Disabling Ocean Medallion

toothmaker

I was just reading (on the Princess website)about the benefits of the Ocean Medallion . It was stated that the medallion could be disabled by a Princess employee if one desired. If that is so, will a cruise card then be issued? I'm intrigued by the medallion but was wondering what the alternative is.

I was just reading (on the Princess website)about the benefits of the Ocean Medallion . It was stated that the medallion could be disabled by a Princess employee if one desired. If that is so, will a cruise card then be issued? I'm intrigued by the medallion but was wondering what the alternative is.

The way I read it is that the medallion is your digital ID. If you purchase a drink the waiter's scanner will pick up the digital ID and charge it to your account, just like it picks up the ID from the cruise card. I think that the waiter will have a tablet device that will display your name and photo to assure the person ordering has their own medallion.

Beyond that there will the ability for you to load personal data into the system. You can load as much, as little, or none. You can elect to be bothered all day with ads for art and jewelry sales, or not bothered at all. It is your choice.

Some other cruise lines use wrist bands in place of cruise cards. The medallion is just another version of a wrist band. I don't think there will be an option to have a cruise card in place of the medallion, but can't be sure. Up front I don't like the idea of no receipts, but I could be reading that part incorrectly. I like hard copy of my purchases in case of an issue.

The way I read it is that the medallion is your digital ID. If you purchase a drink the waiter's scanner will pick up the digital ID and charge it to your account, just like it picks up the ID from the cruise card. I think that the waiter will have a tablet device that will display your name and photo to assure the person ordering has their own medallion.

Beyond that there will the ability for you to load personal data into the system. You can load as much, as little, or none. You can elect to be bothered all day with ads for art and jewelry sales, or not bothered at all. It is your choice.

Some other cruise lines use wrist bands in place of cruise cards. The medallion is just another version of a wrist band. I don't think there will be an option to have a cruise card in place of the medallion, but can't be sure. Up front I don't like the idea of no receipts, but I could be reading that part incorrectly. I like hard copy of my purchases in case of an issue.

We haven't been issued receipts for quite some time now....

It sort of indicated that you could revert to the old cruise card but it really wasn't that clear.

I agree that Princess has not made it clear. In the press conference they talk about alternative means without the medallion. The CEO says that if your spooked about the medallion you don't have to use it or you can limit it's use. I assume limiting it's use is the safe mode but it doesn't explain the first half of the sentence.

I agree that Princess has not made it clear. In the press conference they talk about alternative means without the medallion. The CEO says that if your spooked about the medallion you don't have to use it or you can limit it's use. I assume limiting it's use is the safe mode but it doesn't explain the first half of the sentence.

Soon all the holdouts will have to accept the new technology like it or not.

My guess is they everyone will get to like the new system.

We will be sailing on the Sept. TA. I wonder if in the process of adding the technology to incorporate the new system there will be disruptions in the present systems: installing medallion sensors to each stateroom and removing the cruise card slots...I would think there will be some amount of installation disruptions in the passageways as installation is done. I'll not worry about it, but you know Murphy's Law will come into play.

Looking at the video of the new door locks it doesn't look as if there is a way to use a cruise card. I have seen Princess reps say that the medallion can be set to only use "safety mode" which still unlocks the door and allows them to "see" you so they know if you are at muster, etc. It also allows them to know if you are at your station during a disaster. I really don't think they are going to allow it to be completely disabled nor do I think there will be an option to use a cruise card.

I know there is a lot of other info going around but it's from Cruise Critic or other sources and doesn't seem to jibe with what Princess is saying.

Tony Roberts from Princess gave a press release session and took questions. At about the 16 minute mark someone asks about the Big Brother issue. That portion starts

When he is asked about the Big Brother aspect and people who may not feel comfortable with the medallion and would prefer the old key card method Tony Roberts doesn't mention a cruise card at all. He merely says you can turn off the preferential data gathering portion and only use it in Safety Mode which will open your door, allow purchases, and entry on the shipjust the same as the cruise card does today. (My emphasis but his words, not mine.) At no point does he say you will be able to completely disable it or that you can use a cruise card instead.

The full presentation starts

. Edited by Thrak

Whether or not the Medallion can be disabled for certain functions, I'm almost sure it will have to stay activated to enter your cabin & both leave & reenter the ship. I also doubt if it can be disabled to not show your location in case they need to find you although you will have a choice to hide from other passengers.

Why anyone would prefer not to be seen to me is a mystery and can be defeated by placing it inside an RFID wallet of possibly some aluminum foil.

I am concerned about the "privacy" issues with this technology - I really don't like anyone knowing where I am at any particular time.

You are on a ship. There is nowhere else to go. Unless you are trying to secretly visit your sister-in-law's cabin and don't want your wife to know what the heck do you have to hide? I really don't get it! They don't care where you are but want to be able to find you in an emergency and also want to know if you attended muster, etc. You will be able to set it so that other members of your party can't locate you but can't set it so that the crew can't find you. The crew doesn't care where you are or what you are doing unless you try to go somewhere that you aren't allowed to be. If you have ever ordered food or a drink of any kind they absolutely knew where you were at that time as you used your cruise card.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here but I sincerely don't understand what the big deal is about this.

Edit: Hmmm... Your profile says you are 14 years old. Is this perhaps what the issue is all about?

Edited by Thrak

I am concerned about the "privacy" issues with this technology - I really don't like anyone knowing where I am at any particular time.

When you're on the ship, they know where you are because of security cameras and facial recognition software. Unless you hide in your stateroom or a restroom all day.

You are on a ship. There is nowhere else to go. Unless you are trying to secretly visit your sister-in-law's cabin and don't want your wife to know what the heck do you have to hide? I really don't get it! They don't care where you are but want to be able to find you in an emergency and also want to know if you attended muster, etc. You will be able to set it so that other members of your party can't locate you but can't set it so that the crew can't find you. The crew doesn't care where you are or what you are doing unless you try to go somewhere that you aren't allowed to be. If you have ever ordered food or a drink of any kind they absolutely knew where you were at that time as you used your cruise card.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here but I sincerely don't understand what the big deal is about this.

Edit: Hmmm... Your profile says you are 14 years old. Is this perhaps what the issue is all about?

If, as you say, they don't care where you are, why have they instigated a system that lets them track you.

When you're on the ship, they know where you are because of security cameras and facial recognition software. Unless you hide in your stateroom or a restroom all day.

So they must want to know where you are then.

If, as you say, they don't care where you are, why have they instigated a system that lets them track you.

So that you can be found my someone looking for you (but only if they have your secret code).

Actually this is a great idea & there's no one who really wants to find me other than my wife.

So that you can be found my someone looking for you (but only if they have your secret code).

Actually this is a great idea & there's no one who really wants to find me other than my wife.

But Mrs Gut's the one I don't want finding me, she'll just want me to do something with her, or even worse shop.

Is this "medallion" something that one must wear around the neck? A watch-style apparatus? If it is flat and can just be put in a pocket like a seapass card which is not bulky, then I have no problem with it. But the other two ways I mentioned I don't like at all.