Suites 1204, 1205, 1206 & 1207 on Explorer

shuguley

On the Explorer, suites 1204, 1205, 1206 & 1207 use to be classified as "Seven Seas - SS1". Tonight when I look at the Regent web site I see they are shown as "Explorer - ES". These suites are the same size as other SS1 so the only difference seems to be the deck 12 location.

Anyone know if these suites have been reclassified or is this just another error on the Regent web site?

Hi, I suspect that it is another error. For one thing, the Explorer suites have 2 full bathrooms. The description of this suite indicates one bathroom. Most Seven Seas Suites have 1 1/2 bathrooms. It I can find a previous deck plan I want to check to see what those sites were when we were onboard. Very strange.

Happy New Year!

I agree with TC. It's probably a website error. As a check I just did a dummy booking for the March 11, 2018 Explorer cruise. None of the upper suites had changed categories. In particular suites 1205, 1206, 1207, and 1208 were still listed as SS1 suites. All the upper suites were exactly as they always have always been categorized.

Edited by DaveFr

Just looked at the "book" (the one that shows all of the deck plans) from a few months ago. They are definitely Seven Seas SS1 suites. I'm not sure if the write-up is accurate either. It is so difficult to figure out which Seven Seas suites have 1 1/2 baths that our TA had to contact Regent and get a list.

Its funny that I should stumble across this thread as friends of ours just emailed to say their Explorer Suite cruise later this year has now been rebranded to a Grand Suite and they are being extended the perks associated with the Grand Suite. The website is misleading because it shows the Explorer and Grand Suites with the same room layout but differing square footage measurements. I am sure we will see an updated deck plan and room layout for all categories once the rebranding is complete. Does anyone have any more info with regards to this topic?

Ashley

Edited by goldengatecruisers

Just received confirmation from my TA that these suites have been reclassified by Regent. They are now Explorer classification.

Very disappointed to hear this news. Firstly, although we love the 1 1/2 bath Seven Seas Suites, they are not the size of Explorer Suites. We booked a Grand Suite on our last Explorer cruise because of the poor location of the Explorer suites (under the bridge, etc.) How can Regent charge the same amount for a smaller suite (and with only 1 1/2 baths while Explorer suites had two full baths). I suppose that most passengers will not know the difference.

In terms of Explorer Suites becoming Grand Suites - I do "get it" as they are almost identical (Explorer Suites have a bidet while Grand Suites do not and Grand Suites have a balcony that may be three times the size of Explorer suites). If someone is considering "former" Explorer suites, I would warn them about what I mentioned in the previous paragraph as well as the balcony size.

While getting additional benefits, IMO, it is important to know about the differences.

Note: We have toured all of the suites on the Explorer twice (just to make sure we were fairly comfortable with understanding the differences).

Edited by Travelcat2

We are booked in the Explorer Suite under the bridge (it was the only one available at the time of booking) and were thinking that it would be a fine enough location for us - can you tell us specifically what the drawbacks would be? My impression was that the Explorer Suites under the pool deck on Deck 10 would be noisier, although they appear to be bigger on the deck plan and we certainly would prefer mid ship.....If one opens up on deck 10 do you recommend we switch over?

And we are booked in 921 late February on the Explorer. A SS1 suite. Just received a Regent email through my TA stating that our suite is now called an Explorer suite. Additional (significant) perks are VC champagne and a full caviar service in suite. Sounds simply like a renaming game....but my two favorite food groups are champagne and caviar so I'm happy !!

And we are booked in 921 late February on the Explorer. A SS1 suite. Just received a Regent email through my TA stating that our suite is now called an Explorer suite. Additional (significant) perks are VC champagne and a full caviar service in suite. Sounds simply like a renaming game....but my two favorite food groups are champagne and caviar so I'm happy !!

We too are booked in a SS1 Suite from 5th March for 20 nights. We are in 919, which is next to 921.

We haven't heard anything from Regent or our TA yet but note on the deck plan that 919 & 921 have both been reclassified as Explorer Suite.

Had we have booked 919 after these changes had been made, the incremental on cost would have been £4,000, for the same suite with a few minor add ons !

It appears that some of the larger suites are being reclassified (upwards).

SS1 - the ones with the deeper verandas (and Deck 12) are being re-classified as Explorer.

SS2 - the same suites, but with shallower verandas, are renamed as plain SS.

SS1/SS2 categories are no more.

As has already been noted Explorer & Grand Suites are also affected.

It appears that Regent feel that they can get more $$$ for their upper end suites.

morneau: When we were in a suite under the bridge on the Navigator, we could hear heavy footsteps 24/7 (it was the Captain and his/her crew that we were hearing). It was very annoying. While the Explorer is well sound-proofed from suite to suite, it was not when something like the bridge was above you (or the Observation Lounge was below you). This was due to be corrected when the ship was in Miami (insulation was onboard during our transatlantic journey).

shuguley: It may just be the photo of the Explorer suite. The only liquor set-up we had in the Grand Suite was two bottles of our selected alcohol. I doubt if the Explorer Suites are given more than that.

Dave, you're right about the pricing. Interestingly, we were booked in a Seven Seas Suite that is now a Grand Suite but cancelled the cruise. We missed out on being "lucky" like bebop bonnie is:)

Hopefully people wanting to book these suites will be particularly aware that the Grand Suites could have a balcony that is 277 ft. or one that is 916 ft. And, the Explorer suites no longer have 2 full baths but instead 1 1/2 baths.

Interestingly, we were booked in a Seven Seas Suite that is now a Grand Suite but cancelled the cruise.

For the avoidance of any doubt please allow me to seek some clarification on this. As I note above, as far as I can see, all Seven Seas 1's have been re-categorised as Explorer Suites, and the Seven Seas 2's as Seven Seas Suites.

I think it is the 4 Explorer Suites (901/902/1012/1015) that have been re-categorised as Grand Suites is it not ?

This is a significant increase in pricing going forward for the suites categories named.

FDR has obviously realised that the cost of his extravagances during the fit-out of Explorer cannot just be recouped by income from the Regent Suite

To balance-the-books Regent is having to squeeze more dollars out of other suites; making them more attractive by some extra dining perks and appealing to those who aspire to being FDR's "one percent" in the Trump era :rolleyes:

No need to disparage those who opt to stay in the named suites on Explorer. People choose to spend their money in whatever way suits their wants and needs - that's what a democracy is all about. Happy to have whatever extra perks are thrown our way, and certainly won't apologize for them.

For the avoidance of any doubt please allow me to seek some clarification on this. As I note above, as far as I can see, all Seven Seas 1's have been re-categorised as Explorer Suites, and the Seven Seas 2's as Seven Seas Suites.

I think it is the 4 Explorer Suites (901/902/1012/1015) that have been re-categorised as Grand Suites is it not ?

This is a significant increase in pricing going forward for the suites categories named.

Personally, the former two categories of Seven Seas suites was so confusing that my TA had to speak with their Regent representative in order to figure out which was which. Some S1's had 1 1/2 baths and some S2's did which caused the confusion. I just went to Regent's website and clicked on Seven Seas suite 702. Hopefully this link will take you to the description https://www.rssc.com/ships/explorer.aspx?Ship=EXP . In one place it says that it has 1 bath and in the other it says 1 1/2 baths.

While you are probably correct, if I was going to book a Seven Seas or Explorer suite, I would double check the size and number of bathrooms before booking. Sorry that I could not have been of more assistance.

Note: Just checked out the link - it takes you only to the Deck Plan page. To see what I was describing, go to deck 7 and click on 702.

Edited by Travelcat2