Military discount on ALL cruises??

To me this whole military discount, whether it be Lowes, Home Depot and/or RCCL, etal, is totally blown out of proportion; in my opinion the only veterans that should be honored or entitled should be from World War II through Vietnam by reason of the end of the draft; all other individuals from that time forward have joined the armed services by their own choice and it should be classified a regular job.

On our previous cruises I think only one I was able to use any discount.

When I made my statement about the military discount I was taking the whole picture in; when World War II, Korea and Viet Nam took place you were either drafted and/or joined the various services by our government, thereafter the draft was eliminated and it became a full volunteer service job for our government with wonderful amenities if you stayed in for a full retirement; now with all that said their could be numerous careers that should be included in the benefits programs, i.e., policeman, fireman, medics, how about all the people who volunteer for all telethons to cure people, I could go on and on and it would be endless. I don't think that it is fair to single out the military and not all of the other job/volunteers.

Untrue. DH served 23 years in the Navy after voluntarily applying for and being accepted into ROTC during the height of the Vietnam War. The scholarship he received required four years of service as repayment, but that was part of the contract into which he entered voluntarily.

The benefits of which you speak (and some of them are excellent) are available to all retired servicemen and women, no matter when they served - they weren't created after the Vietnam War. And they come at a price of being paid well below market for services rendered for those 20 years.

We were able to get a Military discount for our upcoming cruise in August. We ended up saving quite a bit of money and a much higher category room by selecting a Guarantee Military rate.. However, I checked constantly on ********** for the daily rates and just happened to get a good one that only lasted a few days.Thank you to all that served and continue to serve.

To me this whole military discount, whether it be Lowes, Home Depot and/or RCCL, etal, is totally blown out of proportion; in my opinion the only veterans that should be honored or entitled should be from World War II through Vietnam by reason of the end of the draft; all other individuals from that time forward have joined the armed services by their own choice and it should be classified a regular job.

On our previous cruises I think only one I was able to use any discount.

Can I assume that you were drafted, but didn't want to go? So what are these companies supposed to do, figure out who was drafted and who wasn't? :rolleyes: There are many veterans from these wars that chose to serve and who weren't drafted. I was a bit young when the Vietnam Vets came home and many were disrespected. I didn't understand it at the time, but I do now. My heart goes out to them. For you to say that the veterans from the recent wars shouldn't be entitled to any discounts, I see you as being very disrespectful of their service. I would think that you of all people would be respectful of there service. Shame on you.

Again, so?! Do former /ex fire fighters or teachers or nurses deserve a discount just because they USED to be one? Would you expect to keep an employee perk once you left that company? I just don't get all the whiny and hurt feelings because you are not given a discount you hint the country owes you because you volunteered

I don't understand why you think ewenix was whining. They were simply stating a fact.

I also want to thank all of those that served/serving and fought for our freedom regardless of when you served or if you were in a war or not.

There were people who went to Vietnam, Korea, and WWII that were NOT drafted. Not sure what your point is there.

And the draft as it was back in the 60's may be gone, but the government does institute "stop loss" when they need to, which prevents folks in the military from leaving when their time is up if they are still needed.

People who volunteer for telethons are sitting in the USA, answering phones with hot coffee and AC. Don't be silly. It's good work- but that's way different than someone volunteering to put on body armor and drive around disarming IEDs in Afghanistan.

Time to give it up, friend.

So do air force drone pilots who sit in the US with hot coffee and AC get a military discount then?

You don't have to rationalize all military work as more dangerous than being a police officer in Detroit, or more risky than being a fire fighter in California, or more noble than a high school teacher in DC, or a more deserving sacrifice than a member of the clergy.

Businesses like to do military discounts in the US because it is as expected as tipping is now. It is viewed as an honorable and respectful thing to do and folks come to expect it. Businesses that don't do it are viewed as disrespectful of the armed services and that's just bad business.

I disagree with the user you quoted because businesses have to draw the line somewhere where they stop discounting folks. There is always someone who sacrificed more than someone else. Stopping it at the military is perfectly reasonable, but then attempting to rationalize it compared to other crappy jobs is a fool's errand.

I select the FD discount as well as the 'mature' discount. Not sure if it works in all instances. My next cruise does not have discounts i believe as it is a newer ship in high demand.

Furture cruises after that i may go to the 'smaller' ships. It all depends on my experience on the 2017 cruise i booked.

..........Businesses like to do military discounts in the US because it is as expected as tipping is now. It is viewed as an honorable and respectful thing to do and folks come to expect it. Businesses that don't do it are viewed as disrespectful of the armed services and that's just bad business. .......

I totally disagree with you and I'm shocked by your comments.:rolleyes::eek: You sound like one of those that thinks the world owes you something. Just because you were in the service doesn't mean people owe you anything. You need to get over yourself. Maybe where you live it might be expected, but not from most of us respectful military people. The people that expect it should be thankful that there are some businesses that do give a discount. I would never think it is bad business for a business that doesn't give one.