Cuba this spring:from Cruise Industry News

xrvlcruiser

We did go to the Tropicana show when we were in Havana. Some people tend to forget that this is a show that has gone basically unchanged for decades (which some of the review I'll link will show). It definitely brings you back to the old day - even the ladies in the show are not "enhanced" in any way.

It was a bit pricey but, for us, it was worth it. As I recall, they gave us a half-pint of rum and a cola (not "Coke" as it is from the U.S.) along with some type of munchies. For those interested in nostalgia, and if you have the time, this is a must-see!

Almost forgot the link from Trip Advisor (Cruise Critic's sister company) https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147271-d147979-Reviews-Tropicana-Havana_Ciudad_de_la_Habana_Province_Cuba.html

Not sure how up to date this is but it gives prices and a bit more information http://www.havana-guide.com/havana-tropicana.html.

Edited by Travelcat2

For those going on the Cuba cruises Oceania has now posted 15 excursions on their Cuba stops. They are only showing options for the first day, so its not clear whether there will be additional options the second day. I assume ours will be similar.

Taxare, Thank you for the information. I check the Regent site almost every day. We are really looking forward to this cruise. And Travelcat2, the Tropicana is on Oceania's list and ours! :D

Good to hear that the Tropicana show is on Oceania's list. I did look at a couple of the offerings on the Regent website and, as always, are surprised at the cost (and these are lower than normal). Most of these should be included for Regent with the possible exceptions of excursions that include lunch. I'm looking forward to reading reviews from CC posters.

Interestingly, while Regent is fully booked up, for their "Havana" cruises, Oceania is not. On the other hand Regent's rock bottom prices are no doubt the reason.

P.S. Just checked out the Tropicana show on Oceania and can't believe how expensive it is for two people and it appears that food now has to be purchased. People that are adventurous can easily do it on their own for much less money. We felt very safe in Cuba and had no difficulty using taxi's. I suppose that with increased tourism there will be increased pricing.

Edited by Travelcat2

Yes, increased pricing is definitely on the way as well as new hotels being built and improving the infrastructure. That is to be expected..

When my grandparents were alive they traveled to Havana for long weekends and that was the golden era during Batista. Many of our friends are Cuban and look forward to visiting the island where their parents are from. We look forward to visiting Cuba in the future.

Edited by Suite Travels

Good to hear that the Tropicana show is on Oceania's list. I did look at a couple of the offerings on the Regent website and, as always, are surprised at the cost (and these are lower than normal). Most of these should be included for Regent with the possible exceptions of excursions that include lunch. I'm looking forward to reading reviews from CC posters.

Interestingly, while Regent is fully booked up, for their "Havana" cruises, Oceania is not. On the other hand Regent's rock bottom prices are no doubt the reason.

P.S. Just checked out the Tropicana show on Oceania and can't believe how expensive it is for two people and it appears that food now has to be purchased. People that are adventurous can easily do it on their own for much less money. We felt very safe in Cuba and had no difficulty using taxi's. I suppose that with increased tourism there will be increased pricing.

I considered booking Regent's "Tropicana Cabaret", but instead chose "The Rhythm and the Sounds of Cafe Taberna" with a performance by Septento Matamoros. It's free. It's at 8:00pm, has the knife and fork icon so it must include dinner or ?

Do you think this was a good choice ? I have no idea.

I considered booking Regent's "Tropicana Cabaret", but instead chose "The Rhythm and the Sounds of Cafe Taberna" with a performance by Septento Matamoros. It's free. It's at 8:00pm, has the knife and fork icon so it must include dinner or ?

Do you think this was a good choice ? I have no idea.

Did you see this on the Oceania website? I still can't see excursions on the Regent website for Havana. The excursion you chose is probably fine. Keep in mind that the shows in Cuba are not as polished as a Las Vegas show but they are talented dancers and musicians. IMO, the performance(s) you see in April will be much more authentic than once the big hotels and shows will be in a few years.

It will be interesting to see if Regent charges for the Tropicana show. The biggest difference will likely be the fact that it is outdoors and is a very unique environment. It is also not walking distance so you get nice ride up to the area where the show is performed (I remember feeling sorry for the people that live right next to the theater as they have to listen to the same music all the time - until quite late).

Looking forward to seeing you in March:)

My husband and I went to Cuba the year before Obama relaxed relations with the US. I agree with most of those who posted that Cuba cannot handle any large influx of tourists, especially those on the mega cruise ships. The infrastructure is not capable of providing the services that cruise passengers come to expect. Yes, there is a large indoor market for souvenir shopping and I'm sure more shopping opportunities have emerged since the change in relations, but restaurants are not numerous and the food that we ate while there was mediocre. Yes, we did go on cultural/educational tours but we were free to walk along the Malecon and go to any nightclub in the area of our hotel. Havana is certainly an interesting place to visit for no other reason but to see the beauty that must have existed before the buildings became crumbling relics of the past. We did take medicines and other supplies directly to the people in the housing complex that we visited. Visiting Hemingway's home and places where he wrote was a highlight as well as standing in Revolucion Plaza looking at the metal outline of Che on one of the government buildings was, also, a highlight for me. As one poster said, "I don't know if I have a desire to return to Cuba, knowing that it will be overrun by tourists looking for fast food and souvenirs. I can't imagine thousands of passengers disembarking and attempting to secure a ride in one of the 1950s cars.

It will be interesting to see if Regent charges for the Tropicana show. .......

The Havana Tropicana Show is rack priced at $99.00 per person.

The full ShoreEx for Mars 11 voyage has been out for advanced booking for several days. Our copy of excursions was sent to us by our agent and ShoreEx booking was by phone. No online bookings are being taken at this time. Don't know why.

J

The Havana Tropicana Show is rack priced at $99.00 per person.

The full ShoreEx for Mars 11 voyage has been out for advanced booking for several days. Our copy of excursions was sent to us by our agent and ShoreEx booking was by phone. No online bookings are being taken at this time. Don't know why.

J

Thanks much for the explanation. That is about what we paid when we went to the show but it did include the small bottle of rum and something to munch on.

Just thought more about it....... if the rack price is $99.00 per person I would think that Regent would offer it to their passengers as an included excursion. Just my thoughts.

Edited by Travelcat2

As of last night, excursions are still available for Cuba and the are FREE.

Tourguide

Actually - they were finally loaded on the website overnight. There are a few that aren't free. "Modern Havana in an American Classic" is $149 (per vehicle which seats 2), "The Vinales Valley - A UNESCO World Heritage Site" (8 hour tour) is $99.00 and "The Legendary - Tropicana Cabaret" is $99.00.

Andrea, We booked the Modern Havana in an American Classic Car tour that says $149. per vehicle but when I booked it on the phone several days ago, the Rep said the price was $105. per vehicle. I was very pleased, not sure whether the price dropped or ?? why...SOLD, I thought it best not to inquire :)

Edited by petlover

Andrea, We booked the Modern Havana in an American Classic Car tour that says $149. per vehicle but when I booked it on the phone several days ago, the Rep said the price was $105. per vehicle. I was very pleased, not sure whether the price dropped or ?? why...SOLD, I thought it best not to inquire :)

Nice job Marcie! I need to hang out with you more - you always have great luck!