Pool Life Jackets

CNDKangaroo

He doesn't use anything, sometimes flippers and a kickboard but usually nothing. However, he is in a dedicated lane, no other swimmers except him and his coach (who is in water). I am mostly thinking about the pool being busy which will be a different experience for him. I'll check out the puddle jumpers thank you.

As antho says, treading water is really the key, especially if he is wearing some kind of flotation device. The pools are very crowded, there are no lanes, and swimming more than a stroke or two, even for a child, would be an accomplishment, without running into someone.

No it is up to parents to watch their kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While I can't disagree with commentary, are you sure about the no part? On our most recent cruise aboard the Pride, there was a whole rack of children's life jackets around the main pool.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yup, this is brand new. Bad idea by the line, but they'll learn when they get sued.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

That's a pretty stupid comment. Having life jackets readily available for kids is never a bad idea. You must have this notion in your head that parents are just going to improperly strap their toddler in a life jacket, toss them into a pool, and walk away. Not only are they a safety aid but a teaching aid. Seen them on my other cruises and have yet to hear about a line being sued over them. I have read about kids drowning without them ...... :rolleyes: Edited by tallnthensome

That's a pretty stupid comment. Having life jackets readily available for kids is never a bad idea. You must have this notion in your head that parents are just going to improperly strap their toddler in a life jacket, toss them into a pool, and walk away. Not only are they a safety aid but a teaching aid. Seen them on my other cruises and have yet to hear about a line being sued over them. I have read about kids drowning without them ...... :rolleyes:

Actually this is based on my real life experience with them at pools. I teach swimming lessons and have my Red Cross certificate to do so. Of the parents I personally observe put their child in a life jacket, more than half do it incorrectly. With more than a quarter do it so incorrectly as to be a danger to the child. Add to this that a large majority of said parents then proceed to leave their child unsupervised.

I have witnessed parents put lifejackets on and then THROW their child in the water. The lifejacket is pushed up by the force of the water, trapping the child's arms up in the air and their head underwater.

Lifejackets are NOT a teaching aid. They do not hold the child's body in any sort of position for them to learn how to swim.

No, I don't have a "notion" I have real world experience, and the FACT that drowning is the leading cause of death for children under the age of five in this country.

Actually this is based on my real life experience with them at pools. I teach swimming lessons and have my Red Cross certificate to do so. Of the parents I personally observe put their child in a life jacket, more than half do it incorrectly. With more than a quarter do it so incorrectly as to be a danger to the child. Add to this that a large majority of said parents then proceed to leave their child unsupervised.

I have witnessed parents put lifejackets on and then THROW their child in the water. The lifejacket is pushed up by the force of the water, trapping the child's arms up in the air and their head underwater.

Lifejackets are NOT a teaching aid. They do not hold the child's body in any sort of position for them to learn how to swim.

No, I don't have a "notion" I have real world experience, and the FACT that drowning is the leading cause of death for children under the age of five in this country.

The only comment I will make on your post is that"no one " will learn to swim in a cruise ship pool.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No it is up to parents to watch their kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Right, because putting a life jacket on a child obviously means a parent isn't going to watch the child...?

As a parent I will be in the pool with my children and I would also like them to be in a life jacket so that I don't have to hold on to them the entire time as there is no shallow end for them to stand up on their own and have a little paddle around. If they are in a life jacket or the like then we can swim together, arms reach and we can play together in the pool which is much more fun and interactive then me trying to hold onto a wet, slippery child while also trying to keep myself afloat. As a parent of children who are actively involved in our local swim club I am well aware of the dangers associated with the water and keeping a close and vigilant watch on children, all children, even those who swim well.

Right, because putting a life jacket on a child obviously means a parent isn't going to watch the child...?

As a parent I will be in the pool with my children and I would also like them to be in a life jacket so that I don't have to hold on to them the entire time as there is no shallow end for them to stand up on their own and have a little paddle around. If they are in a life jacket or the like then we can swim together, arms reach and we can play together in the pool which is much more fun and interactive then me trying to hold onto a wet, slippery child while also trying to keep myself afloat. As a parent of children who are actively involved in our local swim club I am well aware of the dangers associated with the water and keeping a close and vigilant watch on children, all children, even those who swim well.

Just because YOU would never do that, it does not mean that OTHER parents would the same as you. I have seen irresponsible parenting everywhere I have gone. People think others will watch out for their kids, or nothing bad while ever happen to my kids. I cannot how many times I have seen unsupervised kids in a pool with no parent in sight.

I too think that providing life jackets for kids in the pool is going to create a big liability for the cruise lines when something inevitably happens when an unsupervised child is injured or dies when using one of them and no parent is around.

I know we live in a sue happy society but I highly doubt Carnival is gonna get sued for providing children lifejackets in the very slim chance a parent puts it on their child wrong and something happens. Lol. You pretty much sign your life away when you agree to the cruise contract that no one ever reads.

Edited by ryano

Let's pretend we are at a meeting of lawyers and PR people at Carnival.

The question is raised about children in the pools and their safety. The choices are to provide PFDs or not and the potential ramifications. We all are aware of how litigious our society is, so you can rest assured if a child drowns Carnival is facing a lawsuit accompanied by new stories etc.

Scenario One: Carnival has a rack of PFDs by the pools and instructions on how to properly wear them. A family improperly puts their child in a PFD. the child goes in the pool and the worst thing happens and the child drowns. The lawsuit centers around the technical details of PFDs, how they were attached, the adequacy of the instructions etc..

Scenario Two: A family is on a cruise and want to take their child in the pool. They ask if there are PFDs available for children. The answer is "no." So the parents decide to 'be very careful' and take the child in the pool. The worst happens and the child drowns. The lawsuit and PR spin will be "We asked for a PFD for our poor child and CARNIVAL REFUSED!

Which lawsuit looks worse for Carnival PR wise and which one gets a huge award and which one is settled out of court?

I am pretty sure Carnival is far better off being proactive and providing PFDs.