Advice for clothing for Alaskan cruise

Phillygirl3

Fellow Cruisers: My husband and I are taking an Alaskan cruise on the Mariner near the end of May and I would appreciate any feedback regarding what type of clothing and outerwear we should consider packing for this trip. While I know that the weather is hard to predict at that time, as I have been told that it can start out cold and then get warmer as the day progresses, I'm really concerned about having the proper clothing for excursions. Is a heavy coat necessary, gloves, hat, etc.? Thanks to all who respond to my question.

In my opinion, layers is the best way to go. If you are going to a glacier or into an area where there is snow, you would obviously need a coat and gloves (stores in Ketchikan have really inexpensive coats that work very well).

In terms of non-snow excursions, you will know the forecast the night before (it will be printed in your daily copy of Passages). If it is going to be cold in the morning, wear a jacket -- you could even layer a sweatshirt underneath and a blouse or t-shirt underneath that.

We have had more difficulty with warm weather than cold weather because most of us don't realize how warm the days can get. I had to buy t-shirts in one port because I didn't pack anything for the 80 degree weather that we experienced at one of the ports.

There are many ultra light jackets on the market that you can stuff in the corner or your suitcase and will fluff up nicely when you hang it up - they are warm and have a hood.

I'm sure that others will have suggestions as well.

I've done Alaska in May, and although the layering thing is the way to go, be ready for rain....sorry about that, but if you're ready for it, it won't happen...haha! Gloves and a hat are most necessary. I took a lightweight "Barbour" coat and a Patagonia windbreaker. Both worked great for rain. Layer with a turtleneck, sweater/sweatshirt and you'll be fine. Bring good, comfortable walking shoes that you can wear with socks.

One of my fondest memories of Regent in Alaska was after my daughter and I returned to the ship, cold, and wet like drowned rats. We threw all of our wet clothes in the tub and put on our robes. We ordered tomato soup and grilled cheese (yes, they made it for us). Room services biggest quandry was what kind of wine they should send up that would go with grilled cheese and tomato soup.....but that's Regent for you!!! Loved them for that!

Having lived in South Florida for 30+ years and rarely going north during cold weather, I now have almost no cold weather clothes ! Our Alaska trip last summer in mid June had a first port (sorry I forgot which one...maybe Ketchikan) that had a huge clothing/variety store right off the ship. I bought a fleece type water proof jacket for about $30. Really. And fortunately for our cruise, I only wore it twice.

As everyone has already mentioned layers. And for sure hat, gloves/mittens, wool socks, raincoat, and long underwear if you have it. You'll really want it days you're near glaciers and the breaze is off the ice is at 32 degrees F.

You really made me laugh (thanks). You really need long underwear in August? Guess global warming has changed things dramatically!

Having been in Alaska on regent last may, here is what I took: waterproof jacket that fits over my fleece jacket, good fleece jacket, some turtleneck sweaters, jeans, gloves and a hat.

I also took and wore shorts and a t shirt. The temps in Alaska are highly variable.

Bring good walking or hiking shoes.

The trading company in Ketchikan has good prices.

Since the OP is speaking to a May cruise, all of the above mentioned gear is important, whether you get it in Alaska or come with it. Rachel pretty much had the bottom line. I've been there in May. Can be beautiful or it can be pouring and cold. I follow the "umbrella theory". If you take it, you won't need it. If you don't you'll drown or freeze your *ss off.

Fellow Cruisers: My husband and I are taking an Alaskan cruise on the Mariner near the end of May and I would appreciate any feedback regarding what type of clothing and outerwear we should consider packing for this trip. While I know that the weather is hard to predict at that time, as I have been told that it can start out cold and then get warmer as the day progresses, I'm really concerned about having the proper clothing for excursions. Is a heavy coat necessary, gloves, hat, etc.? Thanks to all who respond to my question.

Hi Philly girl from another Philly girl.

My husband and I will be on the Mariner 5/24 to 5/31.

Is this your cruise?

Sharon:)

Here's another Philly girl, to add something additional to all the other excellent advice. I like those "convertible" pants, i.e, the kind that are long, but have a zipper above the knee so that you can turn them into shorts if it gets warm during an excursion. (They have lots of pockets too.) They're light-weight and water resistant. Mine are Columbia, but many companies make them. I tend to get cold, so I bring long underwear as well, the kind that wicks moisture (top and bottom). And I brought a scarf for around my neck. And hat with flaps (my husband just brought a watch cap and was fine.) We were fortunate enough to have pleasant weather, but even so, I often was somewhat bundled up. The recommendation to bring a good lightweight (preferably water proof/resistant) back pack is important.

Edited by poss

So nice to hear that someone from Philly area will be on the 5/24 cruise. Yes, we will be there, (God willing). Alaska was never on our bucket list, but we are looking forward to it. So we will definitely have to meet. Chances are that we are flying out of Philly together, if you are flying into Vancouver a day before the cruise. If not, let's make a plan to meet.

While we have no use for backpacks, we did purchase this jacket (women's version) and have used it at home for 35 degree weather (with no wind - if there is wind, I'd suggest something else). You can stuff this anywhere in your suitcase or carryon and it will puff up for you. http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2550045/womens-tek-gear-hooded-packable-puffer-jacket.jsp?ci_mcc=ci&utm_campaign=LADIES%20OUTERWEAR&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=bing&CID=shopping20&gclid=CKDLp_Pc1NECFU4JfwodtSsP4A&gclsrc=ds&dclid=CMKDsPPc1NECFVR_Ygod3eILvg

While we have no use for backpacks, we did purchase this jacket (women's version) and have used it at home for 35 degree weather (with no wind - if there is wind, I'd suggest something else). You can stuff this anywhere in your suitcase or carryon and it will puff up for you. http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2550045/womens-tek-gear-hooded-packable-puffer-jacket.jsp?ci_mcc=ci&utm_campaign=LADIES%20OUTERWEAR&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=bing&CID=shopping20&gclid=CKDLp_Pc1NECFU4JfwodtSsP4A&gclsrc=ds&dclid=CMKDsPPc1NECFVR_Ygod3eILvg

cute jacket, great price!

So nice to hear that someone from Philly area will be on the 5/24 cruise. Yes, we will be there, (God willing). Alaska was never on our bucket list, but we are looking forward to it. So we will definitely have to meet. Chances are that we are flying out of Philly together, if you are flying into Vancouver a day before the cruise. If not, let's make a plan to meet.

We are flying into Vancouver on Saturday the 20th so we can spend a few days precruise as we have never been there before.

Would love to meet for a drink .

Will firm up plans as the date approaches.

Sharon