Get ready for Ocean Medallion Class™

IECalCruiser

Just saw this information. What are your thoughts?

LAS VEGAS (AP) — What if your room on a cruise ship were to unlock automatically as you approach, or if the wait staff could bring your favorite cocktail before you even ask?

Carnival Corp., the operator of such cruise lines as Princess, Holland America and Carnival, wants to make that happen so it can get cozier with its guests and make cruises even more personalized.

Carnival is using the CES gadget show in Las Vegas on Wednesday to unveil new concierge technology designed to help crew members anticipate and respond to passengers' needs. It will rely on sensors and wearable trackers, and is scheduled to debut on the Regal Princess cruise ship in November.

The leisure-cruise industry is playing catch-up with travel peers like hotels and airlines, which now let you unlock rooms with a smartwatch or fly with a boarding pass on your phone.

Personalization is important as cruise ships get bigger and come across as impersonal, said Mike Driscoll, editor-in-chief of Cruise Week, an industry publication. Personalization can also help cruise companies attract more first-timers, including tech-savvy millennials.

"It's catching up to what life is like on the land," Driscoll said.

Whether anticipating guests' needs will feel useful or creepy remains to be seen. Those who might be spooked don't have to use the medallion or can limit how much they want to participate, Carnival CEO Arnold Donald said.

"In the end, the guests will tell us," Donald told The Associated Press. "If it doesn't (resonate), it's back to the drawing board."

The linchpin of the system is a tracking medallion the size of a quarter. Cruise passengers wear it as a pendant, throw it into a purse or place it in a pocket. The medallion uses wireless technologies to communicate with sensors placed around the ship, cruise terminals and even airports, where staff can provide personalized greetings as passengers fly in.

Crew members armed with tablets can respond to any needs nearby. For example, a guest could be having a drink when a crew member comes by to remind him that a yoga class starts in five minutes. Or a waiter working poolside can ask whether a guest wants her usual gin and tonic.

In addition, interactive displays can offer personalized directions to guests' rooms. And the medallion ties into a payment system, so no one has to swipe or sign anything when buying souvenirs or drinks.

Donald said he hopes the service will encourage customers to sign up for repeat cruises while spending more on incidentals.

Different passengers might react quite differently to the service. "With your 83-year-old aunt in Saskatchewan, it might be too much," Driscoll said. But for a passenger in his 50s, such as Driscoll, it could make life on the ship "just easier."

Carnival plans to expand the setup to all other Princess ships in the next several years and eventually to other vessels. Carnival, the world's largest leisure travel company, owns more than 100 ships across 10 brands.

Personalization isn't new to the travel industry. Walt Disney World in Florida has a MagicBand wristband device that doubles as a room key and "FastPass" reservations to popular rides. The MagicBand is also linked to a credit card for speedier payments at restaurants and gift shops.

John Padgett, who was one of the chief architects of the MagicBand before joining Carnival in 2014, said the cruise ship's system goes further in eliminating the need to touch or tap a terminal. Sensors pick up signals automatically.

"There are no wires. There is no charging," Padgett said. "It doesn't require a guest or consumer to do anything specific."

Carnival officials say there will be safeguards against someone walking away with another guest's medallion. Each guest's profile is tied to a security picture, so a crew member can compare a passenger's photo on a portable device. Carnival also says the medallion doesn't contain sensitive information such as the stateroom number, much like a hotel room key. The company added that the system features additional authentication, although it declined to elaborate.

Donald said the technology could be adapted for other industries, too. Imagine a patient entering the hospital and being recognized immediately by a nurse without having to check in or fill out forms.

Original Article

Edited by LauraS
Include link to original source

Hi -- we've also posted a story on Cruise Critic -- had a great chance to visit the innovation center in Miami for a sneak look, and there's more coming this week in Las Vegas. Here 'tis: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7442.

Super excited to see what everyone thinks....

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Here's some more info on it http://www.cruisecritic.com.au/news/news.cfm?ID=7442

I think it's a good idea, I'd certainly like to try it.

My only concern is how soon before your cruise that they send it out to you. That could be an issue for people doing cruises as part of an extended vacation. Hopefully they'll have a Plan B in effect at embarkation ports.

It rolls out on Regal in November, then Royal and Caribbean. I suspect they'll then wait to see how people react to it before rolling out across the rest of the fleet - I understand it requires a significant technology upgrade onboard. If it goes down well on Princess then they'll roll it out to other Carnival Corp lines.

Apparently you get to keep the medallions after your cruise. Oh dear, I can just see it! People wearing all their medallions to "brag" how many cruises they've been on. The Princess replacement for a Pandora bracelet perhaps? :eek: :p :D

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

On the one hand it does sound interesting and innovative and perhaps will enhance the cruise experience. On the other hand it is frightening in that your every move will be tracked and stored, so much for privacy. Although I do see somewhere that the passenger may be able to fine tune it a bit.

I actually read a different article. http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/carnival-s-ocean-medallion-class-harnesses-technology-to-personalize-cruising.html .

Did anyone notice the evil word "class" in that article? I wonder if there will be an extra charge for Medallion Class, how it will effect elite and platinum boarding benefits, and if only certain cabins will have access to this. Like Club Class. Which I am no way opposed to, at least not until I have experienced it first hand. I just have spent too much time reading the threads with all the club class angst. I guess I will experience in December on the Regal Princess, while enjoying my club class dining.

Change isn't necessarily a bad thing, it is just hard to accept sometimes. I think this one could be a winner as long as the helpful suggestions don't become too obtrusive like all the announcements for the art auctions.

Sounds like IR Chip technology, like farmers use to track their cows. Cow A gets 2.5lb of feed today, with added vitamins, Cow B gets a different mix. etc. So as long as they don't track food intake, we should be good. ;)

I sure hope it doesn't erase 2-3 times in a cruise, like the current cruise cards do for me. :(

And I have a hard enough time tracking a cruise card, changing from day wear to swim suit to day wear to evening wear. A small coin like medallion doesn't stand a chance of being not lost sometime...

One does have to wonder what they will use for preferences, seeing as Princess has yet to get what we want in an Elite minibar setup straight, or even if we want a bathrobe.

Any chance we can set preferences to say "Not interested in Art Auction or Bingo" and stop all the paper ads and shipwide announcements? .... OK, probably not, just wishful thinking.

You would have to wonder what other information will be transmitted: "Cheapskate (doesn't drink)", or "heavy tipper" or... ???

Edited by Times Prince

The new guest experience platform will debut on Princess Cruises' Regal Princess in November 2017, followed by Royal Princess and Caribbean Princess in 2018. The new Medallion Class on Princess Cruises will be rolled out over multiple years on the entire Princess Cruises fleet.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2233686

I have used Disney Magic Band and it was easy to use and wear.

Unless Princess medalillion is in something, it will be easy to loose, not all clothes have pockets to put it. Princess will probably charge extra to put it in something.