Luxor

mrlevin

Confused on what we should do for Luxor next fall. There is an overnight excursion ($699) that we would need to book in advance and then a choice of four one day choice excursions (price unknown at this time) and one free excursion. Not knowing which temples and tombs are better to see than others, I am having a hard time deciding.

For those of you that have been before, can you give me some guidance? If curious as to description, the choices are at:

http://www.rssc.com/cruises/VOY171027/activities/regent-choice-plus-free/day-8/SAF-001/default.aspx#Excursions

I am leaning towards exclusive luxor:

http://www.rssc.com/cruises/VOY171027/activities/regent-choice-plus-free/day-8/SAF-012/default.aspx#Excursions

as it is only one that specifically mentions Nefertari tomb; although the two day just says you get into three tombs not mentioning if all are options.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Marc

I haven't visited Luxor on a cruise but have taken several land-based holidays there.

I'd like to do a combination of both of those tours and would find it difficult to choose between the two. :D

What swings it for me though is the inclusion of Karnak temple on the 'Exclusive Luxor' option. For me, Karnak is the most stunning temple in Egypt and it's unmissable IMO.

I'm concerned that your tour of it may be a little rushed, depends what time you leave the dock I guess.

It's a pity that Hatshepsut Mortuary temple isn't included in this tour even briefly to just to stand in awe of the architecture. But the Nefertari tomb is certainly worth seeing, the paintings are superb.

I haven't been back to Luxor for about a decade, your post makes me want to plan a visit!

We went to Luxor for two consecutive years before the Arab Spring. Absolutely loved it, but OH won't go back.

Karnak Temple, Luxor Temple, Hapshepsuts Temple, Abydos, Dendera are all must sees. Very easy, reliable and cheap to organise a private mini bus and guide from a local tour operator. We were impressed with the service.

I agree with LondonTower. Those are the must-sees and the way to do it is a private tour. The local economy needs your money more than the cruise line and the Egyptians are the most welcoming, friendly culture possible. I'd add the Karnak Sound & Light show if you can squeeze it in. I was in Egypt about 18 months ago and loved every minute.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Macr,

I agree with your choice of the "Exclusive Luxor" tour. We did Luxor overnight on the 2008 Discovery tour. It is a very long ride from the port to Luxor across a very barren desert and the buses make just one stop for bathroom at mid way. We had an armed convoy with us.

One thought? how much is the full day mini-van? Get some others to split the cost and have the drive just follow the same route. I would skip the lunch on the Nile, if possible, to me it was a waste of valuable time. The hotel they put us up in was right on the Nile bank so you get a sense of the river from their. We had an special dinner at night at the Karnack Temple which was a lot of fun. Go if they still do that.

j

595/40

We were there in May on the Voyager and took a tour to the Valley of the Kings and Luxor. The ride from the port was 3 hours, through deserts and small towns. Observing village life along the way was quite interesting. There are multiple checkpoints along the way and we were cautioned not to take photos from the bus. Armed soldiers in turrets were at the checkpoints. Our guide said some were military, some were for the police, and some were for traffic control. The purpose was not to keep terrorism in check (i asked) but to apprehend criminals. I didn't completely buy the story as the network of checks was too extensive.

On arriving in Luxor, we had lunch at a hotel on the Nile, pretty location, decent lunch, then on to the valley of the kings. We toured three tombs. I have to caution you, though, as it is HOT! Like a giant convection oven. The valley is completely without vegetation and the tombs are uphill, then one must take stairs deep down into the mountain. Of course, that means stairs up on return. Only five of us managed the third tomb and I fell out of line when I saw how steep,the stairs were. I think I was getting a bit of heat stroke - flushed and faint. The Egyptian guard even gave me his seat and fanned me with my hat! I'm not that old and unfit, but my Anglo Saxon blood was definely protesting the conditions!

We then had a photo stop at Hapshepsuts Temple and then an extensive tour of the Luxor Temple.

It was a long day but worth it. I don't think they offered an overnight option for our trip. I'll try to post pics.

Marq

Like a previous poster this thread has also made me want to return to Egypt.

Since we were there many businesses have had to close and hotels almost empty. For that reason I would consider doing the trip with a local operator. You will get a very good price in a top hotel and the excursions will be very cheap. You will also be able to negotiate the price with them.

In Luxor the two years we went we used Petra Travel and were well looked after by them from the moment they picked us up at the airport. I have no idea if they are still in business but there are other agencies recommended on the Luxor Forum of Tripadvisor.

I didn't realize that we could recommend tours here. I guess we can, so want to mention Real Egypt and Samir Abbass. He and his group took very good care of me for a week in Cairo and Luxor. Tell him Melissa from Idaho referee you. I booked my own hotels and really enjoyed the Winter Palace in Luxor. Had a huge Nile view room and included breakfast was great. I rarely saw another guest! I'd go back in a heartbeat, but not in June! I hope it will be cooler in the fall. Be prepared with hats, spray bottles, and stay well-hydrated.

Here's my two cents on the tours, having been to Luxor just over a year ago (on a Nile river cruise.) As always there are compromises to be made, since you can't see everything. For instance,

Ancient Luxor (SAF-001) sounds great, but doesn't take you to Karnak, which seems a shame.

Exclusive Luxor (SAF-012) does include Karnak, and a Nile lunch cruise which would be nice, but doesn't seem to include the Temple of Luxor, which is also a shame.

Day at Luxor (SAF-E03) includes Karnak and the Luxor Temple, but not the Valley of the Kings.

Iconic Temples of Luxor (SAF-011) sounds good too. If you can get to see the Luxor Temple at or near sunset and after dark, it's really impressive.

The point is you can't do it all.

I'm not sure how they can specify which tombs you're going to visit in the Valley of the Kings, since there are only a few tombs open at any particular time, and these vary. When we were there, for instance, Tut's tomb was closed.

I don't see a description of the overnight trip, but I would lean towards that, depending on the itinerary of course.

Melissaghotti

I think that any of the established tour operators will look after you well. Particularly now, when visitors are few and far between. I would contacta few of them and see what they can come up with and of course the trip would be tailor made.

If I decided to go with one of them I would then ask for a better price. Egyptians expect you to haggle. When we were there the private tours with driver and guide were very cheap. I can't imagine the prices have increased too much.

We went in mid December and the temperature was ideal, around 23-25c during the day and cool in the evening, perfect. For me June would possibly be too hot, but at least there is low humidity.

I am so pleased we went when we did. I found it very interesting and amazed at how well preserved it is.

As LondonTower says, you'll be treated well. I found Egyptians, both in and out of the tourism business, to be the warmest, most welcoming people I've met traveling. I'm glad I had enough free time when I was there to get to know them. The language barrier just didn't seem to matter. If you negotiate a price for a tour, be sure you know what the saving is in your currency. What may end up not being much of a saving to you will mean a lot to the guide living in Egypt's bleak tourist economy.

We were there in May on the Voyager and took a tour to the Valley of the Kings and Luxor. The ride from the port was 3 hours, through deserts and small towns. Observing village life along the way was quite interesting. There are multiple checkpoints along the way and we were cautioned not to take photos from the bus. Armed soldiers in turrets were at the checkpoints. Our guide said some were military, some were for the police, and some were for traffic control. The purpose was not to keep terrorism in check (i asked) but to apprehend criminals. I didn't completely buy the story as the network of checks was too extensive.

On arriving in Luxor, we had lunch at a hotel on the Nile, pretty location, decent lunch, then on to the valley of the kings. We toured three tombs. I have to caution you, though, as it is HOT! Like a giant convection oven. The valley is completely without vegetation and the tombs are uphill, then one must take stairs deep down into the mountain. Of course, that means stairs up on return. Only five of us managed the third tomb and I fell out of line when I saw how steep,the stairs were. I think I was getting a bit of heat stroke - flushed and faint. The Egyptian guard even gave me his seat and fanned me with my hat! I'm not that old and unfit, but my Anglo Saxon blood was definely protesting the conditions!

We then had a photo stop at Hapshepsuts Temple and then an extensive tour of the Luxor Temple.

It was a long day but worth it. I don't think they offered an overnight option for our trip. I'll try to post pics.

We did the same tour about 4 years ago and it was one of the most interesting and at the same time worst tours we had with Regent.

The trip to Luxor, in a convoy of buses, each with an armed guard at front, was interesting. According to the destination desk, the buses were supposed to be in a convoy, but driving testosterone ended the driving in convoy after about an hour and each bus was on it's on (yes, some driver won the contest). Same experience at that time with the check points etc.

Arriving at Luxor, the amount of hawkers trying to sell you everything for one dollar (or more) was almost overwhelming, but had to be expected.

We also had tickets for 3 tombs, but the most famous one, Tut's Tomb was not included. Our guide recommended that we didn't bother with it as it wasn't worth it (we found out later he didn't want us to spend the time in it as he had other plans). People who went in there (another $20 fee) told us it was well worth it and much more interesting than the others.

We had probably the worst guide we've ever encountered on any Regent tour. He was not interested in guiding his group, but more in selling his "cartouches" (Habibi, you have to buy them. My friend makes the best, much less expensive than in stores etc etc etc). Many passengers bought some and he left us to "get it organized". On the way back, again, initially in convoy, we realized we were driving in circles for a while and as it turned out, he was waiting for a delivery of more cartouches. We met a motorcycle "courier" on a lonely road and when he got his delivery, we were able to drive back to the ship, the last bus to arrive.

So in short: Valley of the Kings (Death Valley temps) was great, but do visit Tut's Tomb. Luxor Temple nice, etc. Beware of guides :-)

Other people from the ship who had booked the overnight tour to Karnak etc told us they loved it.

Thanks for all the input. I am leaning towards Exclusive Luxor as it includes both Tut's and Nefertari's tombs. Of course, inshallah, who knows whether excursion will actually be available 240 days in advance.

Again, thanks,

Marc

Edited by Marq

My cruise in May stopped in Egypt for only one day. I opted for the tour that visited Karnak and the Luxor temples as well as the Luxor museums. They were all very worthwhile to see but realize: 1) it's a REALLY long day 2) it can be scorchingly hot 3) much depends on your guide.

If you can stay overnight, do it. People I spoke with who went to the valley of the kings were disappointed.

I'd say that disappointment in the Valley of Kings or Queens would suggest a problem with the tour. They're absolutely amazing unless you aren't interested in the archaeology or Egyptology. A few can be a little awkward to enter. Some spaces are tight, with narrow steps, so be prepared for that. It's hot too, but that makes the tombs and temples even more inviting.

There has been lots of good advice here. One thing that is implied in many of the posts but not really directly addressed is that going to Luxor as part of a cruise on Voyager requires a long long bus ride. That is worth it: Luxor is that amazing. But ...

However, I feel really lucky that I saw Luxor and a lot more as part of the river cruise on the Nile. Ours was with Uniworld, who I would recommend without hesitation, but there are alternatives.

I'd say that disappointment in the Valley of Kings or Queens would suggest a problem with the tour. They're absolutely amazing unless you aren't interested in the archaeology or Egyptology. A few can be a little awkward to enter. Some spaces are tight, with narrow steps, so be prepared for that. It's hot too, but that makes the tombs and temples even more inviting.

Yes, the tombs we were in in the Valley of the Kings were amazing. But so is Karnak, and so is the Luxor Temple.

Marc, if you can manage an overnight, do it.

I would have to say that, aside from Abu Simbel, which is not in Luxor at all, the highlight for me was Karnak. It in itself could consume an entire day.

We did not go to the Valley of the Queens, i.e., Nefertari's tomb. It looks amazing.

It's impossible to see everything in a short stay. See what you can comfortably squeeze in and let it whet your appetite for a return.

There's still Cairo, the Pyramids, and definitely Abu Simbel for starters.

Consider the bus trip and transportation between sites part of the experience. You'll see things you haven't before.

Enjoy!

Consider the bus trip and transportation between sites part of the experience. You'll see things you haven't before.

Enjoy!

That's so true, isn't it? We had some bus rides of more than an hour to various places from Luxor and Aswan and watching the people and the scenery was quite fascinating.