Explorer - first time cruiser questions

HongKongAlan

Hi CC community

A couple of very novice questions from a first time cruiser (booked on Explorer April 26 in a concierge suite):

1) I've read in a few places about the embarkation process involving being directed to the theatre. Is this correct? If so what's the point?

2) as part of embarkation I understand that our cabin is probably not going to be available. How do you know when it is available?

Thanks in advance.

Alan

Alan, in some ports there is a facility on the pier for the embarkation administration process - credit card scanning, passports and key card registration and so on but where this isn't possible, a bank of computers is set up in the theatre and the process is conducted there instead. When it's on board, there's the added advantage of a glass of champagne to ease the pain ;-)

Having done all of that, you are free to explore the ship and have a bite to eat and relax for a while. We usually head up to the pool deck and frequently encounter one or two familiar faces along the way, but nevertheless, that first drink and light lunch inevitably makes us feel like we're home. When the suites are ready, the Captain usually makes an announcement, though folks are often pretty relaxed by that time and there's no immediate rush to go and unpack.

Thank you for asking the question and allowing me to muse on the embarkation process. We board in a couple of weeks time and I'm rather savouring the thought of being on board again!

Gilly, what cruise are you taking? We also leave in a couple of weeks - San Diego to Aukland. I have loved reading your blog on your travels. You have a wonderful point of view!

Hong Kong Alan, Sorry to hijack the thread...I agree with Gilly's comments about embarkation. The process is usually very efficient - whether at the port hall or in the theater. I hope you love Regent as much as we do!

Forgap, we'll be boarding Explorer in LA and sailing to Miami. Shame we won't get to meet - I guess ships that pass in the night might be apt on this occasion, for our first stop is San Diego! Thank you for kind words about my blog...I'll be sharing stories of this trip too and maybe you will be telling us about yours?

We've not done the trans-Pacific though know NZ well as a result of dh's work there. I'm envious of your trip, though on this occasion, can't really complain, can I?! ;-)

Alan, my apologies too - here's hoping you have a great cruise!

Forgap, we'll be boarding Explorer in LA and sailing to Miami. Shame we won't get to meet - I guess ships that pass in the night might be apt on this occasion, for our first stop is San Diego! Thank you for kind words about my blog...I'll be sharing stories of this trip too and maybe you will be telling us about yours?

We've not done the trans-Pacific though know NZ well as a result of dh's work there. I'm envious of your trip, though on this occasion, can't really complain, can I?! ;-)

Alan, my apologies too - here's hoping you have a great cruise!

No worries Gilly and thanks to you and Forgap for the response. First ever cruise so hoping Explorer was a good choice.

Does anyone know if Rome/Citavichie will require a champagne laden trip to the theatre as part of boarding?

No worries Gilly and thanks to you and Forgap for the response. First ever cruise so hoping Explorer was a good choice.

Does anyone know if Rome/Citavichie will require a champagne laden trip to the theatre as part of boarding?

I'm pretty sure that it does. Regent does make embarkation better than most other cruise lines and, IMO, there is nothing better than the Explorer!

I'm pretty sure that it does. Regent does make embarkation better than most other cruise lines and, IMO, there is nothing better than the Explorer!

Thanks TC2, one of our ports is Monte Carlo. Any experience of that port? I was hope we could basically do a self guided look around for a few hours and then head back to the ship rather than being dragged around in a bus on an organised tour. Always enjoy reading your posts by the way, keep up the great work as it's been appreciated :-)

We have taken included tours but also done our own. Last time we walked up to museum oceanographic, up near the Royal Palace. It was quite a hike up and was really hot, was June. We then walked back later on taking in more sights. It's nice to sit in the Cafe d Paris for a drink and watch the world go by and soak up the ambience.

Thanks TC2, one of our ports is Monte Carlo. Any experience of that port? I was hope we could basically do a self guided look around for a few hours and then head back to the ship rather than being dragged around in a bus on an organised tour. Always enjoy reading your posts by the way, keep up the great work as it's been appreciated :-)

You can definitely walk around on your own there, but the ship tour to Eze is nice. Basically you go by bus there, but are then on your own to explore. It is a nice village.

Thank you for the kind words. Yes - we have been to Monte Carlo a couple of times - really a unique walking city. Agree that the Oceanographic Museum is good to visit - the most unique aquarium that we have seen in the world. Also enjoyed walking around the palace area - the parks, small cafe's etc. I found a website http://www.gpsmycity.com/gps-tour-guides/monte-carlo-3235.html where there is a map of different walking areas - it may be helpful to you.

I apparently did not remember boarding in Rome very well. If there is a hall where they are set up to process you in, you will still get champagne when you board the ship but may get to skip the theater part.

When is your cruise on the Explorer? We'll be onboard when the ship returns to Europe after wintering in warmer climates.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all, explorer has lots of 5 hour shore excursions that start a 9.00 am. Back on board I presume by 2.00pm. Will the main restaurants be open still or just room service and the pool grill?

When there are tours arriving late, La Veranda will stay open another hour or so.

In our experience La Veranda only sometimes remains open an

Extra hour. However the Pool Grill is always open until 4pm and

Offers a wide variety of items from salads to deserts w many items that you can special order...burgers, lobster nachos, Reuben's, Cubano sandwiches to name a few. At 4 pm there is tea time or room service.