Who sailed the Carnival Mardi Gras?

Abram797

I cruised on her like 5 times in the 80s. I was in high school and the first year we went we did the 3 day cruise, after that it was 4 day cruises for us. We just kept adding more people to our group. I just found some pictures from then. I'm trying to get Carnival to accept them as past cruises so I would have 10 cruises under my belt..:). I was bitten by the cruise bug then and keep needing more.

i cruised on the Mardi Gras in 1983. went with my travel school. i was in college at the time and this was our class trip. i was 19. had a great time and thought that she was HUGE!. didn't see the whole ship and got lost quite often on her. we are going on the Dream in 2 1/2 weeks. can't wait:)

That was my first cruise. I remember the bathroom only has a toilet and shower in it. And the shower was just a shower head on a hose attached to the wall - you'd have to pull a curtain across to stop water going on toilet (which never worked - so paper always got wet). Water would leak into the cabin. The sink was in the cabin. I had to go down the hall to a little "room" to dry my hair, there wasn't a plug available in the cabin.

I cruised on her like 5 times in the 80s. I was in high school and the first year we went we did the 3 day cruise, after that it was 4 day cruises for us. We just kept adding more people to our group. I just found some pictures from then. I'm trying to get Carnival to accept them as past cruises so I would have 10 cruises under my belt..:). I was bitten by the cruise bug then and keep needing more.

Wish I still had pics!! That was 2 husbands ago and those pictures are long gone or I'd have been Platinum ages ago!!

i cruised on the Mardi Gras in 1983. went with my travel school. i was in college at the time and this was our class trip. i was 19. had a great time and thought that she was HUGE!. didn't see the whole ship and got lost quite often on her. we are going on the Dream in 2 1/2 weeks. can't wait:)

I remember thinking the same thing about the Carnivale when I first saw her at dock in Miami. This is exactly why I love the Fantasy class now. While absolutely huge by the Carnivale's standards, I just don't like the "bigger" ships. I'll sail them though, lol! We have the Miracle planned for November and want to do the Dream in 2011 for no other reason than to sail a cove balcony. Give me a Fantasy class any day though, and I am a happy camper!!

I know I'm dating myself, but are they any cruisers out there that ever sailed on the Mardi Gras? We sailed back in 1986 and that seems like centuries ago.

Here's one!!!!

I sailed that little gem on it's SECOND cruise, just missing the first one that got hung up on a sandbar returning to Miami.

Over the years, Mardi Gras and I saw a lot of each other. I loved that little ship..as well as the Carnivale and Festivale when they were added.

LOVED all the inlaid woods, real brass, teakwood decks..and all the fun. The ship rocked 24 hours a day.

Micky Arison used to make unannounced appearances on those first ships, boarding in Miami "incognito", sailing for a day or two and getting off along the way. He was hands-on that his ships were doing what he wanted and that the folks were having a great time. He also did cabin inspections and ate at every meal..... At least one evening when he was onboard, there was an open bar - all on him - and we partied til dawn.

I owned a little travel agency during those years and we had at least one group a month on Mardi Gras, encouraged by Carnival's very young sales reps who gave us all the assistance needed to attract groups and sail on their ships.

Bob Dickinson (yep, Uncle Bob) was Sales Manager for the tri-state area at that time and he had a Cracker-Jack team of Reps. At that time, Carnival was sold exclusively through travel agencies...and they worked with us on getting best prices, etc., to fill their ship.

All the stodgey old cruise lines laughed at the upstart Carnival and predicted their quick demise. Interesting that Carnival now OWNS them....HA....

EmpOfCanada04MGras.jpg

• Like 1

Nice Pic. I had never heard of the Mardi Gras. Makes the Holiday look big.

MG was Carnival's first and only ship at the time [1972]. It was built in 1961 as an ocean liner and was named "Empress of Canada." It was 42,000 tons.

Holiday was built in 1985 and is actually 46,000 tons, actually a little bigger but designed as a cruise ship. MG ran aground in Government Cut, leaving Miami on its very first Carnival cruise. A fuel barge had to take off fuel so it could refloat. But once it was free of the sand, the barge could not pump the fuel back aboard. It was a Bahamas cruise, in the Bahamas they had to take all the coins out of the slot machines to buy enough fuel to get back to Miami.

Hard to believe they went from that VERY humble beginning to the world's largest cruiseline.

Edited by dan40
  • Thanks 1

It was our first cruise, in 1989. Paid for it (air + cruise) with now-defunct Piedmont Airlines FF points. They gave triple miles in those days and had fabulous award options!. It was only a 3-day FLL-Nassau-FLL cruise but we thought we had been inducted into royalty. I remember lots of wood & brass, an indoor pool, a movie theater and a one-level dining room (with a gala midnight buffet every night.) I don't know what cabin we had, but it was L-shaped, with a porthole, and I remember the sink was in the room.

First time in June 1976 for 7 nights on HS graduation trip with family

Miami, Nassau, San Juan, St. Thomas. Bought two Seiko self winders that still work today. Drank enough to float the ship off the sandbar...

Second time @ Summer of 1988. 4 nights from Miami, Nassau and Freeport. Met Texas DPS officer and his wife (also a teacher) on the plane. An absolute blast from sail away to returning home.

Another question: who's sailed the Ecstasy pre/post fire? We did, and have been on her 8 times. Ready to go again!

that was my first cruise in July/August 1987. My parents took the six of us, my grandmother, aunt, cousin plus a friend. I think we had five cabins. I would love to get credit for that sailing. I remember the small bathroom and the bunk beds were very... not sure the word. The uppers were attached and hinged to open up - remind me of old war movies when they show bunks in submarines. Very bulky.

We sailed out of Fort Lauderdale as I recall.

My first cruise was on Mardi Gras, 1984, Sept 2nd to be exact, myself and 2 girlfriends, I have a huge photo album full of memories, so fun, from throwing confetti given to you at sailaway, to the singles club on board, to DOD served in GLASS (their traditional souvenir glass), and free deck of cards and matches with the Carnival logo. Addicted to cruising ever since!!!

I sure did sail that lovely ship! My first cruise. I went with my best friend and my daughter.

I remember thinking how big it was. We were so excited about going to Nassau and Freeport! Oh -- I'm still excited! I'm going to Nassau and Freeport in about 6 weeks on the Pride!!! Woo Hoo

Were on it in the 1970's.

Inside cabin, no telephones, and tiny bathroom, like a camper shower, where you had to lower toilet seat and close curtain.

We were young and had a great time. Also met some nice people with whom we

met later in Vegas.

Fond memories.

Now I will not take anyhing less than balconies after 29 cruises.

Going on the Miracle in March.