Navigator

woogie

Hi woogie! The suites on the Navigator are just about identical to the suites on the Voyager (sorry - don't have a photo of either one).

The suites on the Navigator are exactly the same from the lowest level through PH categories "G" and "H" that are the same but without a balcony - only a window). Hope that this helps.

Here is a link with photos of the suites on the Navigator https://www.rssc.com/ships/seven_seas_navigator/suites/default.aspx#Content

Hi woogie! The suites on the Navigator are just about identical to the suites on the Voyager (sorry - don't have a photo of either one).

The suites on the Navigator are exactly the same from the lowest level through PH categories "G" and "H" that are the same but without a balcony - only a window). Hope that this helps.

Here is a link with photos of the suites on the Navigator https://www.rssc.com/ships/seven_seas_navigator/suites/default.aspx#Content

Thanks Travelcat.....I am sure by now you and Dennis have planned your next adventure!

Can anyone on the Navigator post pictures of the rooms on the ship?

Specifically Cat G and D

Thank you

Hello,

We were on Navigator last May after the refurbishment and it was just ok (in my opinion)

Have you been on any Regent ships before? If you have then i suppose it depends on your likes and dislikes.

We missed the Observation lounge and found the ship a bit too small for us.

We were also on a GtY Concierge but got a *free* upgrade to a PH which was rather nice but could have done without the butler.

It seems the suites are similar in size. I'm sure you want to see them but they are better sized than most of the others.

Hope you get some better answers.

PS, I didn't really enjoy the Greek itinerary so maybe that's why i maybe a little negative. Sorry and hope you have a great cruise whatever you chose.

Thanks Travelcat.....I am sure by now you and Dennis have planned your next adventure!

Yes - definitely looking forward to returning to the Explorer in March. So, you are thinking about going on the Navigator? Just about everyone we have spoken with thinks that the ship's refurbishment has turned it into almost a new ship. I did notice some great itineraries on the Navigator but Dennis isn't quite ready to return to that ship yet.

In the case of the Navigator, I would select a low and mid-ship suite as the Navigator feels the motion of the ocean more strongly than her sister ships. And, any level suite with a balcony is fine since they are identical (except Navigator, Grand and Master suites).

Note for other posters: When you book a "guarantee" cabin and end up with a higher category cabin than you booked, it is not considered a "free" upgrade. This could make some readers wonder how they can also get one. When you book a "guarantee" you could end up with the same category that you paid for or could get a suite in a higher category. On the Navigator, I would hesitate to book a guarantee as we would not want any suite - regardless of the category - that was aft. Way too much vibration for us.

Edited by Travelcat2

Yes - definitely looking forward to returning to the Explorer in March. So, you are thinking about going on the Navigator? Just about everyone we have spoken with thinks that the ship's refurbishment has turned it into almost a new ship. I did notice some great itineraries on the Navigator but Dennis isn't quite ready to return to that ship yet.

In the case of the Navigator, I would select a low and mid-ship suite as the Navigator feels the motion of the ocean more strongly than her sister ships. And, any level suite with a balcony is fine since they are identical (except Navigator, Grand and Master suites).

Note for other posters: When you book a "guarantee" cabin and end up with a higher category cabin than you booked, it is not considered a "free" upgrade. This could make some readers wonder how they can also get one. When you book a "guarantee" you could end up with the same category that you paid for or could get a suite in a higher category. On the Navigator, I would hesitate to book a guarantee as we would not want any suite - regardless of the category - that was aft. Way too much vibration for us.

A wee note to Jackie here (AKA TRAVELCat) We did book a GTY on that particular cruise, we did indeed get a FREE UPGRADE!!!!!

It keeps being said that people will have an upsell. We were indeed offered an upsell on that trip but declined the offer as we knew the ship and were well aware of the size of the suites. We were then granted a * FREE UPGRADE* and had a good time. Some people on this board have alterer motives and you should go with your gut.

Good luck with your choice.

GTY can give a FREE upgrade. But the suite you get can be (even a upgrade one) be poor if it is aft or something like that.

First time we had a GTY we got an upgrade. The upgrade suite had the nespresso and the binocular and lucky it was on a good location.

Edited by Henk123

• 4 weeks later...

If you are looking for a little more space, don't mind not having a veranda, and a bargain at the same time, try to book Cabin 600. It is forward, almost always booked, and Category G. One of a kind on the ship because of its location.

If you are looking for a little more space, don't mind not having a veranda, and a bargain at the same time, try to book Cabin 600. It is forward, almost always booked, and Category G. One of a kind on the ship because of its location.

It is one of a kind but it is very noisy in that suite (as is 601). You hear the anchor coming down very early in the morning. Also, suites that far forward feel the movement of the seas on both directions (forward and back as well as side to side). Lastly, there is no balcony but there is a walkway where crew can walk by your window..... something that people should be aware of.

Henk123: Agree with you 100% Guarantees are risky on the Navigator (as are upsells unless you look at the deck plan before accepting the suite).

woogie: I believe that you may be looking at the WC for 2018? If this is the case (or on any Navigator itinerary), stay low and mid-ship. The suites are similar in a way to the Explorer. The closets are the same size and the bedroom is the around the same size (but beds do not face the sliding glass doors). The Category "G" suites have some good locations.

It is one of a kind but it is very noisy in that suite (as is 601). You hear the anchor coming down very early in the morning. Also, suites that far forward feel the movement of the seas on both directions (forward and back as well as side to side). Lastly, there is no balcony but there is a walkway where crew can walk by your window..... something that people should be aware of.

Henk123: Agree with you 100% Guarantees are risky on the Navigator (as are upsells unless you look at the deck plan before accepting the suite).

woogie: I believe that you may be looking at the WC for 2018? If this is the case (or on any Navigator itinerary), stay low and mid-ship. The suites are similar in a way to the Explorer. The closets are the same size and the bedroom is the around the same size (but beds do not face the sliding glass doors). The Category "G" suites have some good locations.

There are absolutely trade-off Travelcat2. Personally a little ship movement is not an issue but if it is, the cabin isn't for you. I get a lot more movement deep sea fishing than this ship will have. Anchor noise bothers some. The noise from the Waves Grill on the Oceania Marina caused by the constantly scrapping chairs above my PH1 mid-ship cabin is far worse and goes on all day and until the restaurant closes.

If I were lucky enough to be able to book Cabin 600, I would because for us the trade-offs are worth it. A cabin almost the size of the Navigator Suites at a much lower cost. For us, a veranda is nice but we don't spend much time on it. We had a wrap around veranda in an Owner's Suite (8143) on the Marina last October and spent very little time on it and never got in the hot tub. It is all a matter of what you typically do and how much you want to spend.

There are absolutely trade-off Travelcat2. Personally a little ship movement is not an issue but if it is, the cabin isn't for you. I get a lot more movement deep sea fishing than this ship will have. Anchor noise bothers some. The noise from the Waves Grill on the Oceania Marina caused by the constantly scrapping chairs above my PH1 mid-ship cabin is far worse and goes on all day and until the restaurant closes.

If I were lucky enough to be able to book Cabin 600, I would because for us the trade-offs are worth it. A cabin almost the size of the Navigator Suites at a much lower cost. For us, a veranda is nice but we don't spend much time on it. We had a wrap around veranda in an Owner's Suite (8143) on the Marina last October and spent very little time on it and never got in the hot tub. It is all a matter of what you typically do and how much you want to spend.

You do make good points - it is a trade-off. I just like to warn people about certain suites so they can book it with full knowledge of possible issues. We also avoid suites under the pool deck due to the scraping that you mentioned. BTW, the Owner's Suite on the Marina is gorgeous!

woogie recently sailed with us on the Explorer and, IMO, going from the Explorer to the Navigator is a bit of a culture shock.

You do make good points - it is a trade-off. I just like to warn people about certain suites so they can book it with full knowledge of possible issues. We also avoid suites under the pool deck due to the scraping that you mentioned. BTW, the Owner's Suite on the Marina is gorgeous!

woogie recently sailed with us on the Explorer and, IMO, going from the Explorer to the Navigator is a bit of a culture shock.

Travelcat2 surely to say "it's a bit of a culture shock' is way over the top!. You are almost making out it's a near miss in the realms of a good cruise?

You absolutely should warn people Travelcat2. Someone that is more sensitive to the movement of the sea could be miserable the entire time. Others are very sensitive to the anchor noise. We are usually up early so less of an issue for us. Just noise. Like you, I try to look at the deck above and the deck below but sometimes, you just can't avoid the issue unless you go fore or aft in a lesser category cabin. Sometimes we just deal with it and enjoy the trip in spite of life's few annoyances.

You are right the Owner's Suite on the Marina is beautiful Nice to have two bathrooms too. Although the one just inside the cabin door is small if is a full bathroom which got put to use on occasion.

I am sure you have experience your share of shock changing ships. We certainly have. You expect them to be similar if they are on the same line but that expectation isn't always met. We have also experienced it on Oceania going from the two larger ships to the smaller ships. That is part of the experience, isn't it? Too much predictability can be boring. :)

Travelcat2 surely to say "it's a bit of a culture shock' is way over the top!. You are almost making out it's a near miss in the realms of a good cruise?

You may want to read the about the experiences of passengers that have been on the Navigator the past month or so. IMO, saying "culture shock" was being kind.

mjobtx - although we have only sailed on the Riviera (which I hear it almost identical to the Marina) in a Vista and PH suite, we took a tour of one of Oceania's smaller ships. Seeing the Nautica was another big surprise. While beautiful, she is not our taste at all (although I understand that some people prefer the small ships to the larger ones).

In terms of Regent, the Mariner and Voyager have a lot of similarities (although we prefer the Voyager due to the size of the suites). The Explorer is as close to perfection as we have ever seen (even after acknowledging a couple of design issues.)

As has been said many times, the Navigator was never meant to be a passenger cruise ship and no matter how many hundreds of millions dollars go into her, her beauty is only skin deep. What lies beneath is a hull that doesn't do well in rough waters, has a significant aft vibration and other issues that I'm being polite by not mentioning. For many years the fares on the Navigator were significantly less than on other ships but this is not necessarily the case any more. In addition to my DH, there are many passengers that I've met over the years that will not sail on her.

You sound like a person that rolls with the punches and also can take rough seas very well. The only time my DH has been seasick was on the Navigator. There are many passengers on the world cruise that have been seasick. One poster indicated that it felt like the ship was rocking and rolling in circles.

Agree that predictability can be boring but in the case of some ships, returning to them is like going home.

You may want to read the about the experiences of passengers that have been on the Navigator the past month or so. IMO, saying "culture shock" was being kind.

mjobtx - although we have only sailed on the Riviera (which I hear it almost identical to the Marina) in a Vista and PH suite, we took a tour of one of Oceania's smaller ships. Seeing the Nautica was another big surprise. While beautiful, she is not our taste at all (although I understand that some people prefer the small ships to the larger ones).

In terms of Regent, the Mariner and Voyager have a lot of similarities (although we prefer the Voyager due to the size of the suites). The Explorer is as close to perfection as we have ever seen (even after acknowledging a couple of design issues.)

As has been said many times, the Navigator was never meant to be a passenger cruise ship and no matter how many hundreds of millions dollars go into her, her beauty is only skin deep. What lies beneath is a hull that doesn't do well in rough waters, has a significant aft vibration and other issues that I'm being polite by not mentioning. For many years the fares on the Navigator were significantly less than on other ships but this is not necessarily the case any more. In addition to my DH, there are many passengers that I've met over the years that will not sail on her.

You sound like a person that rolls with the punches and also can take rough seas very well. The only time my DH has been seasick was on the Navigator. There are many passengers on the world cruise that have been seasick. One poster indicated that it felt like the ship was rocking and rolling in circles.

Agree that predictability can be boring but in the case of some ships, returning to them is like going home.

Thanks for the heads up. I just visited the reviews on CruiseCritic and it is clear that Africa was a bust but the other reviews in 2016 were a mixed bag of some average, some great. I didn't see a single comment about too much instability or sea sickness. If you have a link or two, please send it. Some of the comments have me bewildered. I know itineraries can go bad because of weather. But the comments seems to suggest that Regent has lost its way. Do you think that it has or is it just the Navigator and bad luck. I may have to reconsider one of our next cruises because it is on the Navigator but seas should be less of an issue. Miami - Miami Amazon River cruise. I can say that in November 2015, we had 4 days of rough water sailing from St. Helena to Rio but suffered no ill effects. We did look funny walking down the halls though and you had to hold the handrails everywhere you went.

We are used to rolling with the punches. Cruises in the 70s and 80s were far rougher on those not used to being at sea. Stability has improved significantly over the decades but I would not want to spend the whole time feeling queasy. We rarely get to choose the ship because we choose the itinerary. The itinerary is our primary interest.

Please keep the comments coming. We have never been on the Navigator and while we can roll with the punches, we don't want to pitch and roll too much.

Thanks for the heads up. I just visited the reviews on CruiseCritic and it is clear that Africa was a bust but the other reviews in 2016 were a mixed bag of some average, some great. I didn't see a single comment about too much instability or sea sickness. If you have a link or two, please send it. Some of the comments have me bewildered. I know itineraries can go bad because of weather. But the comments seems to suggest that Regent has lost its way. Do you think that it has or is it just the Navigator and bad luck. I may have to reconsider one of our next cruises because it is on the Navigator but seas should be less of an issue. Miami - Miami Amazon River cruise. I can say that in November 2015, we had 4 days of rough water sailing from St. Helena to Rio but suffered no ill effects. We did look funny walking down the halls though and you had to hold the handrails everywhere you went.

We are used to rolling with the punches. Cruises in the 70s and 80s were far rougher on those not used to being at sea. Stability has improved significantly over the decades but I would not want to spend the whole time feeling queasy. We rarely get to choose the ship because we choose the itinerary. The itinerary is our primary interest.

Please keep the comments coming. We have never been on the Navigator and while we can roll with the punches, we don't want to pitch and roll too much.

We have been cruising for many years on a variety of ships. We were so looking forward to our first trip on the Regent and our first visit to West and South Africa. However, whilst the Navigator looks good after her refit once at sea, she became one of, if not the most uncomfortable ships we have sailed on. I acknowledge we had a PH well forward on Deck 10 but significant movement was felt in many areas of the ship even in moderate swells. We had the ship's carpenter to our suite several times to try to fix the various rattles but in the end he shrugged his shoulders saying she was an old ship and these noises are no different from other suites. Hardly 5 star luxury. It seems to me that when a cruise lines purchases a pre built hull and then converts it to a cruise ship it rarely works out well. We have had far worse sea conditions on other ships, 4 days of really high seas crossing the Tasman once, but never have we felt so uncomfortable as we did on the Navigator. Not just us but many other guests. Then of course is the well known vibration problems aft of mid ship. Navigator was not a pleasant introduction to a Regent for us but I hope it will not put us off trying Regent again, but definitely not on Navigator.

Here is a link to the World Cruise thread. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2446541 . The stability of the ship in rough seas is addressed in post 10, 14, 60* and 63* (60 and 63 being of special note).

Then there is the Blog (link on the first page of the thread above). There are a couple of paragraphs that I will copy and paste below from that thread:

Day 17 of blog: "As I said on Face Book this morning, "Yeeee Haw! Ride'm Navigator". The Pacific Ocean has been very nasty ever since we left San Diego yesterday evening. We are pitching up, down, sideways, and at times, cork screwing. In addition to having a half of a patch behind my ear I am wearing wrist bands which I call "practicing safe cruising". So far we both are doing ok."

Day 18: "It was hard to sleep last night because of the rough ride. At 8:30 am we are experiencing long swells of over 20 feet hitting the ship pretty much head on so ship is pitching a lot. This is worse ride than it was yesterday. Hopefully ride will improve later today."

There are more posts but I don't have time to go through them all. In the blog (somewhere) the fact that the Navigator's hull was not meant to be for a passenger ship is mentioned.

While I'm not trying to put anyone off of the Navigator for cruises in calm seas, it is definitely not like any of the other Regent ships.

We have been cruising for many years on a variety of ships. We were so looking forward to our first trip on the Regent and our first visit to West and South Africa. However, whilst the Navigator looks good after her refit once at sea, she became one of, if not the most uncomfortable ships we have sailed on. I acknowledge we had a PH well forward on Deck 10 but significant movement was felt in many areas of the ship even in moderate swells. We had the ship's carpenter to our suite several times to try to fix the various rattles but in the end he shrugged his shoulders saying she was an old ship and these noises are no different from other suites. Hardly 5 star luxury. It seems to me that when a cruise lines purchases a pre built hull and then converts it to a cruise ship it rarely works out well. We have had far worse sea conditions on other ships, 4 days of really high seas crossing the Tasman once, but never have we felt so uncomfortable as we did on the Navigator. Not just us but many other guests. Then of course is the well known vibration problems aft of mid ship. Navigator was not a pleasant introduction to a Regent for us but I hope it will not put us off trying Regent again, but definitely not on Navigator.

Thanks johncb7. There is nothing better than first hand experience to inform those of us considering any ship. This gives me pause to think about whether or not to book an itinerary on the Navigator. It does seem odd that they spend millions retrofitting the ship but don't the things that cause a negative passenger experience.

We were considering booking the ship for a cruise from Miami - Miami with ports in the Caribbean and a sail up the Amazon. Those waters should be calm at that time of year (November) and I wonder if the experience would be that bad. We do want to visit the Amazon River. We haven't sailed into it before. Oceania also offers a similar itinerary the same month on the Sirena. That might be a more enjoyable experience.

In April, we will be taking our first sail on an Oceania small ship, the Insignia. We were concerned about the tiny cabins but we are in contact with people that are on board on the ATW on the ship, and they are not complaining so we are optimistic. In February we are booked on the Sirena so we will have had two experiences of 39 days each to help us decide if we like the experience.

I love this board. People are so willing to share their experiences and that is of great importance. It sure helps to put private shore excursions together too.

Michael

We are doing the Amazon this coming November on the Mariner (a very stable ship). It is a 25 night itinerary and may be the least expensive cruise (per diem) that we have ever booked! While, as said previously, we have sailed on Oceania but our preference is always Regent.

We are doing the Amazon this coming November on the Mariner (a very stable ship). It is a 25 night itinerary and may be the least expensive cruise (per diem) that we have ever booked! While, as said previously, we have sailed on Oceania but our preference is always Regent.

Travelcat2, I saw that cruise but we couldn't work it into our 2017, schedule. You are getting the better of it this year. Great per diem. The best I have seen on Regent. One night longer, a ship with less negative history, and the same price as the 2018, 24 night cruise on the Navigator.

Given that the ship is a re-purposed Russian spy ship, most of the problems seem to come from crossing open seas and all of the reports have been when the swells were high. There don't seem to be any really negative reviews in calm seas. I wonder if the experience would be less traumatic sailing from Miami to a few Caribbean islands and along the South American coast to the Amazon River and return through the Caribbean? We really like the itinerary and the Amazon River is on our bucket list but of course, we don't want to be sick the whole time. What a dilemma!

Hi again Travelcat...I am a bit nervous about the Navigator, since I have been following this years world cruise posts.

We have booked it for the 2019 WC because the ports hit a lot of our bucket list.

Decided on a cat E on deck 7

Hoping we didn't make a BIG mistake!

I can't understand why Regent would send that ship on a WC.

Hope they read these posts!

Hi again Travelcat...I am a bit nervous about the Navigator, since I have been following this years world cruise posts.

We have booked it for the 2019 WC because the ports hit a lot of our bucket list.

Decided on a cat E on deck 7

Hoping we didn't make a BIG mistake!

I can't understand why Regent would send that ship on a WC.

Hope they read these posts!

I can't understand why Regent would use the Navigator on a WC either - especially since the Mariner is perfectly suited for that cruise (and the Voyager has done it several times).

You booked a lower deck which is good. I don't think it is a big mistake. We still swear by taking 1/4 of a Sturgeon (or other seasick pills available in the U.S. - Sturgeon is not) when the seas are suppose to get rough. Once they get rough, we take another 1/4 of a pill if necessary. My DH also uses in electronic wrist band (in addition to the pill). As long as you are prepared, you should be able to weather the seas very well.

I have a friend onboard the Navigator now -- sent her an email about the seas. I'm looking forward to her response. The last I heard, she was enjoying everything about the cruise except for the Smithsonian speakers (but most people tend to not like them as much as the guest lecturers Regent has had on in the past).

Take care!

We all have our preferred ships, but if you look at CC Reviews for Regent, the average "likability" (is that a word?) for each ship is recorded as follows:

Explorer: 66% loved it

Mariner: 72% loved it

Navigator: 69% loved it

Voyager: 63% loved it

Everyone can, and I am sure will, draw their own conclusions

Given that the ship is a re-purposed Russian spy ship, most of the problems seem to come from crossing open seas and all of the reports have been when the swells were high. There don't seem to be any really negative reviews in calm seas. I wonder if the experience would be less traumatic sailing from Miami to a few Caribbean islands and along the South American coast to the Amazon River and return through the Caribbean? We really like the itinerary and the Amazon River is on our bucket list but of course, we don't want to be sick the whole time. What a dilemma!

The Navigator does quite well in the Caribbean and Mediterranean (we have sailed on her in the Caribbean three times). When leaving Miami, there are generally two days of choppy seas but generally not too bad (unless there are storms in the area).

As long as you are prepared, give it a shot. The ship inside is lovely - just miss the forward lounge.