SD1 Dec. 27

laurelguy

First timers and looking forward. Came over after 15 years on Wind Spirit. Hoping for a good week over New Year's. Very familiar with the itinerary but wondering from you alumni...do you need to book anything in advance like excursions? Thanks.

We just returned from our first sailing and SD1 and loved it. I don't think there is really a way to "pre-book" any of the excursions. When we were in the salon area prior to check-in there was a sheet of paper at each seating area with the listed excursions and pricing. We filled one out and turned it in when we checked in and it was that simple. There is a 24 hour cancel policy so be aware of timing if you change your mind.

One other thing that you might want to keep in mind is if you want to book the Forward Bali Bed for overnight you need to do that as soon as possible since it will fill up fast. Try to do that with the concierge at check-in instead of waiting until the Captain's welcome aboard party where the Club Director explains those items.

Also if you want bicycles for any of the port for your use, try to reserve them a day or 2 before hand. They had 10 bikes on board last week - all in great shape.

Good luck, and have a wonderful sailing.

Mark

Mark is sounding like a seasoned SeaDreamer already. He's obviously hooked. He's also right about booking ship's excursions and the Bali bed.

Another tip about advance planning. We are always reluctant to book any private excursions (i.e., not set up through SD) anywhere other than embarkation and debarkation ports. We have seen how rough seas can change the schedule, and you don't want to be out any prepaid tour fees if the yacht never gets to a particular island. A few years ago we had a New Year's cruise and were excited about NYE in St. Barts. The seas were so rough, not only didn't we get there, but the harbor had to be totally evacuated. Still, we managed to have a great vacation even though we were safely anchored off Virgin Gorda for a few days. Being stuck on SeaDream in the Caribbean or being stuck in Chicago in January. Take your pick.

We'll be boarding SD1 when you get off, so please leave some caviar for us.

I agree with both Tiki and Trapper. We have booked excursions when we wanted on board and otherwise only go ashore to poke around on our own. SD excursions are not as overpriced as some of the mass market lines and are always a cut above with small groups. We have never been told any excursion we wanted was "sold out". We have had one excursion cancelled for lack of interest. Makes me feel I am a wierdo wanting an excursion all others avoid.:eek::D

In regards to excursions not being sold out - we did a Catamaran in Mayreau. 16 passengers on an 80 ft Cat that could have held 75 or 80. Then we did a Cat in Union Island where only 9 of us including the Activities Director were on board a 55 ft Cat that normally holds 65 passengers. To say that we had plenty of room is an understatement. I think that SD actually wanted to cancel both tours but the tour company "Wind and Sea" said something is better than nothing. Cost was only $79 per person for a nice 3 to 4 hour sail (but the rum punch was horrible).

Not sure which islands you are visiting but I am sure folks here can give you some tips.

Mark

We'll be boarding SD1 when you get off, so please leave some caviar for us.

Boarding the voyage after New Year's???? You will be lucky if they have water on board.:eek::D The only thing worse is boarding the week Ho-Hum leaves.

Edited by Jim Avery

• 2 weeks later...