Westerdam or Coral Princess for Panama Canal trip?

barbaraj

Westerdam: Built 2004, Refurbished 2014. 1916 pax, 800 crew

Coral Princess: Built 2002, Refurbished 2016. 1974 pax, 900 crew

I think since the Coral Princess was most recently refurbished, I would select that ship. also, Coral Princess has Movies under the Stars.

On the other hand, the Westerdam offers a Culinary Arts Center.

You don't mention your age. We went on Oosterdam (sister ship to Westerdam) and found our fellow cruisers were a good 30 years older than us - ages 70+++. Our suite was nice and we liked the upgraded bathroom, but were not wowed by the experience overall. We found the food quite bland, the service excellent, the shows of little interest.

We went on the Golden Princess through the Panama Canal and found a better mix of ages. The cabins are on the small size, but the food was significantly better, the entertainment was traditional cruise ship entertainment but we enjoyed it. There was live music we really enjoyed in the lounge.

We went on the Golden Princess through the Panama Canal and found a better mix of ages. The cabins are on the small size, but the food was significantly better, the entertainment was traditional cruise ship entertainment but we enjoyed it. There was live music we really enjoyed in the lounge.

Must have been the Coral as Grand has never done the canal. EM

Are you doing a full or partial transit? I've sailed most of my cruises on HAL, but did a partial transit of the Canal on the Coral Princess for my 60th birthday because it was about $400 cheaper than HAL. I would definitely sail Princess again, and found more similarities to HAL than differences.

Edited by Roz

Must have been the Coral as Grand has never done the canal. EM

You are right, it was the Sun Princess. I've never been on the Coral Princess.