Canadian cruisers!!

We're just on our way back from our interview in Fort Erie. Easy but you need to apply online and once approved you book an appointment at one of the border crossings. It was about 6 or 7 weeks after approval. Really makes life at the airport and bridge crossings easy. I've had mine for 4 years - now just getting them for DH and DS- also can use to go through quick security line when flying domestically. If you travel regularly it's worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

First time cruisers. Just my 14 yr old daughter & myself. Could you provide me a little info on Nexus and thoughts on whether it might be beneficial for us? As you can tell not big travellers.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/menu-eng.html

Above us the link to the CDN website.

We find it beneficial as we drive to Florida 2x per year so we avoid the lines at the border crossing. An added perk is that it saves a lot of time now at FLL disembarking the Oasis and Allure.

First time cruisers. Just my 14 yr old daughter & myself. Could you provide me a little info on Nexus and thoughts on whether it might be beneficial for us? As you can tell not big travellers.

Some additional thoughts on Nexus from a transplanted Haligonian. :)

On domestic flights, some Canadian airports have a priority line for security. You go through the same screening, but get to the head of the line, a real time saver.

For US flights from Canadian airports with US pre-screening, including Halifax's Stanfield International, in addition to going to the head of the screening line, you have a separate and far quicker line for US CBP processing.

For flights returning to Canada from US airports (including Fort Lauderdale and Miami) offering Global Entry, Nexus includes Precheck. The TSA Precheck program expedites traveler screening through TSA security checkpoints by providing a separate line. It also allows you to leave your belt, a light jacket and shoes on and to leave your laptop and 3-1-1 liquids in your carry on bag. This is a big convenience and time saver.

Upon arrival at your Canadian airport, you again have a separate line and expedited processing. Quick and easy.

Not all land crossing border points have Nexus line, but it's another time saver. New Brunswick crossings at St. Stephen/Calais and Woodstock/Houlton have them if you are driving to Maine.

Is it worth getting? Definitely, IMO, even if you only take one trip a year to the US.

We've had ours for 4 years now and will definitely be renewing. I can't begin to tell you how many hours it has saved us at various airports around the world, as well as our Vancouver/Blaine land crossings. For our land crossing, it would only take us a maximum of 10 minutes versus the hour long + wait in the regular line. At some airports, we would have missed connections (when you have to get your luggage because of different countries, i.e. Australia connecting through the U.S. to get to Canada).

As another person mentioned . . . even if you're not a frequent traveller, it's worth it 100%. Wouldn't leave home without it!;)

We've had ours for 4 years now and will definitely be renewing. I can't begin to tell you how many hours it has saved us at various airports around the world, as well as our Vancouver/Blaine land crossings. For our land crossing, it would only take us a maximum of 10 minutes versus the hour long + wait in the regular line. At some airports, we would have missed connections (when you have to get your luggage because of different countries, i.e. Australia connecting through the U.S. to get to Canada).

As another person mentioned . . . even if you're not a frequent traveller, it's worth it 100%. Wouldn't leave home without it!;)

Just renewed mine recently and would never want to be without it - as mentioned has got me to the 'front of the line' many times saving me hours of waiting in line - and when landing just a walk off the plane and no waiting in a long customs line.

I have only used it in airports but at $50 for 5 years/$10 a year it is definitely worth it even if you only use it once or twice a year! :D

Edited by Froufie

Was going to book a cruise on the FOTS . I got a quote for 1702.00 canadian or 1249.00 US dollars . If I use the today's currency exchange it comes out to about $75 dollars cheaper if I booked in US dollars . I know if I book in US dollars and the Canadian dollar drops from now to my final payment in November it will cost me even more . Just curious if most Canucks book in US or Canadian funds ?

Was going to book a cruise on the FOTS . I got a quote for 1702.00 canadian or 1249.00 US dollars . If I use the today's currency exchange it comes out to about $75 dollars cheaper if I booked in US dollars . I know if I book in US dollars and the Canadian dollar drops from now to my final payment in November it will cost me even more . Just curious if most Canucks book in US or Canadian funds ?

We booked in US dollars. Hopefully the exchange rate stays the same!

We book in CAD so that we know exactly what it's going to cost us, no matter what the currency fluctuations. We tend to book very early and there's no telling what CAD-USD exchange rates will look like. In spite of the strengthening of the Loonie over the past number of weeks, the probable direction in the coming months is downward. That's before you even factor in the big hit yesterday.

If you think the majority of economists are wrong and the Loonie is going to take wing, by all means book in USD, but I believe that a CAD booking will be to your advantage.

If your cruise is very soon, of course, a USD booking might work. I'm also not taking into account the value or perks you can get by booking with a US big box outfit. Lots of things to think about, eh? :)

we had the sme issue for our cruise in Jan 2017.

I booked in USD ( with a USD credit card) and bought the US funds rightaway ( sitting in my USD bank account).

So I know how much my trip will cost.

As all my vacation is on cruises, I just save my vacation money in my US account.

I try to buy a little at a time.

I actually had an 18 month reserve from Money I had bought almost at par.

But it is all gone now and actually had to buy some at 1.4 in Feb 2016.

you never know where it will go

We are a global economy ........ and what others do have a ripple affect on us.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/menu-eng.html

Above us the link to the CDN website.

We find it beneficial as we drive to Florida 2x per year so we avoid the lines at the border crossing. An added perk is that it saves a lot of time now at FLL disembarking the Oasis and Allure.

Thanks everyone very helpful

For Nexus - do minor children need to get one if both parents have it?

From the Nexus site....

Yes, each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form.There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.

Please note that for minors, parents or legal guardians must complete and sign the application on behalf of children under the age of 18.

For non-custodial parents or guardians who apply for a minor child under the age of 18, a photocopy of all applicable legal documents showing custody rights must be included with the application. Alternatively, a notarized copy of the parent's or legal guardian's consent in writing to the enrolment of that child in the program may be included with the application.

Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a custodial parent or legal guardian at the time of final interview processing.

Hope that helps. We were told that if we tried to use it and not everyone in the car had one then ours would be taken from us and not returned. The customs agent made it very clear that he was not joking.

Hope that helps. We were told that if we tried to use it and not everyone in the car had one then ours would be taken from us and not returned. The customs agent made it very clear that he was not joking.

The same applies to flights or cruises: it's all or none.

[/i]

Thank you for the information!!

FYI . . . my particular cruise, and perhaps others on RCCL currently have a 20% off their Ultimate, Premium and Select beverage packages. Personally, I don't drink enough to make it a 'good' buy but might be worthwhile for other cruisers.:)

My sailing has had that offer going for the last 8 weeks. I purchased it the first week because I thought it would quickly disappear. Nope, could have waited, its still being offered.

Our sailing is for November.

I'm still waiting for the offer to be on my Sept sailing 90 days out today . I already bought it for my May sailing .

Right now drink package for the sept sailing is more than I paid for the cruise itself

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just a heads up that the exchange seems to have dropped in the cruise planner. The select package on my Liberty sailing in August was $362.53 with the 20% off. Now it is $354.35.

Thanks! I just saved $15. Not a ton but better in my pocket. :)

So now we are getting It the other way.

At 40% they are charging almost 10% higher than the posted rate. I realize before at 1.1 we were really benefitting but the dollar has been around the 1.3 mark now for a few months(give or take)

Would be nice if they would at least charge the going rate.

I booked my next cruise in USD as its cheaper to buy OBC/spending $ on the cruise that way then to book in CAD and pay 1.4 on the dollar.

Edited by monctonguy