Rosyth to Edinburgh

I was wondering how long it will take to get from the port to Downtown Edinburgh by train. We will be in Rosyth in August and we have tickets to the Military Tattoo (on our own). I was wondering if we would have time to get into Edinburgh early and return to the ship to rest up/eat for 1 1/2 - 2 hrs and then head back for the show (starts at 9:00PM). It all depends on how long it will take us to commute. I am also wondering how late the trains from Edinburgh to Rosyth run. Thanks.

I was wondering how long it will take to get from the port to Downtown Edinburgh by train. We will be in Rosyth in August and we have tickets to the Military Tattoo (on our own). I was wondering if we would have time to get into Edinburgh early and return to the ship to rest up/eat for 1 1/2 - 2 hrs and then head back for the skhow (starts at 9:00PM). It all depends on how long it will take us to commute. I am also wondering how late the trains from Edinburgh to Rosyth run. Thanks.

hi the nearest train to the port of Rosyth is Inverkeithing, you can get a bus to the station and then the train, the whole journey taking an hour roughly. The problem is getting back after the late show at the tattoo, the last train may be too early. And I think you won't get a bus from the station after midnight even if there were a train. It takes a good long while to get out of the tattoo due to the crowds. Traveline Scotland will be able to provide exact journey details using their journey planner. www.travelinescotland.com

Cheers Roberta

Some trains are quicker than others, for example the intercity from Aberdeen has much fewer stops to Waverley so does the journey in half the time.

A taxi from Inverkeithing to Rosyth doesn't take very long but sometimes there are none on the rank when you arrive

Personally speaking I'd recommend not trying to go back to the ship. It's going to take up a lot of time and there is just so much to see and do in Edinburgh, particularly during the Festival.

I live near Rosyth and it would certainly be possible to get back from Edinburgh to rest and have a bite to eat before heading off to the tattoo. Although I agree there is a lot to see in Edinburgh, it is tiring and you'll probably head off early in the morning so if I were you I'd probably want a break early evening.

You can access the train timetables on this website - www.nationalrail.co.uk.

You'd need to get a taxi from the ship to the station and vice-versa but there are always taxis at Inverkeithing IMO. If you were worried, sure I could help with phone number of local taxi company.

I got the train back after being at the tattoo last year and there is one at 11.19 which we made easily, as well as a couple before that you could also catch if you get away quickly from the castle.

There are also buses which stop not far from the cruise terminal, but you'd definitely need to book a taxi to meet you there as taxis don't usually meet the buses. Happy to give you more info about that if you want.

Thank you all for the info. Tartanexile81, any info you can give me, including phone 3's for taxis, would be much appreciated. We will be seeing the Tattoo at 9:00PM. How long is the show and how far a walk is the train station? It would be terrifying to miss the last train back to port! I would have booked through the ship but my tickets cost about $60 a piece as compared to the $199 a person through the ship. At the time I purchased the tickets I felt confident that I would be able to find fellow passengers who were also attending the Tattoo independently and would be interested in splitting the cost of a private taxi but even though I have posted on roll calls, I have had no luck.

I live near Rosyth and it would certainly be possible to get back from Edinburgh to rest and have a bite to eat before heading off to the tattoo. Although I agree there is a lot to see in Edinburgh, it is tiring and you'll probably head off early in the morning so if I were you I'd probably want a break early evening.

You'd need to get a taxi from the ship to the station and vice-versa but there are always taxis at Inverkeithing IMO. If you were worried, sure I could help with phone number of local taxi company.

I got the train back after being at the tattoo last year and there is one at 11.19 which we made easily, as well as a couple before that you could also catch if you get away quickly from the castle.

There are also buses which stop not far from the cruise terminal, but you'd definitely need to book a taxi to meet you there as taxis don't usually meet the buses. Happy to give you more info about that if you want.

Thank you all for the info. Tartanexile81, any info you can give me, including phone 3's for taxis, would be much appreciated. We will be seeing the Tattoo at 9:00PM. How long is the show and how far a walk is the train station? It would be terrifying to miss the last train back to port! I would have booked through the ship but my tickets cost about $60 a piece as compared to the $199 a person through the ship. At the time I purchased the tickets I felt confident that I would be able to find fellow passengers who were also attending the Tattoo independently and would be interested in splitting the cost of a private taxi but even though I have posted on roll calls, I have had no luck.

Janice

I use these taxis regularly and both companies have always been reliable - 00441383840555 or 00441383623999. (have included GB code)

The tattoo ends at 10:30 approx and it's roughly a 15 minute walk to the station, all downhill! I'd recommend walking down the Royal Mile, over the traffic lights and past St Giles Cathedral till you come to Cockburn Street. Turn left into Cockburn Street, follow it down to the bottom and you'll see the station right in front of you. If you look at google maps, it should all make sense.

We felt the same as you last year so left as the Massed Pipes and Drums was concluding and got out before the huge crush. We saw the parade going down the Royal Mile then got to the station in plenty of time. You should catch the 11:19 without any problem, and should get off at Inverkeithing, although the train will be going on to Glenrothes. These trains usually leave from Platform 17 or 18 at night. Shame about the roll call, but you never know you could meet someone aboard interested in sharing a taxi.

One last thing, I'd suggest you wear warm, waterproof clothing as the stands are entirely in the open air. Have a great time.

• 4 years later...

I realize this thread is old, but I'm hoping the information is still accurate?

Will there be taxis at Inverkeithing station around 10pm? I'm worried that once we make it back there, there won't be any taxis waiting. If the 7:30pm show ends by about 8:40pm, I'm figuring we'd make it to the train station by 9:30pm or so, take the train and be back at station around 10:30. Does that sound right?

We regularly get a taxi from Inverkeithing and we have always found lots of taxis waiting there, particularly when trains from Edinburgh come in so wouldn't think you'd have any trouble at all, even till late. There are taxis all night in this area.

However when you say show do you mean the tattoo? If so the 7:30 show won't end before 9:10 p.m. and often over-runs slightly. It will take you a time to get out of the arena and the streets will be congested. The trains after that would be 9:50, 10:08, 10:37, 11:09, 11:20.

We regularly get a taxi from Inverkeithing and we have always found lots of taxis waiting there, particularly when trains from Edinburgh come in so wouldn't think you'd have any trouble at all, even till late. There are taxis all night in this area.

However when you say show do you mean the tattoo? If so the 7:30 show won't end before 9:10 p.m. and often over-runs slightly. It will take you a time to get out of the arena and the streets will be congested. The trains after that would be 9:50, 10:08, 10:37, 11:09, 11:20.

Thank you so much for that info. about the taxis! Really makes me feel less worried!

You're right about the Tattoo ending time - my mistake. Hopefully, we can make the 10:08 train back to Inverkeithing. Thanks again - the info. really helped! :)

I found there was basic info on how to get from the port of Rosyth to Edinburth on the port website: http://www.cruiseforth.com/content/ship/278-viking-sea/

If that link takes you to the wrong page for you, try taking off the 278-viking-sea/ to get to the part of cruiseforth.com that you need. I was using that link to look up where our ship would dock (S Queensferry, Leith, Rosyth, etc.)

I volunteer with Cruiseforth and this is a link to our website where all cruisers can find out info about where the ships dock and lots of other useful info.

http://www.cruiseforth.com

You will find volunteers on the piers in Rosyth, Queensferry, Leith and Newhaven and often on ships. We wear a purple jacket and our services are absolutely free.

• 1 month later...

I know this post is old, but I have already reserved a taxi for the 8 of us FROM the Tattoo, to the cruise terminal. (And thank you tartanexile81 for the list of taxi companies!) I am considering going back to the ship to rest and for dinner and then returning to Edinburgh for the Tattoo via taxi. My question is: how much ahead of time should be plan to arrive in Edinburgh before the Tattoo? We are there on a Thursday night, 9pm show. So should we plan to be there by 8:00? 8:15?

We were at the Tattoo in Aug 2016. It is AMAZING. You will line (queue) up (line starts behind the Castle and works its way uphill to the Royal Mile you'll see signs) and will need to go thru security but they are so well organized the line keeps moving. We joined the line about 1 hour before the show started and were in our seats in plenty of time for the pre-program announcements, etc. We stayed to the very end and were happy we did. You get to see everyone who participated including many who were behind the scenes. Enjoy!

We were at the Tattoo in Aug 2016. It is AMAZING. You will line (queue) up (line starts behind the Castle and works its way uphill to the Royal Mile you'll see signs) and will need to go thru security but they are so well organized the line keeps moving. We joined the line about 1 hour before the show started and were in our seats in plenty of time for the pre-program announcements, etc. We stayed to the very end and were happy we did. You get to see everyone who participated including many who were behind the scenes. Enjoy!

I was guessing about one hour - thanks!