Dramamine and Alcohol...

JES11583

On one of my last cruises, someone in my group needed some dramamine and I remember something about not mixing it with Alcohol..

Can you mix the two?? Also, is dramamine drowsy???

2 of my friends who have never cruised before are going, so I just want to be prepared. Thanks! hehe

On one of my last cruises, someone in my group needed some dramamine and I remember something about not mixing it with Alcohol..

2 of my friends who have never cruised before are going, so I just want to be prepared. Thanks! hehe

Dramamine II and Bonine are considered to be "less drowsy" than Dramamine, but the directions advise not to drink while taking either product.

Try ginger if you want to have a few. Personally they knock me right out.

hmm.. that kinda stinks.. hopefully no one gets sea sick or anything.. but if they do, I am sure the last thing theyll be thinking about is drinking. But i was thinking in regards of taking it before possibly getting sick (may or may not even get sick), but then you still cant drink if youve taken it... hmmm..

hmm.. that kinda stinks.. hopefully no one gets sea sick or anything.. but if they do, I am sure the last thing theyll be thinking about is drinking. But i was thinking in regards of taking it before possibly getting sick (may or may not even get sick), but then you still cant drink if youve taken it... hmmm..

Bonine works best if you take it before you even get on the ship. Take one 24 hours prior to embarking then one each day. DW did that last time and she drank while taking them...although we are not heavy drinkers...not saying that to judge anyone just relaying our experiences, hope that helps...;)

I googled alcohol and bonine and this is what I found:

Bonine (meclizine) side effects

Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.

Less serious side effects may include:

blurred vision; dry mouth; constipation; or dizziness, drowsiness.

This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect.

Basically it says to avoid alcohol because it might increase these side effects...don't know if that helps but I would venture a guess that if they do not experience any side effects, they should be able to drink.

I drink while taking Bonine/Less Drowsy Dramamine and have no side effects at all. Otherwise I can't cruise and drink because I get motion sick. I do try to take more ginger and less Bonine. Regular Dramamine will make you sleepy and when combined with alcohol can make it worse. There's no medical reason or drug interaction when combining alcohol and those sea sickness meds. Bonine may intensify the effects of alcohol but it's not dangerous per se.

Dramamine II and Bonine are both name brands for generic Meclizine 25mg, (which is much cheaper than buying the name brands). I get terrible motion sickness, sometimes I have to take 3 a day. One in the a.m, one right before dinner (which is when I tend to get sick) and one before bed. I drink (sometimes quite a few :o ) while on it and have never had any side effects. I cant even tell I am on the Meclizine except I dont get sick :p Now the Dramamine...I am practically comatose if I take that stuff. I may as well skip the cruise because I would sleep right thru it.

Of course, I am not promoting doing this. Have your friends talk to the Dr or Pharmacist if they feel its needed.

If you take the Bonine/Dramamine at bedtime you won't feel any affects of it with a couple of drinks....and then its ok if you get drowsy from the medication. It worked great for me on our last cruise. I couldn't believe I never thought to take it everyday at bedtime.

If you have a Trader Joe's, get a bag of Ginger Chews (made by The Ginger People) for $1.69. They work amazingly well, they were recommended by my doctor over the antihistimines used for motion sickness, and work just as well as most prescriptions for nausea and vertigo.

I would be very cautious mixing any of the antihistimines (Dramamine or Bonine) with alcohol. You might feel fine, but once you go to sleep, your respiratory function can be compromised.

Hi

I also take bonine every day at bedtime, I start the night before we fly out (I get air sick too:mad:). I drink a cocktail in the pm and a glass or two of wine at supper and everything has been fine. I also take ginger at breakfast and supper each day, this I start a week before the cruise.

This has been a real life saver as I even get motion sick from floating in my pool !!!:eek:

I would not recommend it. Granted my dear husband took the drowsy kind on the 2nd night of our honeymoon, he spent a good 2 hours with him passed out after our dinner mates shared their champagne with us:o

If you have a Trader Joe's, get a bag of Ginger Chews (made by The Ginger People) for $1.69. They work amazingly well, they were recommended by my doctor over the antihistimines used for motion sickness, and work just as well as most prescriptions for nausea and vertigo.

I would be very cautious mixing any of the antihistimines (Dramamine or Bonine) with alcohol. You might feel fine, but once you go to sleep, your respiratory function can be compromised.

Do you know that for a fact or are you thinking of alcohol mixed with other meds such as valium? All the drug facts I could find said it ONLY enhances the effect of alcohol, that's it, nothing else. Nowhere did it say your "respiratory function" could be compromised.

Dramamine II and Bonine are both name brands for generic Meclizine 25mg, (which is much cheaper than buying the name brands). I get terrible motion sickness, sometimes I have to take 3 a day. One in the a.m, one right before dinner (which is when I tend to get sick) and one before bed. I drink (sometimes quite a few :o ) while on it and have never had any side effects. I cant even tell I am on the Meclizine except I dont get sick :p Now the Dramamine...I am practically comatose if I take that stuff. I may as well skip the cruise because I would sleep right thru it.

Of course, I am not promoting doing this. Have your friends talk to the Dr or Pharmacist if they feel its needed.

Can I ask where you find the generic Meclizine?

Do you know that for a fact or are you thinking of alcohol mixed with other meds such as valium? All the drug facts I could find said it ONLY enhances the effect of alcohol, that's it, nothing else. Nowhere did it say your "respiratory function" could be compromised.

I wish I had some valium lol

It can happen in people with asthma, COPD, irregular heartbeat, low blood pressure and other medical conditions (sometimes unknown). If you look up the generic names for these drugs online, they give more info. and a pharmacist can give a person an entire sheet of info.

I just said to be cautious with combining them with alcohol. The amount of alcohol could make a big difference. Also, many people try a drug like this for the first time on a ship without knowing how they might react to it.

Can I ask where you find the generic Meclizine?

Just ask your pharmacist, it seems around here they keep it behind the counter. I think a 100ct bottle was around $10. Much cheaper than the name brand.

They also give it out at the Purser's desk for free.

I wish I had some valium lol

It can happen in people with asthma, COPD, irregular heartbeat, low blood pressure and other medical conditions (sometimes unknown). If you look up the generic names for these drugs online, they give more info. and a pharmacist can give a person an entire sheet of info.

I just said to be cautious with combining them with alcohol. The amount of alcohol could make a big difference. Also, many people try a drug like this for the first time on a ship without knowing how they might react to it.

LOL, I can't begin to drink at the level I did in college, so, not a problem for me. Generally though, Meclizine is pretty benign for most people. If everyone taking sea sick meds didnt' drink, the cruiselines would lose millions.;)

Can you only get the Ginger Capsules at Natural Food places? I'd like to pick some up and MAKE my hubby take them.....I don't really get motion sickness at all but he does if the seas are real rough and he got sick last time we went snorkeling???? I don't think I could get him to eat the Ginger candy all day long but I might be able to force a couple of Ginger Capsules/Tablets down him in the mornings and evenings?

I drink while taking Bonine/Less Drowsy Dramamine and have no side effects at all. Otherwise I can't cruise and drink because I get motion sick. I do try to take more ginger and less Bonine. Regular Dramamine will make you sleepy and when combined with alcohol can make it worse. There's no medical reason or drug interaction when combining alcohol and those sea sickness meds. Bonine may intensify the effects of alcohol but it's not dangerous per se.

mixing alchol with any drug can have some adverse affects..a question

best answered by you pharmacist..

Looks like there are some differences of opinion. The bottom line is that a cruising forum is no place to seek individual medical advice. I would definitely talk to your doctor and heed his/her advice in this matter. Nobody else can say what is right for you given your particular medical history (whatever that may be).

Can you only get the Ginger Capsules at Natural Food places? I'd like to pick some up and MAKE my hubby take them.....I don't really get motion sickness at all but he does if the seas are real rough and he got sick last time we went snorkeling???? I don't think I could get him to eat the Ginger candy all day long but I might be able to force a couple of Ginger Capsules/Tablets down him in the mornings and evenings?

I got mine at Walgreen's, but save your gas and call around. The tablets are really easy to take and are concentrated. They have worked for my family.

I take Bonnie on each of my cruises and also have a few drinks and have never had an issue. When I first started cruising a took a whole Bonnie in the morning with breakfast. On the last couple of cruises I found that if I took 1/2 of a Bonnie at breakfast and half at bedtime it worked the best for me.

I got my ginger at Walmart. For all you Canadians out there, they sell ginger tablets in our Walmart too but for close to 20$ for 100. You can get the exact same in US for about 3$.

Happy cruising

Tell your friends there is a possibility they may experience motion sickness. They will then be free to explore various options available to them and decide what the best route would be... for them.

Maybe one of them has an intolerance to certain medications that you don't know about. It can be lethal to mix certain drugs and alcohol. The only people qualified to advise you properly on the matter would be a physician or pharmacist.

• 2 years later...

We took our motion sickness medicine three hours before boarding. My friend took a chewable Bonine, and said it tasted horrible, so I swallowed one Dramamine Less-Drowsy. The active ingredient was the same in each. Both said that the usual dosage was 1-2 pills. We each took one pill. We were only on a one-night cruise, so I can't give long term advice, but we each had about six drinks, and found no adverse effects. We had one tiny cup of coffee around 8 pm. We didn't feel sleepy at all, until a little bit around midnight, at which time we took a short nap, and around 2 am, at which time we went to bed. We would have been sleepy at those times anyway, so I would not hesitate to take Dramamine Less-Drowsy again.

Archived