Solo Cabins

escade

Hello there - I am Essie from Palm Coast, Florida - a senior widow who loves to travel. I heard there were some ships with solo cabins. If you know which ones have them, please let me know as I have been paying double room rates.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! Certain ships on RCI have them (Quantum class) and I believe some on NCL as well. But while you will not pay the typical fare of up to the full double occupancy rates less one taxes and port fees charges, you will still pay a premium over the individual fares with standard double occupancy rooms. And the staterooms are typically smaller. But as a solo cruiser the stateroom size should not be an issue when combined with the lower fares.

You could also check with a TA for information on other lines that may offer this as well and for best fares. Good luck and enjoy your future cruises.

The newer NCL ships have Studio cabins ...the Epic, Breakaway, Getaway, and Escape....

These are all Inside small cabins designed for solo occupancy.

Your room key also gets you into the exclusive Studio Lounge, at all times, where you can get snacks and drinks, and socialize with fellow solo cruiser's. It is open from around 5 to 6 PM to all solo cruiser's on the ship for a hosted social hour.

In addition, as mentioned RCI and other's are now adding some single occupancy cabins to their newbuilds...

Cunard has some, as does P&O, and a few others here and there.

Also as mentioned, the solo cabins are more costly, than one half of a double occupancy cabin...

Some ships, if bookings are slow, may even offer standard inside cabins for two, with a lowered, or even no single supplement, which could bring those cabins lower in cost than the solo cabins...

I took advantage of that on my January cruise on the NCL Breakaway....I booked a guarantee inside at the last minute (ten days before sailing), and ended up with a nice midship balcony all to myself, for less than the cost of a Studio...:cool:

Hello there - I am Essie from Palm Coast, Florida - a senior widow who loves to travel. I heard there were some ships with solo cabins. If you know which ones have them, please let me know as I have been paying double room rates.

Essie - you want to check out thus forum - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=373

Pricing solo cruising is tricky. You can't get hung up on concept of paying double - it's the final price that counts. I sail RCL and their newest ships Anthem, Harmony, and soon to be Symphony between them offer a variety of real solo cabins- inside, oceanview, and balcony. They book up very fast, so if you see something, put down a deposit immediately. On each of the Radiance Class ships, 3 solo inside cabins were added in recent years. I've never sailed in one of them because they are consistently priced higher than booking a regular inside cabin at double. You might get lucky after final payment, but there are no guarantees that will happen.

IMO a good strategy is to book as early as possible (right now is a good time for RCL for 2018) and watch prices. Up until final payment you can take advantage of any price drops.

The new Celebrity Edge ships are to have some 16 balcony single cabins.

Up until just recently, single cabins were, as mentioned, interior closets.

I sail solo most of the time, and always get a balcony. Looking forward to the possibility of paying something less than 200%. I am D+ and E+, so no longer chasing those double points, as I assume these single cabins do not give double points.

Essie,

No need to pay double room rates. There are many, many ships out there that offer single cabins or no supplement for single cruisers. Here is a list of many of the ocean going and river ships that offer single cabins. From what I understand, the secret is booking them well in advance. Hope you have many wonderful cruises in your future!:

NCL

Escape

Breakaway

Getaway

Epic

Pride of America

Ponant (all ships)

HAL

Konigsdam

Prisindam

RCCL

Quantum

Ovation

Anthem

American Queen Steamboat company:

American Queen (2)

Silversea (all ships) charge as low as 110% to 125%

Cunard:

Queen Victoria (9)

Queen Mary (15)

Queen Elizabeth (9)

Costa:

Costa Diadema (21 cabins),

Costa Fascinosa (17),

Costa Favolosa (17),

Costa Pacifica (17),

Costa Serena (17),

Costa Magica (14),

Costa Fortuna (14),

Costa neoRomantica (6)

Costa neoClassica (6)

Vantage River cruises:

MS River Splendor,

MS River Voyager,

MS River Discovery II

MS River Venture,

Viking River Cruises

Viking Prestige

Viking Legend

AmaWaterways

AmaVerde

AmaBella

AmaLyra

AmaDolce

AmaDante

AmaCello

P&O: all ships

Azura,

Arcadia,

Aurora,

Britannia,

Oriana

Ventura.

Fred Olsen: all ships offer single cabins.

Braemar

Black Watch

Boudicca

Balmoral.

In addition, these river cruises all offer solo cabins:

Grand Circle Cruise line

Tauck

Avalon Waterways

Uniworld

I just want to point out that river cruises are especially great for solo travelers as you are on a relatively small boat with maybe 200 or less guests and all the tours are included, in most cases, so you will have lots of time to meet fellow guests on tours, during meals and entertainment on the river cruise. Wine and beer is also included with dinner making the price of these cruises almost all-inclusive.

Essie,

No need to pay double room rates. There are many, many ships out there that offer single cabins or no supplement for single cruisers. Here is a list of many of the ocean going and river ships that offer single cabins. From what I understand, the secret is booking them well in advance. Hope you have many wonderful cruises in your future!:

NCL

Escape

Breakaway

Getaway

Epic

Pride of America

Ponant (all ships)

HAL

Konigsdam

Prisindam

RCCL

Quantum

Ovation

Anthem

American Queen Steamboat company:

American Queen (2)

Silversea (all ships) charge as low as 110% to 125%

Cunard:

Queen Victoria (9)

Queen Mary (15)

Queen Elizabeth (9)

Costa:

Costa Diadema (21 cabins),

Costa Fascinosa (17),

Costa Favolosa (17),

Costa Pacifica (17),

Costa Serena (17),

Costa Magica (14),

Costa Fortuna (14),

Costa neoRomantica (6)

Costa neoClassica (6)

Vantage River cruises:

MS River Splendor,

MS River Voyager,

MS River Discovery II

MS River Venture,

Viking River Cruises

Viking Prestige

Viking Legend

AmaWaterways

AmaVerde

AmaBella

AmaLyra

AmaDolce

AmaDante

AmaCello

P&O: all ships

Azura,

Arcadia,

Aurora,

Britannia,

Oriana

Ventura.

Fred Olsen: all ships offer single cabins.

Braemar

Black Watch

Boudicca

Balmoral.

In addition, these river cruises all offer solo cabins:

Grand Circle Cruise line

Tauck

Avalon Waterways

Uniworld

I just want to point out that river cruises are especially great for solo travelers as you are on a relatively small boat with maybe 200 or less guests and all the tours are included, in most cases, so you will have lots of time to meet fellow guests on tours, during meals and entertainment on the river cruise. Wine and beer is also included with dinner making the price of these cruises almost all-inclusive.

Wow! Great info!

On several Holland America cruises, I've been able to book an inside or outside cabin at below 200%. It depends on the itinerary and length of cruise. Single cabins are sometimes priced higher than a regular cabin at the solo rate

Regarding Holland America Line, at one time they offered to match up same sex solo travelers to share a cabin....if they couldn't find you a cabin mate, you would get the cabin for half the twin occupancy rate...

Not sure if they still have that or not....

And not sure if I would 'take a chance' rooming with a total stranger....

Regarding Holland America Line, at one time they offered to match up same sex solo travelers to share a cabin....if they couldn't find you a cabin mate, you would get the cabin for half the twin occupancy rate...

Not sure if they still have that or not....

And not sure if I would 'take a chance' rooming with a total stranger....

Just my opinion, but there is not way I would even consider taking a cruise sharing a stateroom and bathroom with a total stranger - regardless of price. Never!

The newer NCL ships have Studio cabins ...the Epic, Breakaway, Getaway, and Escape....

These are all Inside small cabins designed for solo occupancy.

Your room key also gets you into the exclusive Studio Lounge, at all times, where you can get snacks and drinks, and socialize with fellow solo cruiser's. It is open from around 5 to 6 PM to all solo cruiser's on the ship for a hosted social hour.

In addition, as mentioned RCI and other's are now adding some single occupancy cabins to their newbuilds...

Cunard has some, as does P&O, and a few others here and there.

Also as mentioned, the solo cabins are more costly, than one half of a double occupancy cabin...

Some ships, if bookings are slow, may even offer standard inside cabins for two, with a lowered, or even no single supplement, which could bring those cabins lower in cost than the solo cabins...

I took advantage of that on my January cruise on the NCL Breakaway....I booked a guarantee inside at the last minute (ten days before sailing), and ended up with a nice midship balcony all to myself, for less than the cost of a Studio...:cool:

Aaah shoot, i live in NY(grew up in flushing) and saw that Bway cruise deal, i couldn't make that week and was hoping for another, don't believe it happened again this winter. Next winter i'm jumping onboard! See you then.

Aaah shoot, i live in NY(grew up in flushing) and saw that Bway cruise deal, i couldn't make that week and was hoping for another, don't believe it happened again this winter. Next winter i'm jumping onboard! See you then.

I was hoping to try for it again on 19 Jan 2018, but it looks like that cruise may sellout ( the Studio's are already gone). That will be the first Western Carib itinerary for the Breakaway, and it seems to be attracting a lot of interest...

I was hoping to try for it again on 19 Jan 2018, but it looks like that cruise may sellout ( the Studio's are already gone). That will be the first Western Carib itinerary for the Breakaway, and it seems to be attracting a lot of interest...

Like you mentioned,"if bookings are slow", perhaps another week they will discount. I would imagine the winter months could be a hard sell. The week you mention probably will be full because of new itinerary, i didn't even know that.

Wow, i just looked, that's a 14 day cruise, looks great.

Great info in this thread!

Essie, you should find a Travel Agent who specializes in cruising to help you winnow down all these options. They get paid by the cruiseline, not by you, and will do whatever they can to help you so you will continue to use them.

Hey Bob,

did they let you push both beds together to make a queen size?

That's the way I found the bed...It doesn't matter to me, as I sleep on a twin at home. So to make it easier for the steward, I don't specify, and just accept the way I find it.

That's the way I found the bed...It doesn't matter to me, as I sleep on a twin at home. So to make it easier for the steward, I don't specify, and just accept the way I find it.

You are paying double, you can have the bed any way you want.

Just after the global financial crisis I was booked on a 54 night cruise solo. My travel agent rang and told me he had another lady who would share to bring cost down, over $6000. Thought about it, talked with my kids (their inheritance I am spending), decided to stay solo.

During cruise met a few other solo cruisers who had paired up with others they did not know. Drama and horror stories.

So glad to have cabin to myself, worth every penny.

You are paying double, you can have the bed any way you want.

Just after the global financial crisis I was booked on a 54 night cruise solo. My travel agent rang and told me he had another lady who would share to bring cost down, over $6000. Thought about it, talked with my kids (their inheritance I am spending), decided to stay solo.

During cruise met a few other solo cruisers who had paired up with others they did not know. Drama and horror stories.

So glad to have cabin to myself, worth every penny.

I don't believe he paid double, nor any single supplement at all. Read the post carefully. I was watching that cruise, it was offered with no supplement, i guess it was just lucky for him and slow booking for NCL. The benefit of having all these lines based in NY year round, they gotta sell the cabins no matter weather. Florida has these bonuses all the time with such a large supply of cruises.