Has anybody NOT had good results with relief bands?

I am checking into relief bands (electronic) for my first cruise. I have a tendancy to get very motion sick. Has anyone NOT had good results with these and if you didn't, did anything else work. I plan to pack everything available to me, but I want to know if I should spend the $$ to try the relief bands. Thanks for your helpful hints.

Can't wait till 5/19/04 on the Wind

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;05;19;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

I just got back from the Dawn and I had the relief band. It work for me. On one very rough sea night I used it and I was fine. It must be positioned correctly, follow the instructions. My number was 3. I felt it was worth the investment.

Rainy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;3;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till NCL Dawn cruise

I have traveled on 14 cruises and am very likely to get sea sick.I have tried everything and I always have to go back to using BONINE which is over the counter...I take one in the morning with breakfast and one at night with dinner and one before the ship leaves the port.

• 12 years later...
I am checking into relief bands (electronic) for my first cruise. I have a tendancy to get very motion sick. Has anyone NOT had good results with these and if you didn't, did anything else work. I plan to pack everything available to me, but I want to know if I should spend the $$ to try the relief bands. Thanks for your helpful hints.

http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi

Didn't have much success with them, although other cruisers swear by them. If I'm expecting rough seas I wear a transdermal patch. Otherwise I use over the counter remedies like Gravol or Bonine. I am not a good sailor, but I love to cruise. Nicole

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;05;19;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

Don't work for me at all. I use Bonine and never have any issues.

I always suffered from seasickness at the beginning of each cruise until I discovered sea bands. They were a Godsend to me and worked like a charm. Some may say that it is in my imagination but that doesn't matter. Whatever the reason, I no longer get seasick.

Here the thing about sea sickness. Some people get a little nausea on their first cruise and confuse it for sea sickness so anything they use to prevent a recurrence works. Sometimes people do have a bout of seasickness or maybe the first little bit on every cruise but their bodies quickly adjust on their own so again anything they take or use works. Placebos are very effective on some folks. Vacation constipation is probably a leading case of an illness mistaken for seasickness, thus the popularity of the lovely "I pooped" tshirts

My cousin tried to use them, but had to stop because the bands were such a tight fit that her hands were swollen. And she is not a large person.

She did have good results taking a 500 mg capsule of ginger 3 times a day, and the bonus was that there were no side effects or cautions about alcoholic beverages, as there are with some over-the-counter anti-nausea meds..

I know that there can be nasty side effects from the behind-the-ear Scopalomine patches, for some people, so would consider that only if nothing else worked.

After suffering from motion/car sickness as a child, I grew out of it. After more than a dozen cruises with not one moment of seasickness, I was suddenly overcome with it just after sail-away and had to quickly locate a public bathroom. I excused it as getting overheated during the outdoor muster drill, after eating. I took a Bonine, rested for a couple of hours and recovered quickly. On our next cruise, the very same thing happened. No excuse such as getting overheated to blame it on this time and besides, I was very familiar with motion sickness from my past. Since then, I start taking Bonine at least a day before the cruise and I'm fine. That's all I know to base it on, but it works for me. I don't want to take a chance on it interfering with the cruise.