Communicating on the Allure

We just got off Oasis yesterday, and all 3 of us had the VOOM package.

Myself, DH, and DD.

We all have iPhones, and the Imessage worked in airplane mode.

It was just like texting at home.

Great way to keep in touch on such a HUGE ship!!!

Enjoy!!!:D

We just got off Oasis yesterday, and all 3 of us had the VOOM package.

Myself, DH, and DD.

We all have iPhones, and the Imessage worked in airplane mode.

It was just like texting at home.

Great way to keep in touch on such a HUGE ship!!!

Enjoy!!!:D

Do you mind if I ask how much it cost for the 3 of you? Thanks!

I have a question about the internet packages. Online if you look at packages, it has an amount but says per adult per day. So if you choose surf for 5 devices, it shows $31.47. Is that for all five devices per day? And if you pay for device, can you also use the 'internet café' as well to log on internet?

Also, we normally cruise on Princess and their in room tv's have a lot of movies and shows to watch for free. Does the Allure have that as well or do we need streaming for younger kids to watch shows on phones?

Thanks!

I have a question about the internet packages. Online if you look at packages, it has an amount but says per adult per day. So if you choose surf for 5 devices, it shows $31.47. Is that for all five devices per day? And if you pay for device, can you also use the 'internet café' as well to log on internet?

Also, we normally cruise on Princess and their in room tv's have a lot of movies and shows to watch for free. Does the Allure have that as well or do we need streaming for younger kids to watch shows on phones?

Thanks!

Yes, the $31.47 would be the per day amount for all 5 devices. You can have 5 devices logged in simultaneously, including those in the internet cafe.

There are cartoon channels for free on the TV.

SWyFENZCyEQ

Lol

Times are changing, I suppose now we start to see threads titled

How do you carry your device?

Can I get a hole punched in my device?

What do you do with your device when you are.....

Lol

Times are changing, I suppose now we start to see threads titled

How do you carry your device?

Can I get a hole punched in my device?

What do you do with your device when you are.....

No kidding. [emoji15]

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

My husband and I are going on a cruise soon without the kids. We are getting the surf and stream package with 1 device so that we can facetime or skype with our kids. I didn't want to get internet for my device, because I don't want to check work email. I think I will be too tempted if I have access. I am excited to be disconnected from the internet for a week. However, the thought of being able to text my husband while on board when we are not near each other seems like a good option to have. My husband said we can bring our walkie talkies. (I think they are decent range). Thoughts?

My husband and I are going on a cruise soon without the kids. We are getting the surf and stream package with 1 device so that we can facetime or skype with our kids. I didn't want to get internet for my device, because I don't want to check work email. I think I will be too tempted if I have access. I am excited to be disconnected from the internet for a week. However, the thought of being able to text my husband while on board when we are not near each other seems like a good option to have. My husband said we can bring our walkie talkies. (I think they are decent range). Thoughts?

I've not had good luck with walkie-talkies.

If I do 4 devices do we all have to be staying in the same room??? Or just 4 devices

No

You can use any four devices you want. So you can share with the whole ship if you wanted, just four devices can be logged on at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 2 months later...
Thanks for the info.

We're on the Allure in August and were trying to figure out how to keep in touch with each other and more specifically my 14 year old daughter.

I wasn't sure if the texting feature on our phones worked when in airplane mode/wifi on. My daughter and I just put our phones airplane mode and used our home wifi and were able to txt each other. I'm sure I would not get a "mom of the year" award if I made my teen carry around a walkie talkie(do they even make them anymore?).

Did you get a big cell phone bill from your provider, when you returned from your cruise? Or do you have international talk/text? Just curious how this works when you don't purchase the VOOM wifi package the ship offers.

Excellent advice, thank you very much. Didn't know i could use wifi on airplane mode!

Are there onboard discounts for Voom (I'm diamond), or should I just pre-purchase?

Thanks!

There is a $20-$30 (varies) on board for Voom. You would have to determine if that is a better deal than pre-cruise based on which package you want and for how many devices.

• 1 month later...

Thanks so much for the information. Very very helpful and has set my mind at ease. My DD 14 is taking a friend who is 15 and although we could set a place to meet at certain times, I would love to be able to text should our plans change or if they are in the middle of something and are running later. I LOVE IT! Thank you again.

I travel with VERY large groups - the next cruise is around 70 people. We have a "secret" Facebook group where people get to know each other before the cruise. Then, while on the cruise, people can post in the group things like:

"We'll be playing trivia in the Schooner bar if anyone wants to join us."

"There are plenty of open lounge chairs near us in the solarium on the port side."

"Group breakfast at Johnny Rockets in an hour."

You get the idea.