Explorer for New Year cruise

PaulaJK

While on board we signed on for the spring crossing. The bleak and quite chilly weather of our last 2 days [1 at sea, then San Diego] has us 2nd and 3rd thinking this. While we love days at sea, we love sunny days at sea w the ability to sit out.

I would appreciate info re: previous TA crossings...the weather and whether there are additional activities/speakers/entertainers.

Thanks Paula

Average temps in Bermuda for our two days there are high of 69 and low of 58; are these too chilly for you? Average temps in Funchal for when we are there is a high of 67 and a low of 56. Temps should be warmer in med but no guarantees; although i can almost guarantee no snow unless you head to the Alps.

Marc

PS I thought cruise was waitlisted; how did they get you on?

Edited by Marq

Average temps in Bermuda for our two days there are high of 69 and low of 58; are these too chilly for you? Average temps in Funchal for when we are there is a high of 67 and a low of 56. Temps should be warmer in med but no guarantees; although i can almost guarantee no snow unless you head to the Alps.

Marc

PS I thought cruise was waitlisted; how did they get you on?

As I'm sure you will recall, you were 100% correct about temperatures for my recent transatlantic cruise (so much warmer than expected or that we packed for). So, are you predicting cooler weather for our March cruise? Speaking for myself, 67 degrees is very comfortable weather. It was raining on and off when we were in Funchal at the end of November (we have never seen so many rainbows) but the weather was warm.

Also, any predictions for Miami in in the 2nd half of March?

This is trademarked by Regent. Suggest that you contact Regent to get your answer. Seriously, this is a lovely thread, let's keep it that way!

TC- This cruise was our first on Regent. We have primarily sailed on Seabourn and Silversea (at least 15x) and other lines, on occasion. I can say, without equivocation, that it IS the most luxurious ship we have ever sailed on. Everything from the decor, finishings, artwork, dinnerware, public area and suites were fabulous. We were in a penthouse suite on midship deck 7 which was very comfortable during a few rough seas day. It was a bit smaller than I expected but certainly comfortable.

The service from all levels of staff was consistent and outstanding with a few exceptions. . We loved John Barron and Amanda. Olivia, assistant CD, however, was most unenjoyable - very process oriented and non-engaging. The exact opposite of John. Our butler and stewardess were excellent.

We enjoyed all of the restaurants especially Pacific Rim ( ate there 3 times). Prime 7 was our least favorite as we thought the service was slow and food so-so. Compass Rose was great and we always tried to sit in Melbourne's service area. (Great waiter!)

We especially liked the mix of passengers. Very friendly and well-traveled.

We will definitely cruise Regent again and hopefully on the "most luxurious cruise ship- the Explorer " (once the 2018 itineraries are released).

TC- This cruise was our first on Regent. We have primarily sailed on Seabourn and Silversea (at least 15x) and other lines, on occasion. I can say, without equivocation, that it IS the most luxurious ship we have ever sailed on. Everything from the decor, finishings, artwork, dinnerware, public area and suites were fabulous. We were in a penthouse suite on midship deck 7 which was very comfortable during a few rough seas day. It was a bit smaller than I expected but certainly comfortable.

The service from all levels of staff was consistent and outstanding with a few exceptions. . We loved John Barron and Amanda. Olivia, assistant CD, however, was most unenjoyable - very process oriented and non-engaging. The exact opposite of John. Our butler and stewardess were excellent.

We enjoyed all of the restaurants especially Pacific Rim ( ate there 3 times). Prime 7 was our least favorite as we thought the service was slow and food so-so. Compass Rose was great and we always tried to sit in Melbourne's service area. (Great waiter!)

We will definitely cruise Regent again and hopefully on the "most luxurious cruise ship- the Explorer " (once the 2018 itineraries are released).

Your post really made me smile:D I hope that you mentioned Olivia when you were filling out your questionnaire as Regent needs to know these things. To be honest, I don't know if we spoke a word to the Olivia (if she was there) on our 30 nights on the ship in November.

I kind of agree about P7 at night, however, my DH in particular loved their lunch. I, on the other hand, preferred Chartreuse at lunch.

I'll have to remember Melbourne for when we are onboard again in March. We always find a server that we like so they get to know our preferences -- it makes dining easier for both us and our server.

Thanks for your great post!

I also found that interesting about Olivia. She was formerly a dancer with Jean Ann Ryan and has now been promoted to ACD...I wonder if she's still trying to figure it out. I found her very polite when she was saying hello and goodbye but I did try and have a conversation with her about how wonderful the Regent Rewards items were but how disappointed I was that none of them were available in the boutiques, as I felt they would do great if sold there. She quickly agreed but wasn't really into continuing the conversation. Seemed very short and cookie-cutter. Might have caught her at a bad time, not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just realized who Olivia is..... tall, blonde ... we love her. Perhaps you need to know her better. It was Amanda that we hardly spoke to at all.

Olivia put on seminars on meditation ... absolutely wonderful. Just posting to correct my last post.

I just realized who Olivia is..... tall, blonde ... we love her. Perhaps you need to know her better. It was Amanda that we hardly spoke to at all.

Olivia put on seminars on meditation ... absolutely wonderful. Just posting to correct my last post.

Amanda (long blonde hair) was the one who did the meditation seminars. She was always visible and friendly. Olivia (very short blonde hair) did the muster briefings and herded guests into the theatre and off the ship like a drill sargeant.

Amanda (long blonde hair) was the one who did the meditation seminars. She was always visible and friendly. Olivia (very short blonde hair) did the muster briefings and herded guests into the theatre and off the ship like a drill sargeant.

Thanks for the explanation. Things really changed in two months. Amanda was invisible for our entire cruise and, as I said, Olivia did the meditation seminars. Very strange. :confused:

Just spoke with the owner of our Travel Agency, he is on the Explorer now (Regent assigned him a Master suite). The TA short cruise is spectacular he says--the service, cuisine, ambiance is outstanding. He pointed out he feels the Explorer would be almost perfect for a long cruise vs short cruise. He also told me the TA's will be handed the balance of the 2018 Regent Itineraries when on board--tho he was not sure when they would loaded on line--he will ask. Also, let him know that one new contentious subject on the Regent CC board is "The Study." Sent him page one of Davefr's thread. He will go look at the study and at dinner with Jason Montague tonight bring up the subject.

Also, Franck Galzy will be headed to the Voyager and boards next Monday in Auckland per conversation with Mr. Rumor/Rich and Franck earlier in the week.

Any follow-up from your TA as to whether they received the rest of the '18 itineraries while onboard their 2-nighter? "Inquiring minds want to know...."

Kwaj Girl, have reached out to our TA and will let u know soonest once I get more fidelity on the 2018 (later half itineraries). He did tell me (if I recall correctly) that the Explorer will do a 30 day or so cruise focusing on Australia/Oceania. This does not surprise me as we board the voyager for 40 days next week and focus of this itinerary is NZ/Aus/Asia. Hope this helps.

Kwaj Girl, have reached out to our TA and will let u know soonest once I get more fidelity on the 2018 (later half itineraries). He did tell me (if I recall correctly) that the Explorer will do a 30 day or so cruise focusing on Australia/Oceania. This does not surprise me as we board the voyager for 40 days next week and focus of this itinerary is NZ/Aus/Asia. Hope this helps.

<waiting>

Thanks, WesW. We, too, are interested in the Australia circumnavigation.

Hope that you and Ida enjoy the Voyager. As I recall, it was "our" Voyager cruise to India that played a big part in your not booking a Regent cruise until now. I'm interested in learning your "take" of the Voyager after refurbishment and also how your "Meet and Mingle" that you worked through corporate works vs. the "Meet and Greet" that was put together by the team on the Explorer. Lots of good things to learn.

TC, in fact the December Mumbai to Bali cruise on the Voyager was outstanding and did not affect our decision to take a Regent 3+yr sabbatical. We disagreed (at the time, since FDR and I have resolved our differences) with Mark Conroy's departure. We enjoyed that itinerary immensely (as am sure Dennis and you did). Happy to post how our Meet & Mingles go on both Auckland to Singapore and Singapore to Hong Kong.

Here is the latest Regent news about entering (w/a new ship--not the Explorer) in the Australian Market thanks to Laura's posting late last nite:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7467

TC, in fact the December Mumbai to Bali cruise on the Voyager was outstanding and did not affect our decision to take a Regent 3+yr sabbatical. We disagreed (at the time, since FDR and I have resolved our differences) with Mark Conroy's departure. We enjoyed that itinerary immensely (as am sure Dennis and you did). Happy to post how our Meet & Mingles go on both Auckland to Singapore and Singapore to Hong Kong.

Here is the latest Regent news about entering (w/a new ship--not the Explorer) in the Australian Market thanks to Laura's posting late last nite:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7467

Thank you for explaining why you took a 3+ year sabbatical from Regent. I did think that we all enjoyed our Mumbai to Bali cruise. We enjoyed it immensely (but it would take another 30 years for Dennis to get me back to India - despite how wonderful the food was).

The linked article really has me scratching my head. Regent's new ship hasn't even started to be built and is due out in 2020. Very curious!

Kwaj Girl, spoke with my TA, only information they rcvd on board is that one of Regent's ships will do at least a 30 day Australia focused cruise in latter half of 2018 (I thought it was Explorer--could be any one of the ships). Also, they TA's did not get any information on the later half of 2018. Sorry.

TC--concur with Dennis--Taj was visually magnificent, and the India people were wonderfully friendly--one India visit is enough for us. One of the highlights of our Mumbai to Bali voyage was snorkeling in Phuket. And the couple that organized this trip is also joining us for the Auckland to Singapore leg and have organized a private snorkel trip when we dock in Cairns (to Great Barrier Reef).

Also, strongly agree the article poses questions--our TA related the ship under construction was referred to by Jason Montague (President) as Explorer II (as a placeholder)...so where this reference to the Regent Expedition is coming from is the question. Only reference to Regent Seven Seas Expedition ship is on cruise critic if you use google and there is no rssc press release about the new Sydney based ship either.

Edited by WesW

• 3 months later...

Dear Caroldoll,

Was wondering if you could help us w some additional info regarding GS 785. My wife and my son (he'll be 14 months old when the cruise begins) are scheduled to cruise Oct 21st for 14 days in the Med. We have booked 785 due to its large balcony but are debating vs. 1015 with the larger interior and narrower balcony.

Any further insight you could give us as to your experience or even pictures of the cabin and deck would be most welcome.

Thanks so much,:)

David Berger, Dr. Caterina Oneto and Lorenzo

davidericberger@yahoo.com

The Grand Suite, in my opinion is useless. The couch is a sleeper which is very uncomfortable, and the chair is horrible. There is a hallway effect when you go in and to get to the table and chairs is a chore, very tight. This was suite 785. We wanted to have guests, but the layout was dysfunctional.

The doors to La Terraza are not automatic and horribly hard to work.

Lack of TV for three days was horrible and boring. We went through most of the movies that we had not seen.

The food in the buffet, in my opinion is horrible, really horrible. Including breakfast.

The crew were amazing, including...all of them, very friendly and helpful.

The food in Prime 7 was amazing (but not the lobster). Chartreuse, only so-so and Pacific rim, the Lobster is amazing.

The ship is absolutely beautiful. No fault in my opinion.

We took some tours and they were good as tours go, no complaints.

Met Thundery, Oceans and Patters and Snack Daddy. All great people.

We have booked one month next year on The Explorer, but not in a Grand Suite. Hope the next accommodations are much better.

My husband and I used the sinks outside the buffet every day, more than once. Nice touch.

We didn't do a tour in Acapulco. They had half of the Army in the cruise terminal, so I think they are doing damage control.

We Loved the Explorer Lounge with Nature's Rhythm. Fabulous.

The boutiques were boring! LOL, we would have bought a lot more.

Don't flame me which is what usually happens. These are all my opinions.

The Grand Suite has a sleeper bed/couch. This is adequate for a third person. Also, the Grand Suite has almost an entire wall free (I put a large catering table there for my suitcase). I am sure that would be perfect for a rollaway bed.

I am sorry, I do not take pictures. We loved the balcony and we are sure you would too. This suite is very sufficient for three people. Go for it. Just don't think it is good for entertaining.

We will be back on Explorer in December for an entire month. Hoping the Master Suite is even better.

Very, very disappointed that they rescheduled the BEST entertainment which was a real reason to book...to the Voyager. Those people will be lucky to have Nature's Rhythm.

• 2 weeks later...

I did say that, but they contacted me and they will be back on The Explorer June 18 and will be there until after New Years. I am so very, very happy. We will be on two segments from December 8 until early January. We just love them. Will you be on one of those segments. Will be happy to have you join us in The Explorer Lounge some evening.