. Kennel space was increased last year but at least before then it would sell out up to a year in advance.

Thanks. He's all booked up. They'd better be feeding him gold plated kibble at $800 a kennel! But as stated, it's cheaper than flying him!

...Snobbery exists on the cosy anonymous world of message boards but isn't so prevalent or obvious on board in real life.

M-AR

I was going to say the same. I have been a member of this board for a long time. Over the years there have been criticisms levelled at other people such as men who wear pre-tied bow ties, men who wear wing-collared shirts with a dinner jacket, people who do not drink wine with their meals, people who prefer to go to bed early - and on and on. Pay no attention to this. You will not experience this on board Cunard. I have been fortunate to have dined in all main restaurants on the QM2 and have always had pleasant companions.

You are going to have to request your Brittania dinner table size for the entire cruise , can't change night to night.

For an August sailing you should encounter a younger batch of guests onboard for sure.

Up until 6pm virtually anything goes as far as dress onboard.

We are on the same crossing. We did the Westbound after a road trip holiday in New England in 2015 with our teenagers (then 14 and 16) and then did Christmas in Caribbean with my parents the same year. We are doing eastbound and then a few days in NY and my parents are doing the round trip.

We love QM2. Yes it is a bit more formal in the evening but we don't find it stuffy just not in your face forced entertainment and loud music. There is so much to do - we love pub quizzes (of which there are about 4 per day), I go to water colour classes, there are interesting guest speakers. As others have said in August there are more younger people on board.

Oh and we love to go up to the top deck to see the owners visiting their dogs (all of whom look to be very well cared for).

The food is great esp afternoon tea.

Happy to meet for a drink.

Chris

Thanks for all replies. All very helpful.

We've changed our table to 8 and we're hoping for some great company!

HelloKitty'sMum I'm on our role call so I'm sure we'll be in touch on that!

Thanks again.

Any more answers, opinions or advice will be gratefully received!

Partial quote

Can my wife wear swimwear straight to the pool or deck with a coverup? Are thong bikinis acceptable? They always are in our usual holidays but I'm guessing this is different! What are people's experiences?

quote]

You and your wife can wear swimwear straight to the pool with a coverup. Certainly you can both wear thong bikinis at the pool. Some might see as a bit cheeky, but if that's what you're comfortable swimming in, let the sun shine in ! :)

Personally I think what is acceptable on a public beach is far different that what is appropriate around a pool on cruise ship. Some attire is in poor taste and I'm surprised that an educated person would think this is acceptable.

Partial quote

You and your wife can wear swimwear straight to the pool with a coverup. Certainly you can both wear thong bikinis at the pool. Some might see as a bit cheeky, but if that's what you're comfortable swimming in, let the sun shine in ! :)

Just to clarify that I don't wear thongs. Or bikinis! But thanks for the reply!

Partial quote

Just to clarify that I don't wear thongs. Or bikinis! But thanks for the reply!

You're welcome. So why did you ask " Are thong bikinis acceptable? They always are in our usual holidays but I'm guessing this is different! What are people's experiences?"

Are worried that you will be confronted with passengers wearing thong bikinis on Cunard ships, because I don't think you need to be concerned about that. However, here have been some comments regarding Speedo wearing men exiting the pool sans coverup. :)

Since you are emigrating I do not think you will just "walk of" in the same manner as normal cruiser passengers

It is some years since I was an "emigrant" however I think you may be given a large sealed envelope by the Embassy in London which will have to be given to a "special" immigration official as you leave the ship- not just stand in line and show your passport as other passengers do.

You will be given your "green card" by the special officer, He should already have it waiting for you.

I hope there are others who have "emigrated " via Cunard who can assist you.

There are a number of regulations you will need to attend to as you start your new lives. Do you have a job for instance (no I am not being nosy, ) just reminding you that you will need to comply with the :red tape" concerning buying a car, getting a driving license in the state you are going to live in. INSURING the car etc Paying US taxes ( called "withholding" )

It is important to set up a bank account ASAP, once you are in your new home town.

You may be tempted to "wait a while" but getting organized ASAP, is very important if you do not wish to be on the wrong end of some petty official.

Locating your luggage at Red Hook will not be easy (it is always a mad house - not Cunards fault , it just is), and you will have your dog to deal with as well - better have a big bottle of asprin handy!!!!!!

My very best wishes for your new life, in spite of all the years I have been here, I still drink TEA. Yesterday I had a very stressful morning , went into a café I often use here in town, sat down thankfully, and said to the young waitress, " Please bring me a pot of tea, before I make my lunch order" off she went came back with a glass of ICED TEA. my daughter who has been here over 25 years , LAUGHED and LAUGHED Heartless creature.

Lynn

Thanks for the concen Lynn. All paperwork has been completed by the embassy and we will join the appropriate line and go from there! All the other details about living and banks etc are all in hand! I don't let the grass grow under my feet!

Some attire is in poor taste and I'm surprised that an educated person would think this is acceptable.

As you put it, it's a matter of taste. One man's poor taste is another man's preference. And I can assure you we're both very well educated and successful people. We take pride in both our education and our professional achievements. If that surprises you then maybe the world is moving on faster than you're prepared to accept.