Regent V Silversea and Seabourn

fudge

Hi,

Please be gentle. We have cruised with Silversea and Seabourn, can anyone please tell me how Regent compares please?

The reason I ask is that my TA has just mailed me with some really good offers for Regent. Obviously I am apprehensive in changing cruise lines.

If anyone has sailed with SS or SB what suite would be comparable with say a Veranda suite? I am looking at a concierge suite.

Any advise would be appreciated, thank you.:)

Hi and welcome to the Regent board. We have sailed Silversea three times - on the Shadow, Whisper and Spirit and have also toured the smaller ship. When making a comparison, which ship would you like to compare as the sizes differ depending upon the ship (both Regent and Silversea)?

To be honest, while we love the Shadow and Whisper (probably because they are almost twins), we do not care for the Spirit.

In terms of Regent ships, the largest "regular" (or veranda) suites are the largest on the Voyager and Navigator (note: the Navigator does has some suites with no balcony but the suite size is quite large). Regent's newest ship is difficult to compare to anything so I'll leave it out of this post but can elaborate if you'd like me to.

In terms of service, we find both cruise lines equal. Food is subjective but we prefer Regent's Compass Rose over The Restaurant on Silversea but La Terrazza on Silversea over Sette Mari on Regent. Regent's buffet restaurant (La Veranda) has more offerings than on Silversea but we love the sashimi offerings on Silversea which, as I recall, is offered every day.

One big difference with Regent is their dress code - Elegant Casual -- there are no formal nights (but there is "formal optional" on itineraries over 15 nights). So, Regent is considerably less formal than Silversea. Also, the passenger mix is different. While Silversea typically has the majority of passengers from Europe, the majority of passengers on Regent are from the U.S.

Hope this helps. Would be happy to answer any other questions. We have not sailed Seabourn due to their smoking policy (which I believe just changed) but have also heard positive things about them.

Edited by Travelcat2

Travelcat2

Thank you so much for your prompt and very informative reply.

We are very flexible in terms of food and service, I agree it is indeed very subjective.

We do like to dress formally but can adapt easily to go with the flow.

While you are not in your suite for a lot of the time space and comfort are important. We might just bite the bullet and go for this cruise Venice to Monte Carlo 10 nights.

Which ship is doing the Monte Carlo itinerary?

Also, you can certainly dress up - I wasn't trying to imply that everyone dresses casually. At least 50% of the men wear sports jackets on "special nights" (like the night of the Captain's Reception) and when dining in specialty restaurants. Some men even wear suits and ties (generally not people from the U.S.).

I neglected to mention that the smallest "regular" (aka veranda) suites are on the Mariner but they have the most room in their public areas while the Navigator has the least amount of public space (probably because she is the smallest ship by far).

Whatever you decide, have a great time!

Hi,

The ship is the Voyager, the suites and "on board life" sounds great, why not change? A change is as good as a rest as they say.

I am old fashioned and do wear a shirt, tie, suit but thats just me, I think Regent would suit us just fine.

Thank you once again for the information.:D

We have sailed all three lines and would rate them in order Seabourn , Regent, Silversea based on our overall experience. Others will have a different opinion for their own reasons. The fact is that all three offer more or less the same product, the devil is in the detail and what's important to you. If you've found a good deal with Regent then give them a go!

We've only sailed Silversea (near 40 days this year, 90+ days since 2006) and Regent (have 40 days booked on the Voyager a week from today, over100 days since 2004). We like both lines like RustyRollock says each line has their good/not so good points. The gym on the Voyager is so much better than what most SS ships offer. We also (after four years away from Regent) look forward to no formal nites--we will try to only use two suitcases for our cruise. Cuisine is excellent on both lines, agree with TC (lunch is better on SS) but we're excited to try the revamped Compass Rose menu. Have fun selecting your cruise.

Hi,

Please be gentle. We have cruised with Silversea and Seabourn, can anyone please tell me how Regent compares please?

The reason I ask is that my TA has just mailed me with some really good offers for Regent. Obviously I am apprehensive in changing cruise lines.

If anyone has sailed with SS or SB what suite would be comparable with say a Veranda suite? I am looking at a concierge suite.

Any advise would be appreciated, thank you.:)

We tried Regent recently (Explorer Miami to LA) having sailed on Silversea and Seabourn many times. Perhaps it was the atmosphere of a holiday cruise plus sailing on the "most luxurious cruise ship" but we found Regent better in several ways--more consistent in providing superior service, more dining options and high quality of food, more friendly passenger mix, and amenities provided. Go for it as you won't be disappointed.

One last question please, is there much difference between a "normal" Veranda suite and a concierge suit?

They are virtually identical in size and shape with the only difference, the location. There are also a few differences in terms of amenities on board. Try this link for a complete description http://www.rssc.com/experience/concierge-amenities/ Many people say these differences aren't worth the price differences, only you can determine that.

We do a concierge suite for the 10% discount on purchased wine. We always have a large OBC so DH delights in ordering a special bottle of wine at dinner. I'm the drinker in the family so certainly enjoy the wines and spirits Regent serves that are included as well.

We do a concierge suite for the 10% discount on purchased wine. We always have a large OBC so DH delights in ordering a special bottle of wine at dinner. I'm the drinker in the family so certainly enjoy the wines and spirits Regent serves that are included as well.

We were looking at an F2 for an upcoming cruise but also decided to bump up to a Cat E. Taking into account the 'included' hotel night, transfers, discounts on booze and excursions, and on Explorer, the larger balcony, the price difference was a wash. Oh, and throwing in the cashmere blanket was just the icing on the cake. :p

We were looking at an F2 for an upcoming cruise but also decided to bump up to a Cat E. Taking into account the 'included' hotel night, transfers, discounts on booze and excursions, and on Explorer, the larger balcony, the price difference was a wash. Oh, and throwing in the cashmere blanket was just the icing on the cake. :p

Think that your decision is a good one. IMO, having the included hotel night is important if you want to use Regent Air and have transfers. We were in an F1 suite for 2 weeks of our 4 week B2B cruises and had to arrive the day of embarkation in order to get transportation to the ship. Since we were in Tel Aviv, having transportation to Haifa was a big deal. Fortunately the ship was overnighting in Haifa, we did fly in the same day but would not have risked it normally.

So, fudge, while I may not have recommended a concierge level suite in the past, I do think it is worth the extra money now. However, if money is an issue and you plan on doing your own and transportation, the F1/F2 suites are just fine.

Help please!

We are booking a cruise with Regent, in a concierge suite cat E. We have a choice of 902 or 903. Our TA has advised a cat D concierge suit for a better location 940. Is there any difference in the suits apart from the location?

The cat d suite is £200 (sterling) more.

Help please!

We are booking a cruise with Regent, in a concierge suite cat E. We have a choice of 902 or 903. Our TA has advised a cat D concierge suit for a better location 940. Is there any difference in the suits apart from the location?

The cat d suite is £200 (sterling) more.

Suites 902 and 903 are identical (as is 940). There are a couple of considerations. You are likely to feel the motion more in a forward suite than you would feel in a mid-ship suite. Also, does it matter to you if you are in a port or starboard suite? We prefer that the sun does not set on our side of the ship because it can get too warm. Others like the heat. Just another thing to consider:).

Edited by Travelcat2

Travelcat

You really are a mind of information thank you.

Because its a Mediterranean cruise it "should" be pretty calm. If there is no difference in the suites we may go for the front end.

...Also, does it matter to you if you are in a port or starboard suite? We prefer that the sun does not set on our side of the ship because it can get too warm.

You can get a rough idea of where the sun will be oriented based on your projected track, but once you're docked, there's really no way to know which way you'll be facing based on how and where you're tied up, correct?

You can get a rough idea of where the sun will be oriented based on your projected track, but once you're docked, there's really no way to know which way you'll be facing based on how and where you're tied up, correct?

True and sometimes it doesn't matter. For cruises that we will book on Wednesday, there was a clear side of the ship that we wanted to be on but which side will face the sun when docked is a crap shoot. Both "new" cruises are during the winter so extreme heat should not be a factor (unlike our upcoming Amazon cruise which will be hot wherever we are - whatever we are doing and whichever side of the ship we are on:( ).

Hey there, we are looking at a 20 day voyage on the Regent Navigator. As this will be our first cruise in that class of travel I am not sure if this is the right ship to do it on. If anyone has cruised on the 'Navigator' would you kindly asses it's relative value to others in the Regent fleet or say Crystal-which we love.

Thank you.

Brian

True and sometimes it doesn't matter. For cruises that we will book on Wednesday, there was a clear side of the ship that we wanted to be on but which side will face the sun when docked is a crap shoot. Both "new" cruises are during the winter so extreme heat should not be a factor (unlike our upcoming Amazon cruise which will be hot wherever we are - whatever we are doing and whichever side of the ship we are on:( ).

Well thats it booked, looking forward very much to our first Regent cruise.

Our TA has asked if we would consider an upgrade should one become available? On other cruise lines there have been varied opinions on this offer, surely an upgrade is what it means, or does it? :confused:

True upgrades do occur but really really infrequently. What they are talking about is really an up sell where you pay for the upgrade varying prices but less than the fare differences.

Hope this makes sense. No real rhyme or reason for the upswell but if you give your TA the parameters of what you will pay for what grade suite better chance if they get a call as if you don't take it, it will probably be gone quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app