Pros and Cons of Booking Port or Starboard Cabin on Oasis

Our experience on Oasis and Allure has been with the Wetsern itinerary and in Labadee the island is on the starboard side and in Falmouth, the pier is perpendicular to the island and starboard side is to the pier as the ship backs in. The shops, etc., are on this side. It can vary in Cozumel, but the pier is at angle to the sea and land so it doesn't matter as much.

Also the smoking area is on the pool decks which will be above you, so the higher deck you on are the closer you will be to it. But as I recall smoking on Oais is on the port side. Perhaps someone can confirm.

Oasis class is designed to dock on the starboard side, but will sometimes dock

on the port side if they have a life boat drill while tied up in port. Darn life boats

don't do well on dry dock for some reason. Crunch landing. :eek:

Edited by island lady

In GENERAL, Starboard side will give you a view of the dock, Port side will be away from the dock.

However, that will occasionally be changed if, as mentioned, a life boat drill is needed for the starboard side boats. There will be no way to know at cabin selection time if they'll need to do such a drill.

So, if you'd like to look at the dock, pick the starboard, if you'd rather look away from the dock, pick port, but know that may change at any given port.

In GENERAL, Starboard side will give you a view of the dock, Port side will be away from the dock.

However, that will occasionally be changed if, as mentioned, a life boat drill is needed for the starboard side boats. There will be no way to know at cabin selection time if they'll need to do such a drill.

So, if you'd like to look at the dock, pick the starboard, if you'd rather look away from the dock, pick port, but know that may change at any given port.

Plus, even though the ship will most likely have the dock on the starboard side, that may not be the view of the port, depending on the side of the dock the ship uses.

Port----starboard----

The views can be hit or miss, as others have said.

All that I know is on the Oasis class ships I still go the wrong way when inside the ship ---when ever we go somewhere.

It could be the theatre or our loft suite, or the lounges, I can never get my direction correct.

I should have a ship GPS

There has to be a secret.

Safe travels

Port----starboard----

All that I know is on the Oasis class ships I still go the wrong way when inside the ship ---when ever we go somewhere.

It could be the theatre or our loft suite, or the lounges, I can never get my direction correct.

I should have a ship GPS

Safe travels

In the cabin hallways anyway, there was something about the way the cabin signs are...wave designs

pointing in one direction...etc. But not sure if that was Oasis class. I DO know the numbers get

higher the more aft you go. Now on non cabin decks. Yeah....where the heck am I??

But...then again. I would rather get lost, on go on unexpected tour of Oasis, than

lost on the highway. :eek: :p :p

Edited by island lady

Port----starboard----

I should have a ship GPS

Safe travels

You souind like my wife! Usually by the end of the week she gets it right - just in time to disembark. And, mind you, we've been on many of the ships several times! :D

You souind like my wife! Usually by the end of the week she gets it right - just in time to disembark. And, mind you, we've been on many of the ships several times! :D

My DH lets me walk around aimlessly and tries to teach me a lesson to look for landmarks on the right or left when we go back to the cabin.

He asks what side is sorrentos pizza on when we go back to the CLS.

And just to get his goat I go "theres a pizza shop on board????"

I think Sorrentos is on my left on Allure when I walk to the back of the ship to get the elevators to go to the crown loft suites.

I hope

Just like the x files, I am not alone (at least in ship orientation)

Have a good day

In the cabin hallways anyway, there was something about the way the cabin signs are...wave designs

pointing in one direction...etc. But not sure if that was Oasis class. I DO know the numbers get

higher the more aft you go. Now on non cabin decks. Yeah....where the heck am I??

But...then again. I would rather get lost, on go on unexpected tour of Oasis, than

lost on the highway. :eek: [emoji14] :p

404462297d5ed3aa410b691f69842b83.jpg

Notice the arrow on the right side of the sign.it points to the front of the ship. Those will be on most signs including cabin numbers.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Notice the arrow on the right side of the sign.it points to the front of the ship. Those will be on most signs including cabin numbers.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hmmm...even easier!! :)

Must have been on one of the smaller ships that had something to do with

wave directions on the signs. Of course the carpet color helps to let you

know if you are port side or starboard side.

Hmmm...even easier!! :)

Must have been on one of the smaller ships that had something to do with

wave directions on the signs. Of course the carpet color helps to let you

know if you are port side or starboard side.

I know way back when we sailed on Mariner out of Port Canaveral, all the art work in the cabin passageways was different paintings and pictures of ships and boats. All of the boats in the pictures were pointed in the same direction as the ship itself.

Port----starboard----

I should have a ship GPS

Safe travels

I was on Allure and I found that class of ship very difficult to navigate. It was hard to get from one side to the other because of the large space in the middle of the ship - Central Park and Boardwalk. You can't just walk across the hallway to get to the other side rather you have to plan where you are going before you start out. What I did was go to neatest elevator bank and look at the ship map. If you locate the front of ship, turn and face it. Starboard is on the right and Port is on the left (4 letters in Port and 4 letters in left). They also have installed location interactive software on these maps that are located by the stairs, dining areas and elevators. [/i]

I know way back when we sailed on Mariner out of Port Canaveral, all the art work in the cabin passageways was different paintings and pictures of ships and boats. All of the boats in the pictures were pointed in the same direction as the ship itself.

I never would have figured that one out! Great observation! :D

Edited by island lady

Interested in knowing other cruisers' pros and cons for port vs starboard balcony cabins. (High decks so smoking shouldn't be a factor.)

I like to look at the itinerary and decide which half of the cruise I want the sun on balcony and which half I want the shade. After being in the sun all day I really don't want to sit on balcony in the sun. Just a personal preference