Booking Dilemma

ONEifBySEA

Hi Everyone! I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do with an NCL cruise I have scheduled for September. When I made the plans I was single and planning to travel alone, so I booked one of their studio cabins. Now I've gotten back together with my boyfriend and he has expressed interest in going with me. Sounds great, but I don't think we're stable enough right now to make plans this far in advance. We are in a long distance relationship (we actually met on a cruise about a year ago haha) so there's always a level of uncertainty.

My final payment isn't due until mid June so I have time to figure this out. I'm just trying to consider all my options since I was really looking forward to this trip and don't want to cancel it. I thought about booking another stateroom with just my name and then possibly adding him later. So I would have two rooms on hold and then make a decision when final payment is due. But let's say that we're still together in June and he decides to come with me. I cancel the studio and keep the other room with my name only. And then we break up before the cruise (I have a lot of faith in us right? Lol). Now I'm stuck paying for double occupancy. The other option would be to just cancel the trip altogether and then wait until July/August to book. What is the likelihood that the Norwegian Escape would have staterooms available this close to sailing? I jumped the gun and have already purchased my airfare, so I can't be flexible with the dates. I could go on another cruise leaving from Miami, but I really have my heart set on this ship.

The main issue with canceling and booking later is that all of the studio rooms will be taken. That's why I've had to book so far in advance. If I knew that I'd be able to get a studio in July or August, I'd just cancel and rebook.

Any thoughts? :confused:

Only you know the actual state of your own relationship. Planning for the future is part of being in one.

No one can predict what will happen, so my advice would be to talk it over with him. If you can't do that, maybe you will have your answer.

If he wants to go, have him book the stateroom, but you keep your solo. If things fall apart, he can cancel and you'll still have your solo.

I like this idea but I'd rather avoid either of us losing money. I guess it would depend on the cancellation fee.

Only you know the actual state of your own relationship. Planning for the future is part of being in one.

No one can predict what will happen, so my advice would be to talk it over with him. If you can't do that, maybe you will have your answer.

I agree. I plan to talk it over with him when it's time to make the final payment. I'll have a better idea of where we are then. I guess I'm just hesitant to make vacation plans with another person since I've had other trips fall through. My best friend of 10+ years and I had a falling out 6 weeks before our trip to Mexico. Ended up losing about $500 and a great friend/travel companion that time.

Edited by ONEifBySEA
left out a few words

'expressed interest' - see if he backs it up with cold hard cash and a booking.

This......Another thing..even if you're still together in June for final payment and decide to book a cabin together Sept is a long way away for an "iffy" relationship. I think I'd just cruise solo as planned and see him when I get back.

Cancel your solo cabin and book a double. Pay up front rather than waiting for final payment. If your boyfriend backs out you have a double to your self and the boyfriend losses his part of the fare. It's a win win for your and a to bad so sad for him. If your boyfriend backs out don't call and cancel, just have him be a no show and your safe.

You said the relationship is not stable enough to make plans. Live your life independently and go and enjoy the cruise you have already booked. If he is seriously interested in meeting you on the cruise, let him make his own arrangements and booking.

Cancel your solo cabin and book a double. Pay up front rather than waiting for final payment. If your boyfriend backs out you have a double to your self and the boyfriend losses his part of the fare. It's a win win for your and a to bad so sad for him. If your boyfriend backs out don't call and cancel, just have him be a no show and your safe.

This would only work if the boyfriend reimburses her ahead of time for his part of the fare. Considering he has only "expressed interest", she would be gambling that he will step up and pay his half. From the sound of things, it is better to let him book. As SteveH2508 mentioned, let him put his money where his mouth is.

This would only work if the boyfriend reimburses her ahead of time for his part of the fare. Considering he has only "expressed interest", she would be gambling that he will step up and pay his half. From the sound of things, it is better to let him book. As SteveH2508 mentioned, let him put his money where his mouth is.

Or worse, they book a cabin together and break up and he insists on going since he has already paid for the cabin.

My suggestion - keep your cabin and tell him the truth. That you have been looking forward to this cruise, alone. You need to re-generate yourself and have some personal down time. If your relationship isn't solid enough for you to be apart for a few days, well then..... It is also a trust thing. Can your relationship withstand you being apart with no jealousy or bad feelings. Let's face it. This isn't about taking a cruise. It is about you, him and "us".

Even after my DH and I had been married for quite a few years I would still have girlfriend weekends that sometimes included some male friends. He knew the friends, he knew the guys and most importantly he knew he could trust me. Even my DD started joining in on the weekends. We all slept in one room. Everyone took up bed space, floor space, balcony space. Who says you can't get 10 adults in one hotel room with two double beds LOL. Do NOT go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and expect to find the same space available when you get back. We have been married for over 40 years and trust is a huge issue in any relationship (as is manners). If you don't have it now you never will.

You said the relationship is not stable enough to make plans. Live your life independently and go and enjoy the cruise you have already booked. If he is seriously interested in meeting you on the cruise, let him make his own arrangements and booking.

Best advice yet: you do not want to risk a hassle about who pays what if a shared cabin has to be dropped because of another breakup. If things do hold up (which OP seems to doubt) she will have the choice each day of what cabin to share. It is a bit more expensive than best possibility, but it is a realistic approach which she has already decided she can afford.

Even after my DH and I had been married for quite a few years I would still have girlfriend weekends that sometimes included some male friends.

Who says you can't get 10 adults in one hotel room with two double beds LOL. Do NOT go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and expect to find the same space available when you get back. We have been married for over 40 years and trust is a huge issue in any relationship (as is manners). If you don't have it now you never will.

YUCK!!!!!!!!!

Married 40 years means probably now in your 60's. I did some hotel room sharing when in college and on a low budget Thanksgiving break at the Roosevelt Hotel in New York -

but that sort of crap now? No thanks!